Author Topic: Wormer - Off colour?  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Wormer - Off colour?
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
Last night I picked up 2 worming tablets from the vets for Roxy. Normally she would have 1 but they said as she is over 6 months and 10.5kg she needs a higher doseage. Anyway gave them to her last night with her tea. I left for work this morning and she looked a bit under the weather but thought nothing of it. I've just gotten home and OH said she has been sick 3 times? She is really down in the dumps, didn't even greet me at the door or anything. She's now on the sofa looking really sorry for herself poor thing. I've never sen her like this before! Is this normal for a wormer?? apparently she only needs it every 3 months now?? Anyone had any experiences like this with a wormer before?
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Wormer - Off colour?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
Was it Drontal? If so, then yeah, all mine have been really sick with it since they changed to "flavour".
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
I noticed that my girls didn't seem the same after being wormed, but they weren't sick thou.

Might be asking vet for advice as if it has been regurgitated will she need re worming in a week or so? Or will enough have been absorbed to cover her?

I'd use a different product next time thou.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
Hi Jay!

Yes it was! are there plain ones then or have they just changed to "flavour"?  I did actually smell the tablet before giving it to her and it didn't smell too great.

Hope you don't mind i'm Curoius to know Do you still give yours Drontal i'm wondering if there is anything else i could try her with next time?
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
I don't think you can just get 'normal' Drontal now. If you want to stick with Drontal, at Roxy's weight, I would probably just give her the 1 or 1 1/2 max as its 1 tab per 10kgs. I don't give mine Drontal anymore because every single one was violently ill with it - I'm not talking chucking up a few times, I mean vomiting ALL day!! I give mine Milbemax now - its 1 tablet for 10-25kg bodyweight so less is needed but it agrees with all mine better than the new and improved Drontal  ::) (I took great pleasure in telling the rep how ill it made my dogs when he was trying to get us to promote it over the milbemax  :005:)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
Dear Claire - we had a similiar experience when we switched from Panacur to Drontal last time we wormed Paddy and he was sick X 2 which he never was on Panacur. Unfortunately, he can't have the panacur paste tabs anymore because we have found out he's allergic to beef and lamb and they are 'meat flavoured'. I spoke to the vet about it when I was last in and he said we could use an alternative wormer called milbemax (not sure on spelling) so I am going to give this a try when he's next due to be wormed. Worth speaking to your vet about it?
Lynne

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
Panacur and Drontal make both mine ill.  I use Milbemax and although the vets don't sell it, they give me a free prescription to buy it online :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
TBH Jay i I even questioned why she needed 2 as they had a chart on the wall stating the dose and it said 10kg=1tab, but the vet (not our usual vet) was adament that she needed 2 even though she was .5kg over?? (Unfortunately i trusted his judgement :huh:). I'm going to pop in tonight and have a chat with them as it's obviously upset her. I think i'll have to ask about Milbemax. Thanks for the reassurance though guys. She's never been poorly like this in the time we've had her.  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
I don't think you can just get 'normal' Drontal now. If you want to stick with Drontal, at Roxy's weight, I would probably just give her the 1 or 1 1/2 max as its 1 tab per 10kgs. I don't give mine Drontal anymore because every single one was violently ill with it - I'm not talking chucking up a few times, I mean vomiting ALL day!! I give mine Milbemax now - its 1 tablet for 10-25kg bodyweight so less is needed but it agrees with all mine better than the new and improved Drontal  ::) (I took great pleasure in telling the rep how ill it made my dogs when he was trying to get us to promote it over the milbemax  :005:)

had the same reaction here with Drontal  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Sorry i've got to post because i might burst in to tears again. Not long after my last post i phoned the vet for some advise, whilst doing so i followed Roxy into the garden where she was sick for the 5th time and then pooed the most horrible watery blood i've ever seen!! So I rushed her to the vets and we've just returned with my poopie looking very poorly.  :-\  :'(

The vet thinks she "may"  :huh: have had a reaction the the Drontal, and that the doseage i gave her was fine, and also it could be combined with a gastric bug!! So 2 injections later and a packet of lectade (5mls evey 2 hours!) although she isn't dehydrated, I've now got to watch and wait and return with her in the morning. The vet did comment on how healthy she is otherwise good teeth, nice weight, good coat. But i feel so sorry for her, she's Never been poorly like this and it broke my heart trying to explain to the nurse what was wrong when we arrived...i just burst in to tears!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »
Claire so sorry your baby was made ill by the wormer, I hope she recovers soon. My lot have been on millbemax for ages now with no adverse effects. They even just eat them from my hand without being hidden in anything.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:39 PM »
Mine are often a bit 'off colour' after being wormed. :'(

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
Really sorry to hear this - hope your vet logs this as an adverse reaction and tells the manufacturers (human doctors have to report adverse side effects to drugs - this helps companies and pharmacists monitor their products). Hopefully, once it's out of her system she will feel much better. Sending cocker hugs from here
Lynne and Paddy
x :luv:

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
Really sorry to hear she's poorly, think it is more likely it's the wormer rather than a bug thou, as you can see she's not the only one having probs with the 'new improved' Drontal.

If she had any signs of a bad tum you wouldn't have wormed her.

Hope she's better tomorrow  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »
Claire,

i'm sorry to hear little Roxy's poorly - cocker cuddles and gentle squidges from here :luv:

I've just looked up the dosage and would have to say your vet needs to go back to school as Roxy has been prescribed just under twice the dosage for her weight. each drontal tablet contains the correct dosage for 10 kg of bodyweight even the manufacturers only advise 1.5 tablets from 11 to 15 kgs. i would consider changing vets as well as wormer. HERE is the NOAH data

Lucy was very off colour on panacur but has always been fine on milbemax

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss