Author Topic: doseage for piriton syrup - pollen allergy??  (Read 871 times)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
doseage for piriton syrup - pollen allergy??
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:28 PM »
Hey everyone Jagger has poorly eyes, they are red and are discharging a bit.  I have a feeling that it is down to pollen as he only had one gunky eye on Monday after rushing through some plants :-\.  I checked him thoroughly (there was nothing there) and washed it with boiled water.  After a couple of hours the eye was just red and only watering a bit.  Now he has both eyes red and watery.  He isnt too bothered by it, and the discharge isnt very yellow (I have been searching on COL!!) he looks tbh like I do with bad hayfever ::). I think he might have got some pollen in one eye on monday and now the pollen count has increased (even I was suffering this morning) it has affected both eyes.  :huh:

I am still cleaning them both with a saline solution/boiled water alternating between the two and I want to give him some piriton solution.  I have the childrens version and there are several doseage options.  I have tried him with 2.5mls and although his eyes are less watery they are still watering a bit and they are red.  Does anyone else know what the correct dose is and how often I can give it (short term and long term?)?

I dont want to OD him ph34r.  I feel so sorry for him, they do look bloodshot!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: doseage for piriton syrup - pollen allergy??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »
Jarv gets a teaspoon full - it does make him drowsy but seems to work at that level and he's back to normal in the morning - oh, and he's not allowed to drive the car when he has it or operate heavy machinery  ;)

I've also used cold tea on his eyes and this really seems to soothe them.
helen & jarvis x

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »
Brilliant! Thanks, I will go make his eyes a cup of tea now and let it cool.  I might have to wait til bedtime to give him another dose of piriton now though and then I will double it to 5mls   :D

I so hope it works, poor little guy looks like he had a heavy night on the sauce  :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
Poor Kali gets really bad hayfever and her eyes suffer terribly.  I usually take her to the vets to make sure she doesn't have a scratch on the eye and if not, leave without anything ph34r  I try the hayfever medicine.  Then if that doesn't work I use the equivalent of Chloramycetin drops (which is what the vets give me anyway), that my OH gets in Dubai over the counter.  It is the same as Optrex Infected Eyes only cheaper and less hassle to get for dogs.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
terrible isnt it?  :-\  I know its not likely to be a scratch although initially i was worried about that.  But now its both eyes.  If its not clearing up soon then to the vets we go anyway...I think we will prob come out with nothing though.  just £30 lighter for the trouble  :005: 

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Yay! Jagger was loads better this morning and now looks back to normal so it looks like my hunch was right and it is a pollen allergy.

Thank you for the advice, the tea on the eyes seemed to help soothe him too.

Is he going to need piriton every day now til sept or will he be ok do you think?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
depends what he's allergic too - may be something that's over and done with soon.  I would only give the piriton when he's suffering   ;)
helen & jarvis x