Author Topic: When can we go out?  (Read 502 times)

Offline claire42

When can we go out?
« on: March 20, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »
Spencer had his "boy op" on Monday and is doing great...so when can I take him out off lead again? The vet said he should stay quiet for a while and only do short on lead walks. but not sure how long this is meant to be for. He is more or less bouncing off the walls at home and running round the garden like a lunatic!!!! He did have a post op check on Wednesday and even though all was fine they said he was slightly swollen...is this normal?

I was hoping to be able to take him for a long walk (off lead) on Sunday or do you think this will be too soon post op?

Offline GillSarge

• Harley, Chester, Flint & Benson
Re: When can we go out?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
A long walk on Sunday is way too early, after op he needs lead walking for a week, then still not a great deal of off lead time, we found our dog was crawling the walls too, so we did some lead walk, then let him off for just 5 mins to have a bit of a run to burn off the excess.  Slightly swollen is probably fine, after all if you've cut yourself it never goes down that quickly. keep an eye on it, and if it starts to look red, or pussy take him straight back.

Try doing some training exercise, this might help him stimulate his excess energy, such a difficult time!  I know when our was going through this I didn't quite know what to do with him either.

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
We had to do 10 days on lead only starting with walks no more than 10 minutes.  They do get a bit sore in first couple of 3 days and it takes a good 8-9 days for the wound to properly knit together so do try and stick with the 10 days - it is soon over and far better than having stitches pull apart even if it does feel like a lifetime now...

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
You have my sympathy - Dennis is going stir crazy too,  ::)  he also had a check on wednesday apparently he is swollen as well so we have a couple of extra days on Rimadyl to ease the swelling.  I can't trust him without the collar which he hates, tried a pair on small knickers, he wasn't having that so I'm at my witts end trying to keep him and Ruby from play fighting constantly.  He had a short lead walk last night but woke us at 4.45am this morning wide awake and wanting to play....
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo