Author Topic: Cryptorchidism - Undescended Testicle - What a nightmare.  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Cryptorchidism - Undescended Testicle - What a nightmare.
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »
I knew my boy had an undescended testicle and that I had to get it sorted out.  I have read several times that it is possible to just have the offending one taken out and leave the other normal one.

I tried and tried to find a reputable vet who would do this - there seems to be none - I did find one who would do it, but no way would I let him get his hands on my dog.  All  reputable Vets said the same thing - its unethical and we won't do it and have to take them both due to the fact that he could still be used at stud.  My vet knows me well and is aware that I would never do this, but could not lift the rule just for me - I bred this boy and have told the other puppy owners that I will not lift endorsements at the KC for their dogs to be bred from.  I really wanted to leave him with one testicle as he is so laid back I felt keeping some testerone would help.  In fact I was having no problems with him at all and am really miffed he had this, I would never have had him castrated at all if he hadn't.

So he had his op last Friday and poor boy, has he been truly battered.  Two wounds, one 4 inches and one 2.1/2 inches - the testicle was popping in and out of  the inguinal ring (don't know if I've spelt that right!) and the vet took his "good" one out through a cut in his stomach to save yet another wound.  I have been incredibly worried, his tummy was black with bruises and so swollen you could see it all hanging when he walked around.

Took him back to the vet Tuesday, she was also very worried and wanted to see him again in 48 hours - which is today.  I had no idea this was such an invasive op.  I believe this problem is genetic and can't help but wonder why dogs are being used when they are throwing pups like this. I, of course, had no idea the stud dog I used was one of them.....would be interested to know others views/experiences on this subject and just how many undescended testicles are actually out there?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Cryptorchidism - Undescended Testicle - What a nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »
So sorry to hear your boy is poorly after this op.  :'(  How old is he?   Its just that my friends dog had the same problem but we were told to wait to see if it came down on its own, and after 12 months it appeared, phew what a relief!

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
I believe this problem is genetic and can't help but wonder why dogs are being used when they are throwing pups like this. I, of course, had no idea the stud dog I used was one of them.....would be interested to know others views/experiences on this subject and just how many undescended testicles are actually out there?

Undescended or late descending testicles are not uncommon in Cockers and in the dog population generally (also in other animals) Yes this problem is known to be genetic but this knowledge was not available in the past and so dogs with only one testicle were used at stud and can still be seen back in the pedigrees of today's dogs.

Having said that, it's unfair to blame this condition on stud dogs alone - research into the condition in American Cockers (a closely related breed) suggests it may be caused by a recessive gene or genes carried by BOTH parents so you need to look at both parents if you have a cryptorchid puppy. As the problem is seen so commonly, we can't say that all dogs & bitches which have produced a case of cryptorchidism should be withdrawn from breeding - that would have a devastating affect on the gene pool. As with anything else, it's a question of balance & not throwing the baby out with the bath water - we have far more serious conditions in the breed than occasional cryptorchidism so the priority has to be to reduce the incidence of these conditions at the same time as keeping an eye on other conditions to make sure they don't become too prevalent.

Hope your boy is feeling better soon once the bruising subsides :blink:

Jane

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »
Sorry he's had such a rough time of it, really hope he makes a quick recovery for you :luv:

My 2.5 yr old blue roan (show type) had this condition although not as badly and his op was very straight forward with no more real damage than a normal neutering - my vet would have left the good one if I'd wanted them to.

My golden cocker (show type) that was born about 8 years ago was normal - I'm wondering if this condition is becoming more common as I seem to hear about it all the time now, or maybe it's just because I've had a dog with it that I've noticed lots of others with the same condition iyswim :-\

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »
I'm so sorry you and your boy have had such a difficult time. I hope he's getting over it now.

I went through exactly the same with my William. He had one undescended testicle and I waited until he was 15 months old in the hope that it would appear, but it didn't. I've been told that it's a problem in his sire's line.

William is very laid back and totally uninterested in the ladies and several people recommended that just the undescended testicle was removed and the other one left. That's what I would have preferred because he had a beautiful coat and I knew it would be ruined by full castration, so I couldn't see any real benefit to full castration.

However, I was talked into full castration by my vet. William had 2 big scars and you can still see one of them 4 years later. He was very uncomfortable and very distressed for a couple of days, had bruising and an infection and we ended up going back to the vet about 3 times, although after the first couple of days it was only me worrying, not William, who seemd to be feeling better by then.

There's been a few threads on COL on this subject, so I would guess that it's not uncommon

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
I was very interested to read Jane's response to this.  There are so many different views on the subject, I wonder what the Kennel Club's view is?  So far I have heard that its ok to just leave the testicle, as only 1 dog in 10 get torsion or cancer because of it (I was not prepared to take that risk); and just get one out (wish I could have). A very good friend of mine who has bred Vizslas for many years and is an International Show judge has never had this problem and I know what she would do if she did, not use the dog again.

I told my other puppy owners that I would not lift endorsements as in all conscience I would not want to carry this on with dogs I've bred, not to mention the trauma the affected dog (and his owner) go through with the op. I realise there are other problems with the breed but if we don't stop using dogs with faulty genes we will never get it right - will we???!!  I've recently heard of a Sh Ch Cocker who's testicle was brought down at 9 months, sewn into place and he has now sired many litters - sorry but I can't agree with things like this happening.

Just back from the Vet, he's improving and can have lead exercise now.  Theres a very hard lump under the 4" wound which is a bit worrying but Vet said it was fat/tissue and not gut so thats good.  Hes weeing and poohing ok too and just started cocking his leg again, first time since op-thats got to be a positive.  Got to take him back again on Saturday....might just take my bed along I think, I seem to be living at the Vets at the moment.

Hes 17 months old, I waited and prayed that the testicle would drop, and after the op my Vet said it would never have come down so its a good job done.  Its cost around £200 so far though, my dog insurance wouldn't cover it, they said is was a "preventative" operation and if he got torsion or cancer because of it, then they would pay....mmmmmm ok then...!!

Thanks to those of you who have replied to my post with experiences of your dogs, its nice to know others have been through this also.  I am, however, truly miffed that I've had to have my boy castrated!

Offline logans mum

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
Just been through the same as yourself, my 15 month cocker Logan had two undescended testicles and had his op on Friday.  He had two wounds and they seem to be healing well.  After 5 days of having a major strop and not speaking to anyone in the family he seems to have returned to normal - i.e. stealing everything he can get a hold of  :005:

Hope your wee boy makes a speedy recovery xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »
I'm wondering if this condition is becoming more common as I seem to hear about it all the time now, or maybe it's just because I've had a dog with it that I've noticed lots of others with the same condition iyswim :-\

I don't think it's necessarily more common now - it's always been there but the internet means we get to hear about dogs that do have the condition more than in pre-internet days When we first got into Cockers in the early 80s, I'd actually say the problem was worse then (in particolours anyway) as there were several popular stud dogs who were used an awful lot and did seem to produce this condition quite often (they of course are behind current pedigrees too in both dog and bitch lines)

I realise there are other problems with the breed but if we don't stop using dogs with faulty genes we will never get it right - will we???!!

But all dogs have faulty genes (all humans too) - we cannot ever hope to produce dogs without any faulty genes at all just as we can't "breed" humans without any genetic faults.  If you're interested in the subject, you might like to get hold of George Padgett's book "The Control of Canine Genetic Diseases" - he makes the point that all dogs carry at least 4 or 5 faulty genes and the best way of controlling genetic diseases it to prioritise them in order of severity ie concentrate on the diseases which cause pain, disability, blindness etc. He lists unilateral cryptorchidism as a "mild" trait ie relatively low priority.

I've recently heard of a Sh Ch Cocker who's testicle was brought down at 9 months, sewn into place and he has now sired many litters - sorry but I can't agree with things like this happening.

Yes but hearing something like this is not the same as "knowing" it to be true - I've heard so many things about various stud dogs over the years and most of it is just rumour and some of it is deliberately malicious. If there is real evidence this has been done, I wonder why it has not been reported?

Jane

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
Just been through the same as yourself, my 15 month cocker Logan had two undescended testicles and had his op on Friday.  He had two wounds and they seem to be healing well. 
Logans mum - sorry to hear your boy has been through the same thing - well almost.  Am pleased he is making a speedy recovery, hope he continues to do so.  Is he allowed a run yet or still lead only exercise? 

My boy continues to improve, although the lump is still there - I am off to buy a flexi lead (although I hate them!) this morning so mum can have a run and he can be restrained.  Even though I have a huge garden we are all going stir crazy stuck around here...... :005:

I've recently heard of a Sh Ch Cocker who's testicle was brought down at 9 months, sewn into place and he has now sired many litters - sorry but I can't agree with things like this happening.

