Author Topic: 3.1/2 weeks old and killed by the Veterinary Practice - Update  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Re: 3.1/2 weeks old and killed by the Veterinary Practice - Update again
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »
Guess what?? I received a reply from the RCVS today.

All they are going to investigate is why I was not given a "range of reasonable treatment options". They said it was fine to leave a 3 week old pup lying in her own mess and vomit for hours, and to clean her up would have "left her cold"- there was no heat pad or heating in the room anyway, so who gave a damn if she was cold?

They also said it was probably in "her best interests" to force-feed liquivite instead of having her mothers milk  :o :o :o

Nothing mentioned about the arrangements I made being totally ignored.  Nothing about the mess of Clinical notes stating wrong age; date of birth ect.

I will be compiling a very strong letter back.  What is the point of complaining????!! >:(

Offline bubbles

Re: 3.1/2 weeks old and killed by the Veterinary Practice - Update
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
I'm really sorry that after all what you've been through that your complaint seems to be disregarded  >:D >:D
I would also send a strong letter of complaint back highlighting the issue's that they seemed to have missed or not taken seriously.
I hope eventually you get some closure from this even though it won't bring your beautiful Rosie back.
try and stay strong
Tracey

my special little boy

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
sorry you didn't get the reply you deserved. I am glad to hear you are writing back. You are doing the right thing in complaining, you may just save it from happening again to someone else.

Good luck, go get em!!!  ;)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
I'm considering writing to the dog papers - but don't know if its legal?!  does anyone know?

I read through all the paperwork last night and it seems the RCVS can only investigate what they class as "professional misconduct" and the only thing they have deemed misconduct is that the op wasn't altogether necessary and that I was given no other options i.e. medication to cure it instead.

They really can't do much it appears - and they should be able to.....my puppies were kept warm and  spotless at home (everyone commented) and I didn't expect to leave one at a professional veterinary practice and have her covered in all sorts and left cold - and if she hadn't died,  pay for the priviledge.
Also to have my wishes and arrangements ignored - surely I should have been contacted if they thought to force-feed liquivite (an artificial energy drink) was better than her mum - and how could it be.

Comments needed as I don't know what to do now....there must be something?????

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2008, 09:51:21 AM »
Two thoughts

Is there an ombudsman or independent association for dealing with complaints about vet.profession (e.g. in in human healthcare you have organisations like the healthcare commission that investigate standards etc). Would the RSPCA know ??

Have you contacted your local Citizen's Advice Bureau? They offer free and independent advice and should be able to help you draft a sternly worded letter if they think you have a case to pursue with RCVS.

Don't know if this helps
Lynne

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »
Did you make the point that you discovered his records incorrectly said he was 3 months old instead of 3 weeks?  :huh: -as  I would imagine that would have made one hell of a difference to what treatment he had. Was the force feeding based on a 3 month or a 3 week old pup? :-\
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
They really can't do much it appears - and they should be able to.....my puppies were kept warm and  spotless at home (everyone commented) and I didn't expect to leave one at a professional veterinary practice and have her covered in all sorts and left cold - and if she hadn't died,  pay for the priviledge.

Have you considered making a criminal complaint of neglect/cruelty against the practice? The RCVS couldn't investigate or prosecute (the RSPCA and/or police would do that) but if there was a successful prosecution, then they would be required to address the issue of a vet having a welfare conviction  :-\

Alternatively, you may be able to take private, civil action against the practice - I am sure there are lawyers who would be prepared to advise and take on the case, but it wouldn't be cheap  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
Thanks for the comments girls!!  much appreciated.  I'm not just giving up on this.....

The stud dog owner has mentioned this morning that anyone would have been convicted under the new RSPCA act for leaving an animal in the state Rosie was in.....I am going to pursue that avenue and phone them.

I have already been down the road of a civil action with my solicitor - he says it won't be worth it and would cost a fortune.

As for Rosie's clinical record - I sent a copy to the RCVS, stating I wondered when RCVS Cambridge had been telephoned they had been given Rosie's age as 3 months not 3 weeks, as it would have made a big difference to what she was fed and how much (remembering she was not even supposed to be fed)......they haven't even mentioned it.  So will bring that up again in my reply.

Will let you know what happens.  Thanks again.

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
good luck!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!