Author Topic: Lipfold Infection  (Read 1750 times)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Lipfold Infection
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:03:15 PM »
Poor Paisley has a few things wrong with him.  He had very bad ear infections and lipfold infection too. [which I knew about before I adopted him, and am prepared to do what it takes to get him right]
He has had his ears flushed by the vet and I think 2 weeks of Abs. He has also had Ab put in his ear. [whilst he was with the fosterer]
I have to regularly clean his ears which he hates. I'm having to muzzle him as he is biting. One of his ears seems quite closed off and lumpy. If this doesn't improve he may have to have the canal removed  :'(
But the problem I'm having is trying to clean his lip folds, obviously can't use a muzzle to do this and we have been bitten trying.
Making him sound like a bad dog but he is anything but. Will be taking him to my own vet when we get back from Scotland. I think they may have to sedate him to look. How can I clean his lipfolds any Ideas. I tried using a syringe with dilute hibi to gently dribble some on his fold but it didn't really work. He went for that too. HELP.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Lipfold Infection
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
You could try making a muzzle using a gauze bandage, diagram here
http://www.flyball.com/region5/Region%205%20Emergency%20Document%20for%20web_files/image006.gif

That should hopefully still give you room to clean the lip folds.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
Thank you Michele  :-*                                                                                                                                                    That looks like a good idea. Will give it a go. Think I would have had the lipfolds sorted by now if he'd let me do them.
One just isn't enough.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
My poor Hessta, had a bad ear-infection last summer, we ended up seeing a specalised, she had ear-wicks put in both ears for a wk, steriods, & ear drops on a long term basis, we went last wk for our 3 monthly check Janet is well pleased with her she can know see the ear drum in one ear, and nearly see the other one, I'm so pleased as Janet said if had't been for my after care she thought she may have had to have the ear canal removed, in her right ear :D

good luck Louise & Harbethol gang

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
Thank you Michele  :-*                                                                                                                                                    That looks like a good idea. Will give it a go. Think I would have had the lipfolds sorted by now if he'd let me do them.

that's a great idea  ;)

poor Paisley  :'(  Michele's idea is great for the temporary muzzle  ;)  Do you think you could get some Rescue Remedy or Emergency essence on his gums to help chill him out?
helen & jarvis x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Poor Hessta.  I know Paisleys infection stopped short of the ear drum. I think he has shook his head so much he probably has aural heamatomas  sp. Think that is what the lumps may be, but they seem to blocking his ear. His left ear seems fine and he will let me do that one no bother. I suppose it depends on what caused the infection in the first place how well he does. If he keeps getting them the ear canal may have to be removed. They could have been caused by neglect,Allergy or even AI  :-\
Hope he doesn't have to have the op as I,ve heard it's awful for them. Though this will be a last resort.
Glad Hessta is doing well. I will do all I can for this boy.
One just isn't enough.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »

that's a great idea  ;)

poor Paisley  :'(  Michele's idea is great for the temporary muzzle  ;)  Do you think you could get some Rescue Remedy or Emergency essence on his gums to help chill him out?

Another good Idea, Got emergency essence with me. Will let my daughter try  to get some on. She might get 2 matching fingers  :005:
One just isn't enough.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
Hessta total bill has been around £3000, thank god for insurance, the surgary is around £5000, but as you say it is an awful op, get your vet to try ear wicks,

Louise & Harbethol gang

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »
Hessta total bill has been around £3000, thank god for insurance, the surgary is around £5000, but as you say it is an awful op, get your vet to try ear wicks,

Louise & Harbethol gang

Thanks for that  :o  Paisley is not insured as it would be classed as pre existing.

I have a print out from my vet which I got before getting Paisley as to the cost of ear canal removal.

Total ear can ablation      295.56
hospitalization                  20.64
Gen anaesthetic               61.90
Inject Synolux rtu               4.85
Inject Rimadyl                    5.90
VAT                               58.34

Total                             447 .19

She reckoned around the 500 mark  with extra pain killers.

This quote is for one ear.

So I am glad I have my vets and not yours  :005:
One just isn't enough.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »

Sorry for got to say earlier (was jumping around too many windows), I hope you can manage to make Paisley comfortable, with bad ears and a sore mouth I guess its understandable him feeling very tetchy.  :-\

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »

Sorry for got to say earlier (was jumping around too many windows), I hope you can manage to make Paisley comfortable, with bad ears and a sore mouth I guess its understandable him feeling very tetchy.  :-\

Yes, no wonder he is not enjoying being fiddled with.  :-\  If only you could make him understand you are trying to help.  :-\  Why do people let their poor dogs get into such a state ?  >:(

Am sure you will get him sorted though - he is a lucky boy to have ended up with you  :-*

Hope you manage to do his lip folds without losing any fingers  :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson