Author Topic: How long does it take for Stronghold to work?  (Read 28504 times)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
How long does it take for Stronghold to work?
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Since coming back home from holidays, the two girls have been scratching  >:D
My pet sitter took them to a farm where the sheep dogs are riddled, and we now have visitors  >:D >:D

Frontline didn't touch the problem, so we went to the vet and had Stronghold applied Friday morning, I've just finished grooming the girls this evening, and they still seem plastered  :'(

Their bedding has been boil washed, so now have 2 sulking girls who have been banished from the living room to the bathroom until they are flea free. (They do have new fleeces to sleep on, as the beds are still damp.)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline mcphee

Re: How long does it take for Stronghold to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
I use stronghold. To be certain it takes 10 days which is the life cycle. In practice it is sooner, but when Rufus used to go down holes and pick up awful fox and badger fleas, i used 4flea tablet which works in 6 hours. You can use them both together. The stronghold will make all the eggs infertile, but the 4flea will kill them stone dead, rigid!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if I could use another product as they have only just been treated.
The vet nurse said I should see an improvement in 24 hours, but i haven't  :'(
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline mcphee

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if I could use another product as they have only just been treated.
The vet nurse said I should see an improvement in 24 hours, but i haven't  :'(
They may have picked up adults, eggs and larvae, all of which are part of the 10 day life cycle of the flea. Also, if they have shed since coming home, another cycle will start. Stronghold will deal with this in time, but 4flea will kill the live adults and speed the process. DOG I hate fleas!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »
Can I use 4flea as well as frontline as my gang have just been frontlined, and they still seem to be scratching (and can actually see the little blighters moving on Suki cos she is cream!)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline mcphee

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
4flea says it can be used with any other preparation. I only found out about it when i over heard a woman in the pet shop buying some because it was so good. Gy gosh it worked quickly!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
Make sure you spray everywhere with Indorex or similar too - it took us 4 months to get rid of them this year - even after spraying ::)

Good luck :-*

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »
And here was me thought Frontline was the be all and end all ......seems its not !!!!mmmmm

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »
Yep used 4fleas on my Cavie it is harmless to the dog but goes into their blood stream so when the fleas bite they die ;) Works atreat and you will see the effect within hours. Great until the Stronghold kicks in ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline mcphee

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:47:36 AM »
And here was me thought Frontline was the be all and end all ......seems its not !!!!mmmmm
A friend of mine had to stop using Frontline because her animals ( cats and dog) were still getting infested. I have no idea whether it is true, but she was told that there was resistance growing to it in some flea populations since it had become so widely available. Of course this could be a rumour spread by the competitors! However, we have to go for what works! I keep a pack of 4flea to hand, though haven't needed it. for ages. I must admit I do use Stronghold all year every 4 weeks. call me paranoid, butI hate fleas. Just the ides af them crawling on my darling dog or cat or biting me gets me uptight.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 08:27:51 AM »
one other thing you can do is buy a can of raid (red tin not blue) and spray your carpets and around the house generally and then go out for a couple of hours , then come home and open the windows, i have found this the best way to rid the house . a friend of mine spent a fortune on flea killers for their house and the raid was the only thing that got them in the end, i am finding frontline not as effective as it used to be, though im abit unsure about tablets that go into their bloodstream  :-\
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
one other thing you can do is buy a can of raid (red tin not blue) and spray your carpets and around the house generally and then go out for a couple of hours , then come home and open the windows, i have found this the best way to rid the house . a friend of mine spent a fortune on flea killers for their house and the raid was the only thing that got them in the end, i am finding frontline not as effective as it used to be, though im abit unsure about tablets that go into their bloodstream  :-\
I was a bit like that at first so checked with my vet and he cofirmed that the 4flea tablets contain an ingredient that will kill flees but is completely harmless to the dogs (less chemicals in than in spot ons, which also get into the dogs system :-\ that said I use Advocate and havent found the need to use anything else on Belle ;))
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »
4fleas was bought and given by 11 am  :D
Have just combed loads of dead fleas out  :D :D

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
Its such a relief to see a dead flea isn't ph34r nasty things >:D
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »
Im now starting to itch ! ;)