Author Topic: A bit worried about Alfie  (Read 5738 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
A bit worried about Alfie
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »
Alfie is 4 yrs old, is always a bit of a grouch, but seems fit and well.

Over the last few weeks, and in particular the last few days, he has been getting more and more agressive, snarling and snapping at my daughter just for walking within 1ft of him (she is 7yrs and VERY gently and loving towards him), he has been snarling at me and OH and even started guarding his food which he hasnt done before.

Poor Purdey is getting the worst of it, though - he lunges at her, snarling and snapping, everytime she is playing near her - all talk and no teeth, but she is getting really jumpy because of it.

He just seems different in himself - his eyes seem sunken, and he looks worried, if that makes sense. He almost seems depressed! Everything else seems to be working normally - toiletting, walking fine, etc.

Im planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what they say. Any ideas of things I should be asking them to check for? I was thinking of asking for full bloods - Im half wondering if it might be thyroid-related, as he is still overweight despite the diet!

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Re: A bit worried about Alfie
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »
Sorry to hear that Speph. No suggestions. He was Ok on Sunday though? x
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:36:27 PM »
I wouldn't know, but to ask for thyroid seems like a good idea, and they'll run renal function, sunken eyes could be dehydration as with kidney disease or liver problems, but don't assume that, i'm no expert!
Is he seeing ok do you think?  No obvious pain ? Someone who knows more than me will be better placed to answer.
 X

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
Yes, I would ask for full bloodwork and thyroid panel (make sure they do a T3/T4 and full panel, the simple one often comes back normal incorrectly)

sunken eyes could be dehydration as with kidney disease or liver problems,

True  :-\

Let us know how you get on  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
Over the last few weeks, and in particular the last few days, he has been getting more and more agressive, snarling and snapping at my daughter just for walking within 1ft of him (she is 7yrs and VERY gently and loving towards him), he has been snarling at me and OH and even started guarding his food which he hasnt done before.

He just seems different in himself - his eyes seem sunken, and he looks worried, if that makes sense. He almost seems depressed! Everything else seems to be working normally - toiletting, walking fine, etc.

Am I right in thinking he has been on a different diet recently (Skinners, I think?)? It *might* be linked - food can have an incredible influence on behaviour  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:49:20 AM »
I would also ask for a full blood panel as well - if for some reason its low-normal then that also can be a factor (Wilfsaunty on here, I think her mum's dog was low-normal and they persuaded the vet to treat as if low thyroid and it worked).

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

Am I right in thinking he has been on a different diet recently (Skinners, I think?)? It *might* be linked - food can have an incredible influence on behaviour  :huh:

Good point. He has been on it a couple of months, I guess. I'll stick in an order for Arden Grange today and see if that helps.

Mary P, yes he was fine on Sunday - he seems to be okay when he is outside. It is mainly indoors he is getting grumpy.

Beebee, he does seem a bit dehydrated - his skin on his neck and back feels a bit sluggish - and he is drinking a bit more than usual.

Another thing Ive realised which might be related is that first thing in the morning he is often shivery (I assumed he had got cold overnight, so was putting his equafleece on him). He seems to get cold a lot more than Purdey. (could be a symptom of hypothyroidism or diabetes)

My OH says he feels like Alfie is in pain, from the expression on his face. We have looked in mouth, ears, rubbed every inch of him for signs of sorneness but cant find anything.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline pip1965

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
Really sorry to here about this ,hope that you get some good advice at the vets  and tha it turns out to be not too serious.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Poor Alfie does sound like somethings bothering him - he's very lucky to have such caring owner  :-*. Hope it goes well with the vet and you get some answers.

Millie

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
sorry to hear hes not feeling too well , hope you find the problem and he feels better soon  :-*

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
Am sorry to hear about Alfie (do hope that it is just the change of food and nothing more serious).  Will be keeping fingers crossed for you.
Karen, Cocker kisses & snuggles from Misha & Roly
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
Got an appt for 4pm today. Our new vet is fantastic, so have high hopes! When I spoke to him just now he said it sounds like he might possibly be in pain. Fingers crossed it is as simple as a bad tooth or something treatable.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »

Hope you get some answers at the vets and they can get to the bottom of the problem  ;)

Offline Francesca

• Pepper
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
Poor Alfie. :huh: Pepper and I are thinking of you both today - hope it goes well at the vets later. :luv:

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
Poor Alfie! I hope all goes ok at the vets later, it doesn't sound like Alfie we know and love to get grumpy with Purdey or the kiddies. I hope whatever it is can be sorted soon. Big hugs from us xoxo