Yes but hearing something like this is not the same as "knowing" it to be true - I've heard so many things about various stud dogs over the years and most of it is just rumour and some of it is deliberately malicious. If there is real evidence this has been done, I wonder why it has not been reported?

Jane - I know this to be true as I was offered the same for my boy - which I declined.
As a note, I agree that this condition could come from either the bitch or dog lines and will not be having any further litters from mum either - in fact she has now been spayed.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
Someone I work with had this problem with her dog (not a spaniel) and she was gutted as she wanted to get into showing. She informed the breeder and she now won't use the same dog and bitch together.

Millie

Offline logans mum

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
We were at the vet on Wednesday and he said we had to keep him on a lead for another 5 days.  They said last week he wasn't allowed to be walked as such just on lead in the garden but to be honest he wants out into the garden not really to run around but for a wander and a sniff about and a couple of days he just wanted to sit outside, I think the cool breeze was helping him with the itching on his tummy.

Hope you manage to get a run out with him and the weather keeps fine for you, unlike here where it's rained for days!!!!  Fingers crossed we'll get out for a good walk by Sunday.

Take care x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
Jane - I know this to be true as I was offered the same for my boy - which I declined.
As a note, I agree that this condition could come from either the bitch or dog lines and will not be having any further litters from mum either - in fact she has now been spayed.

I'm not sure I understand you? You're saying a vet told you about this Sh Ch dog and offered to do the same for your boy? I'm guessing that's what you mean as only a vet could offer you this kind of procedure. If a vet is willing to do this, it surely reflects even more badly on him/her than it does on any owners who ask for it >:(

Anyway, glad to hear your boy is improving ;)

Jane

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »
Our Archie is 17 months and has one decended testicle, we took him only last week to the vet. He is going in October to have both removed when I am on holiday. It is a big op as the other testicle cannot be felt  :-\ we have been quoted £275.
Hoping your lad is back to full health soon  :luv:

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »
Our Archie is 17 months and has one decended testicle, we took him only last week to the vet. He is going in October to have both removed when I am on holiday. It is a big op as the other testicle cannot be felt  :-\ we have been quoted £275.

Hi Bracken - I hope your Archie gets on ok with his op in October, especially if the other testicle can't be felt easily. I actually thought my boy's was at the top of his leg, and two vets confirmed this also - but it turns out it was a pad of muscle!  Please let us know how Archie gets on, and I sympathise with the cost, £275 is even more than I've been charged - maybe thats the upper price incase they can't find it or its in his abdomen?  Good luck to you both, let us all know in October

I'm not sure I understand you? You're saying a vet told you about this Sh Ch dog and offered to do the same for your boy? I'm guessing that's what you mean as only a vet could offer you this kind of procedure. If a vet is willing to do this, it surely reflects even more badly on him/her than it does on any owners who ask for it >:(

Jane - what can I say other than you hit the nail right on the head!! >:(  By the way do you know of any supplements that can help when they have been castrated/spayed for coats?  Mum's is just a fuzz!  I'm giving them Starflower Oil which I believe helps?  if you know of anything else would appreciate it.

We were at the vet on Wednesday and he said we had to keep him on a lead for another 5 days.  They said last week he wasn't allowed to be walked as such just on lead in the garden but to be honest he wants out into the garden not really to run around but for a wander and a sniff about and a couple of days he just wanted to sit outside, I think the cool breeze was helping him with the itching on his tummy.

Logans mum - how difficult is it to keep them down when they are feeling better?!  I'm having real problems and hence bought the flexi lead.  My vet said he could be walked on a lead, just so long as he doesn't dash around and jump about - however, hes now bursting to get off and have a good run.  I am back at the Vet today and hopefully she will say we can go for a good walkies.  I've noticed my boy is sitting in the garden more so maybe the breeze does help with the itching.  Is Logan on anti-biotics and painkillers?  Our anti-biots finished today but another 2 days of painkillers..have been giving him some natural live yogurt also, a bit of probiotic to get some good bacteria back in his system.  Lets hope both our boys are back to normal soon - I was beside myself seeing him in so much pain, hes very special this one! 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »
By the way do you know of any supplements that can help when they have been castrated/spayed for coats?  Mum's is just a fuzz!  I'm giving them Starflower Oil which I believe helps?  if you know of anything else would appreciate it.

There's not a lot you can do about the change in coat texture after neutering - supplements like Starflower Oil can help but they take a while to have an affect. We also add salmon oil which definitely improves coat & skin condition.

Jane