Author Topic: Wormer - Off colour?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Sorry i've got to post because i might burst in to tears again. Not long after my last post i phoned the vet for some advise, whilst doing so i followed Roxy into the garden where she was sick for the 5th time and then pooed the most horrible watery blood i've ever seen!! So I rushed her to the vets and we've just returned with my poopie looking very poorly.  :-\  :'(

The vet thinks she "may"  :huh: have had a reaction the the Drontal, and that the doseage i gave her was fine, and also it could be combined with a gastric bug!! So 2 injections later and a packet of lectade (5mls evey 2 hours!) although she isn't dehydrated, I've now got to watch and wait and return with her in the morning. The vet did comment on how healthy she is otherwise good teeth, nice weight, good coat. But i feel so sorry for her, she's Never been poorly like this and it broke my heart trying to explain to the nurse what was wrong when we arrived...i just burst in to tears!

oh poor little girl  :'( :'(

with something like this she could become dehydrated very quickly so keep on with the lectade - hope she's ok in the morning (our episode with drontal was explosive both ends and lasted around 24 hours) and you both get some sleep.

I wouldn't worm her immediately after this - let her system recover for at least a couple of weeks  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
Re: Wormer - Off colour?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
Just found THIS from the manufacturer - how to make a negative into a positive >:(

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Just found THIS from the manufacturer - how to make a negative into a positive >:(

ok so how many people would try and administer this wormer again because the tolerance *apparently* increases on re-administration..... ph34r >:D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Brodiesmum

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
If Hamfam is correct I would refuse to pay the vets bill as they have caused the problem with over medicating.

I am confused though - why do you all feel the need to worm your dogs so often?  Are they all killing and eating live prey or going where they shouldn't?

I am not being contentious, only curious.  I would never worm mine unless I had evidence they needed it.

Cath

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Well she's perked up a little in that we're getting the occasional wag from her tail but shes not budged from her basket since we got home and we've just had a spot of tea and shes normally all eyes when you're eating. The vet said that this will probably happen though after having the 2 injections.

Our regular vet, he is old (& not to discriminate) is quite good we've been with him for 13 years. I will be telling him though about the responses that i've had from the forum tomorrow and Hamfam thanks i'll be showing him the attachment too. He said that they normally give the upper dosage even if the dogs are a little over the 10kg, but i think as *Jay* has said that alot of people didn't have many issues with Drontal until they changed the to the "flavour brand. I'll keep you posted on the outcome tomorrow.

For now, "pup" is dozing i her basket allbeit quite restless. Have given her the Lectade via a syringe and she's taking it with no problems, so hopefully her little tum will recover over night and throughout tomorrw. I'm still worried sick though.

forgot to mention will be administering theLectide every 1-2 hours til tomorrow. Our appt is at 1030am.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
I'm blown away, how can they make a negative sound so positive?? So it's obvious that there are/was a percentage who ARE/WERE affected by the taking of this medication?
Admitedly Roxy has had Drontal since i had her from 8 weeks. Before that she had stronghold. She' never had a problem like this maybe was quieter for a day but no vomiting. But then she was only having 1/2 tablet/month.

If Hamfam is correct I would refuse to pay the vets bill as they have caused the problem with over medicating.

I am confused though - why do you all feel the need to worm your dogs so often?  Are they all killing and eating live prey or going where they shouldn't?

I am not being contentious, only curious.  I would never worm mine unless I had evidence they needed it.

Cath

Cath not contentious at all, i think you have a point. TBH i've never really thought of it like this. Does everyone worm? How necessary is it is an urban surrounding? Yesterday i was informed to worm every 3 months?? It's all a bit confusing as it's what we were told by our vet from the off.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
Having just read the Bayer leaflet - I would be even more inclined to lobby my vet to report side effects to manufacturer  in future-  at the risk of being labelled an over-dramatic pet owner or not. If a drug makes my dog ill so that it requires further treatment then it is a 'side effect' and not a figment of over-imagination or the product of exageration. Would be v.tempted to send them a sample of the results of the side effect!
It does make you wonder about hard sell though doesn't it?
Lynne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »
I hope she feels better soon - poor little girl  :'(

Cath - I used to feel the same, until I realised that the majority of dogs can harbour worms with no symptoms or evidence - but these dogs will still pass on worms in their faeces and so they could infect vulnerable young and old dogs, as well as the well publicised (if small) risk of cross-species infection to humans.

I do feed my dog raw, wild meat, so I worm at least every eight weeks - but even if I didn't I have read enough evidence to make me realise that worming my dogs regularly is the responsible thing to do in order to protect other peoples pets, even if my own is symptomless  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »
I do agree with you Cobweb that it is the responsible thing to do personally and for the sake of other owners pets. It's just a little frustrating when something like this happens.

Thank you for your well wishes, i'll keep you posted on the outcome tomorrow. Fingers crossed for my girl?  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »
I'm blown away, how can they make a negative sound so positive?? So it's obvious that there are/was a percentage who ARE/WERE affected by the taking of this medication?
Admitedly Roxy has had Drontal since i had her from 8 weeks. Before that she had stronghold. She' never had a problem like this maybe was quieter for a day but no vomiting. But then she was only having 1/2 tablet/month.

Cath

Cath not contentious at all, i think you have a point. TBH i've never really thought of it like this. Does everyone worm? How necessary is it is an urban surrounding? Yesterday i was informed to worm every 3 months?? It's all a bit confusing as it's what we were told by our vet from the off.
Lucy is wormed on milbemax every 3 months and shows no signs of any reactions whatsoever - she was quite poorly on panacur which is why i switched to milbemax.

Lucy will find dead decaying animals, she eats snails and slugs (a known source of heartworm) and just about anything that doesnt run faster than her, i worm her because i feel she is at risk and i would rather do that than find she is seriously ill and it could have prevented it with a pill every three months.

I understand and respect why some owners would rather not administer drugs to their dogs but for me it is a question of risk management and on balance i prefer to worm. on the other hand i do let Lucy run free in grassland and as a result she has recently succumbed to a grass seed >:D and some would only walk their dogs on hard surfaces when grass seeds are about.

Horses for courses really ;)

Offline degusuki

• Site Member
  • Mr.Bones
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »
I am just about to give all mine Drontal Plus tomorrow :o
However after reading up about dosage of Drontal on www.noah.co.uk, I am very surprised that your vet prescribed 2 tablets as it clearly state on the National Office of Animal Health that she should have only had one.
0 - 5kg 1/2
6 - 10kg 1
11-15kg 1.5
I have weighed my dogs and will dose according to this.
Hope that she is on the mend tomorrow.

Offline Brodiesmum

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Thanks Cobweb, Claire and Hamfam

I suppose I am biased as I do believe that since the big drug companies fund a lot of the colleges, it is in their interests to encourage vets to push their drugs and the vets do it because it is what they are taught.  And there are stories about vets being penalised if they speak out against it.

As I have mentioned before, the last time I listened to the media and became a responsible owner and had my dog boosted, it died.  So I am always a bit wary of giving any type of drug.

But - I am open to advice - so off to do some research now.

I do hope Roxy recovers very soon.

Cath x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Hope she soon recovers  :luv: sending lots of cocker  :-* ...my 2 also have milbemax without any problems

I thought vets also had to report adverse reactions for animal products..my vet had to when my cat had a severe reaction to an off the shelf wormer  :huh: ...but if it was you vet that made the error perhaps they wont be in such a hurry to report it  :-\

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:51 PM »
Thanks Cobweb, Claire and Hamfam

I suppose I am biased as I do believe that since the big drug companies fund a lot of the colleges, it is in their interests to encourage vets to push their drugs and the vets do it because it is what they are taught.  And there are stories about vets being penalised if they speak out against it.

As I have mentioned before, the last time I listened to the media and became a responsible owner and had my dog boosted, it died.  So I am always a bit wary of giving any type of drug.

But - I am open to advice - so off to do some research now.

I do hope Roxy recovers very soon.

Claire - we have paws and fingers crossed here for a full and speedy recovery :luv:

Cath x

Cath,

I couldn't agree more, it seems the way of the world to put profit before sense these days ( i really am becomming a moany old git ) i always lookup any medication that Lucy is prescribed as our previous vet prescribed medication that was specifically contraindicated for a dog her age.

you are right to question what you hear and read and you should make your own informed decision regarding worming