Author Topic: Hendrix's spinal surgery - UPDATED!  (Read 5667 times)

Offline chattertalk

• Site Member
  • Hendrix aged 9 weeks
Re: Hendrix's spinal surgery - some more advice please?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
Well Hendrix has been home for a week and is making an absolutely amazing recovery. Not only is he walking (given the choice and no lead he'd be RUNNING!  :005:) but also the movement in his legs is so good that it is almost impossible to discern that there is a problem. We have been told that his recovery rate is remarkable. However, this isn't without its problems as the seroma (the lump of fluid under the skin that sometimes occurs after surgery) became very full and had to be drained. Seromas go down with rest, but that is easier said than done with spaniels! Although Hendrix has been cage-resting for three weeks with very short physio/toilet breaks, he is SO bouncy again that the seroma has come back again. They drained a third of a litre of fluid on Wednesday and he is going back to be seen tomorrow, but it is bigger than it was before. I read this thread with interest

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=52708.0

but it does sound as if Hendy's seroma is larger than those discussed here. They have said that if the problem doesn't improve they can either put a 'manual drain' on it which we'd have to empty as it fills (can't see him leaving it alone and it can introduce infection) ir they may have to open the wound to do further surgery, attaching the skin to the muscle to prevent the cavity refilling. Both options worry us. He has been through so much with the op and then the drain, and another lot of anaesthetic can't be good for him. We were given a kind of 'compresion jacket' and have been using cold compresses, but to no avail. Does anyone have any info that may be of use please?

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
Re: Hendrix's spinal surgery - UPDATED!
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »
I'm so pleased to hear that Hendi is making great progress - it really touched my heart thinking about him at the hospital  :luv: 

The seroma must be a real worry for you and I dont have any experience to pass on but just hope that you find a way forward that suits you all.

Best wishes - Amanda & Poppy x :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »
Great news to hear Hendrix is doing so well :luv: :luv: :luv:
I hope that he continues to improve and that the seroma can be dealt with quickly :-*

x In memory of Barney x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
Am pleased he's doing well (there's a poor border terrier that's at the vets when I do hydrotherapy treadmill with Wilf and he's taking a long time to recover).

The best thing is to discuss the other optiosn with the speicalist vet and your own vet as they can guide you in the best way and ulitmately they will leave it as your decision but they can be very good at helping you reach the right decisions for you.

Tell them your fears - at the end of the day it sounds like something needs to be done as I assume you can't just do nothing re this. Another anaesthetic shouldn't be a problem for a fit dog (in the sense of one who doesn't have any systemic problems).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
Really pleased to hear that Hendrix has made such an amazing recovery! and I sympathize with having to keep him rested!!!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
Oh that really is a mixed blessing isn't it?

At least it shows that his nerve damage wasn't permanant, but it is so frustrating that the seroma keeps filling up.

I do hope that you (all. ie you and the vets) can make the very best decision about what to do next.

But in the meantime, well done Hendrix. Now just be a good boy and rest a bit! :luv:

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
great that he is in such good spirits. Let's hope the recovery continues and ongoing treatment not as much as thought
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »
So pleased to hear that Hendrix is making progress.  Sounds like a typical spaniel the moment he's feeling better.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline haggerty

• Cocker Spaniels rule :) x
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »
WOW!!!! What great news!
I remember how down in the dumps you were!!!
Its good to have a update of Hendrix.
Keep us posted
Lol Lisa xxxxxxxxxx
Crazy charlie

x

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
Glad to read that Hendrix is improving and hopefully continues to, hugs and cuddles to you all, love Heather xxx