Author Topic: A bit worried about Alfie  (Read 5738 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: A bit worried about Alfie
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
Hope Alfie got on ok at the vets today  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »
Well, that was a complete waste of time. I had such high hopes for my new vet and guess which 4 letter word came out of his mouth (given that Alfie is a golden cocker) - you guessed it: "rage" (which he also said was excessive dominance  >:D  >:D )

He gave him a complete once-over and because Alfie wasnt in any obvious pain, he said it is behavioural and he is being dominant, so I should make him sleep on the floor instead of the sofa etc etc!

I got really annoyed with him and said that he has been a totally different dog in the last 2 or 3 days to how he has been before. It seems extremely unlikely to me that a dog would change its personality almost overnight! Yes, he is a grumpy old thing, but he is NOT scary or viscious. Today, I was almost scared to touch him.

The vet has given him painkillers (just to appease me, I think) so we can see if he improves on those. If he does, the vet said he will concede that he is in pain.

The other interesting thing is that Alfie has gained 1kg in 1 month, despite me cutting his food right back, which to me screams thyroid, but the vet dismissed that idea because his coat is still glossy and full!

Im so frustrated because I hoped the vet would be more open-minded and try harder to look for physiological symptoms - I kind of felt he had made up his mind it was behavioural as soon as he saw a golden cocker!

My instinct is to go straight for a second opinion elsewhere, but OH thinks we should do the painkillers for 5 days and then see what happens, so I guess thats what we will do.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
Would you like me to go and smack the vet for you?? I'm surprised that the vet didn't listen to you - his owner who knows him better than anyone  >:D I would go for a 2nd opinion also - one of the vets my parents use has a cocker and loves them to pieces. If you need i can give the details to you.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »

I would definately get a 2nd opinion...  >:D
You can always start the painkillers in the meantime, but it would take a couple of days to get any bloodtests back (I think), so the sooner that is underway the better....

That vet obviously doesn't know his bum from his elbow...  >:(
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
Oh no thats not good. Vets really wind me up. You are paying them, if you want blood tests they should carry them out. You know your dog better than anybody. I would get a 2nd opinion too.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
Would you like me to go and smack the vet for you?? I'm surprised that the vet didn't listen to you - his owner who knows him better than anyone  >:D I would go for a 2nd opinion also - one of the vets my parents use has a cocker and loves them to pieces. If you need i can give the details to you.

Yes please, to the smacking the vet, and the details of your parents' vet!!

The more I read about hypothyroidism, the more convinced I am. He has so many symptoms from the glazed look, the dandruff, the lethargy, huge weight gain etc. Mind you, I dont know if hypothyroidism would happen so quickly. Anyone know if it happens like that?

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
Get a second opinion, and look for a new vet!! >:D  Can't believe he said that, i wouldn't wait too long either.

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 07:45:29 PM »
pm'd you the details Steff  ;)

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
Def 2nd opinion, we have one at our practice who is none to keen on me and my crusade with Thornits, his answer is that the dog must be knocked out under GA to have ears cleaned and thornits must be bad  >:D I flatly refuse and funnily enough Thornits wins the day again.... 2nd vet didn't want to know what we do just managed to say whatever you are doing keep doing....

You know your dog - perhaps look at the food option as suggested as the starting point as this can sometimes be a major factor if something not agreeing....

Good luck and hope you get Alfie sorted

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:50 PM »
how dare he jump to the "Rage" conclusion  >:(, defo get a 2nd opinion
chantelle & Tilly

Offline BabyB

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
Such a shame you have a numpty for a vet ::)

Def. get a 2nd opinion - if you live near me in Dorset, I'd highly recommend mine (known him for 14+years).  He saw Henry and Katie today and absolutley loves them - so much so he hugs them whilst they're up on the table :D

Go with your gut instinct, and if you think it's thyroid, until you can see the next vet, look it up on the internet and see what changes you can make yourself until it's confirmed (dietary perhaps?).

Do let us know how he gets on though.  Shame he can't tell you that he's not feeling quite right, bless him :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
OMG bet you were fuming...you know your dog better than anyone and you know when something isn't right..i'd def get a 2nd opinion ASAP.

Hope you find out what's wrong and he gets better soon :luv:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline PennyB

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
I would definitely go and see another vet and make sure a vet does a full blood panel - it annoys me when they just do a quick physical and say they're fine
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
 >:( Rage indeed!  ::) I'd have wanted to tell him it's not the dog who has rage now, it's the owner who has it after that so called "exam"  :005:

Definitely 2nd opinion time  :shades: While coat condition is considered one of the "classic symptoms". it is not necessarily always present. Several of my Dobes were hypothyroid and had beautiful coats and no weight problems (In fact I don't remember how we came to test them  :huh: ph34r :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 07:54:45 AM »
Definitely 2nd opinion time  :shades: While coat condition is considered one of the "classic symptoms". it is not necessarily always present. Several of my Dobes were hypothyroid and had beautiful coats and no weight problems (In fact I don't remember how we came to test them  :huh: ph34r :005:)

You're so right- Ive been doing loads of reading and coat condition is only a symptom in about 1/3 of dogs with hypothyroidism, and some dogs even have a thickening of their coat.

This is from one website I read, and describes Alfie to a T - he seems to have waves of being snarly and snappy anyone wants to stroke him, and will growl for 5 mins to an hour, but then will suddenly start wagging his tail as if he has forgotten why he was like that.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include major depression, unprovoked aggression, joint pain, sudden onset of seizures, anxiety, phobias, submissiveness, passivity, disorientation, moodiness, erratic temperament, hypo-attentiveness, compulsiveness, and irritability. After the episodes of aberrant behavior, a majority of these canines were reported to behave as if they were coming out of a trance-like state and seemed unaware of their previous behavior.

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/canine_epilepsy#ixzz0BgjCYeaT

PURDEY AND LUNA <3