Author Topic: 3.1/2 weeks old and killed by the Veterinary Practice - Update  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
This is a long story but will try to make it brief....I had waited 2.1/2 years until my Rio was old enough to have a litter, with the sole purpose of keeping one.  Puppies duly arrived, 3 blue dogs; 1 blue bitch and 1 orange bitch.  The orange was mine!  I called her "Rosie".
At 6.30am 15th May I noticed she looked unwell and seemed to be in pain with her stomach.  Straight to the vet when they opened.  Vet (lets call her Ann) suspected an intussusception and x-rayed/scanned. She found a 'sausage' shape in her stomach and told me if they didn't operate Rosie would die.  Two vets did the op - Ann and (lets call him Sam).  No intussusception but an inflamed bowel with a build up of mucus.  For some reason they removed this part of the bowel when it should have been treated with anit-biotics and steriods (have consulted 2 other vets who both said this).  I was told by Ann that she had phoned RCVS Cambridge re feeding and they had said liquivite.  I was not happy with this, only started to wean 3 days prior to this onto tiny amounts of Lactol - Ann not happy either, she told me the operation site not sewn together well and was "leaking" hence the risk of fatal peritonitis.  Why did they not sew 'good' ends together I ask, but leave it leaking?

We arranged to keep Rosie on fluids (drip in place) and I would take Rio in to feed her.  THESE WERE MY WISHES AND THE ARRANGEMENT. Sam took Rosie home that night.  Phoned next morning first thing, Rosie was bright and walking round the cage - great news!!  Phoned again couple of hours later to be told she had been force-fed 15ml of liquivite via a syringe.  NOT GOOD NEWS - told them of the arrangement to take Rio in, but reply was "Cambridge said...."  I took myself to the practice to see what was going on as I was not happy.  Walked in to find Rosie with no heat-pad; no heating in the room (I had a fleece on it was cold) lying on her stomach face down in dry vomit.  The nurse said "well shes only just done it" and then informed me she had force-fed her another 10mls of liquivite during the time it took me to get there.
Sam was present and I asked him why there was no heat-pad - his reply? "her temperature come down and we don't want to over heat her!!" this pup was 3.1/2 weeks old - even I know puppies this age can't retainbody heat and this one had just had major surgery.  Nurse handed Rosie to me and I saw she had faeces/urine on her back-end - nurse layed her back down on clean vet-bed and covered her with vet-bed that had vomit on one corner. I was not at all happy. Came home, phoned the Head Vet, told him what I had found and after discussing the alternatives, Rosie comes home.  I got clean vet-bed in a clean bread-crate, positioned a heat-lamp over it and put a hook on the door for the drip.  Arrived to collect Rosie - she was obviously very ill. Nurse handed her to me and I saw she still had the mess round her back end and had opened her bowels again.  I said "you haven't even bothered to clean her up have you?"  Nurse said "shes only just done it" I replied it was there when I saw her before and that I was VERY VERY ANGRY.  Sam present but quickly left the area.

Went to reception with Rosie in blanket and wrapped up hot water bottle.  Was handed a can of "Hills Science Diet Protein Dog Food" to feed her with - had they not been giving her liquivite????  and should not have been??? 

Arrived home put Rosie straight on vet-bed, switched on heat lamp, hung up drip.  Went and washed my hands and set about trying to get some of the mess off her hind quarters with damp cotton wool. There was faeces/urine around her back end; down her back legs - around the scar area also.  Urine even down her sides - she had been lying in this all day, no doubt.  She smelt absolutely dreadful.  There was even dry vomit on the plaster covering the drip.

I did my best to get it off without much success as it was dried on.  Lay Rosie back on vet-bed and watched her constantly.  I had noticed her breathing was 'raspy' and there was what looked like food bubbling out of her nose.  I've had dogs for 30 years plus, have bred; shown; judged etc and this puppy had all the typical signs of having food in her lungs.

Rosie was twitching and appeared to  be deeply asleep.  Within 15/20minutes she gave a cough and stopped breathing.  At first I couldn't believe she had died, I put my hand on her side, touched her muzzle but there were no signs of life.  I removed the drip, picked her up, sat on the sofa and sobbed.

Showed her to Rio who was very distressed and kept nudging her, so crying my eyes out I put Rosie in a small towel, in a shoe box on my kitchen worktop - evenso Rio tried to jump up to her.

This puppy was operated on when she shouldn't have been; was left cold; lying in faeces; urine and vomit and then force-fed liquivite via a syringe. My wishes and arrangements for feeding were totally ignored.
I feel so very guilty for taking her there in the first place, and betrayed by the vet in question.  I also lost the pup I had been waiting over 2 years for.  However, 3 couples came to look at one of the blue roan dogs and I said no to them all - I'm very careful where my puppies go - so he's staying with me and his mum.  I've called him Blue and he's the one positive thing to come out of this whole mess.

I'm finishing the story now.  A lot more has happened as you can imagine, but its too lengthy to write here.
I took my sick 3.1/2 week old puppy to the vet and trusted them with her care and indeed her life.  They made a catalogue of errors.  Its a memory that will stay with me for a very very long time.

Offline mharriss

Re: 3.1/2 weeks old and killed by the Veterinary Practice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
I am so so sorry for all that you and Rio have been through.  Rosie should NEVER have been treated in that way.  Nothing will ever bring back your beautiful girl but sincerely hope that you get the apology you deserve and lets hope these vets never do this to another puppy.  Hearts and thoughts are truly with you and Rio  :luv: :luv:.  I hope the rest of the litter are safe and well.

xx Michelle and Charliexx

Offline ladyburden

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
omg! utter disbelief, so sorry to all of you what an awful experience to have. Cant understand the gross actions of the medical staff.  >:D >:D..Big hugs to you xx

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your little girl  :'( :'(

The callous way you and the pup were treated is disgusting.
From the Darby family

Offline Tess72

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
Your poor little baby :'( I am so sorry for you and poor Rio how devastin for you both, and how absolutely disgusting of the vetinary practice >:D >:D sending healing thoughts and hugs to you and Rio xxx
Tess n Florence xx

Offline Saffi

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
Sorry for your loss, it will make me think twice about always trusting the vets!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
So very sorry to here about your pup  :'(

We put trust in our vets, this story is dreadful  :'(  I hope you have written a letter of complaint.

Take care Jo

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
Very sorry to hear of this and the unnecessary suffering for your little one, may Rosie run free and leave you with some happy memories from her initial short life.

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
You must report this to the RCVS.

This may or may not be neglect but either way, it must be investigated.

My heart goes out to you and poor Rio. :'(
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
What an awful thing!  :'( It's hard enough to raise a litter without a cr@p vet!  >:D

Sending healing, positive thoughts for you and Rio   :luv:

Run free baby Rosie
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

I agree....if one positive thing can come from such a desperately sad situation then its the knowledge that you spoke out to stop this happening again.

Sending you alot of love at this sad time :luv: :'(
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline emilymae

• Sue and Emily-Mae
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
So very very sorry for your loss, what a terrible story.  Surely you can report this vet or take some sort of legal action here?  I know it won't compensate you but it might stop them being so careless with other people's precious pets.
Tilly. Forever remembered

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »
So, so, so sorry to read this  :'( Poor little Rosie should never have been treated in this way  :'( I can't believe she was left in the state she was. As Bracken says, you put your trust in vets expecting them to do their absolute best for the animals in their 'care'.

- totally agree.

Sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs to yourself, Rio and Rosies Littermates.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »
Thank you for your replies - this is a shocking story.

I have written two letters to the practice manager with numerous questions as to what happened with little Rosie.

To date I have not had one answer.

They have cancelled the bill and the Head Vet has apologised.  The nurse in question who was supposed to be "looking" after Rosie has now left the practice.  I'm finding out tomorrow as to why.  I hope she's been sacked.  Its too late for Rosie though isn't it?

Two vets operated and both made the decision to remove part of Rosie's bowel when this condition should have been treated with medications.  The two vets I have consulted with said that with the correct care Rosie would have survived.

The practice manager has referred me to their insurers for compensation - but it won't bring my puppy back will it?  I have complained to the RCVS (enclosing three Statements from people who saw Rosie, one is the stud dog owner who saw her after death - all confirming what I have said).

I also have Rosie's Clinical notes which have her age as 3 MONTHS not 3 WEEKS and her birthdate as 15th March not 21st April - this would only have made her 2 months, so where did the birthdate and age come from??  yet another mistake......  There is only one sheet of notes -nothing about what was done in the operation; nothing about the feeding arrangements - no temperature charts; nothing to say she had been monitored and nothing after the morning of 16th May.

I cannot sleep thinking something like this is happening to another animal at this practice - I hope the RCVS investigate.  I have now changed my Vet.

The reason I've told this story is this....I had been at this veterinary practice for many many years and trusted them.  I am sure a lot of you have vets you trust also.  Please double check and check again as to what your vet is doing with your dog.  What has happened with Rosie can happen again.

Offline JACK1

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
I am so sorry  :'(

I hope those vets pay for this.

rio and little blue will give you some comfort.

love helen and jack
X