Author Topic: Blodwen sick and runny poo - advice please  (Read 5712 times)

Offline rwasinski

Blodwen sick and runny poo - advice please
« on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, please could the Mods move the post to health if it should be there

Blodwen has had a rough day - started out unusual as she normally does a number two overnight and we woke up to find no poops on the kitchen floor

Started off with breakfast OK, wouldnt eat her lunch from her bowl so we put it into her distraction ball and she ate it from there and we took her for a walk at around 2pm. She started doing a number two which seemed fine and then ended up being quite pale and runny.

We brought her home and she took herself outside to the garden where she started to go again until her poo was like brown liquid - poor baby.

Then she started being sick - what came up was her food from lunch along with some frozen carrots and some grass - nothing out of the ordinary or cause for alarm. She then went out again and was sick again - mostly bile.

She has mainly been herself today and was running around quite merrily on her walk before and after her first runny poo, and after she was sick. She has been listless tonight - we havent fed her. We did give her water to keep her hydrated but she was sick again immediately after so we are just giving her small sips of water which she has kept down so far tonight. We cannot trace the cause to anything unusual she may have eaten but will monitor her tonight and tomorrow, keep her on plain rice and call the vet if she hasnt improved in the morning. Is there anything that anyone can recommend that we do to make sure she is OK?

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline rwasinski

Re: Blodwen sick and runny poo - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »
One thing I would add is that I did give her a gravy bone for the very first time today - she is 17 weeks old. Her first runny poo came about an hour after giving her this. Initially this seemed too quick to have this severe effect on her but could the gravy bone have caused this reaction so quickly?

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
She has probably eaten something she shouldn't have from the garden or bin perhaps, the only thing I would worry about at the moment is dehydration as she is still very young, is she drinking at all when you say listless is she getting up and walking around or just lying there??
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »
Poor little girl  :'( Mine cannot have gravy bones causes very bad tummy.
 As she is only a baby keep a close eye on her she will dehydrate very quickly.
I always miss a meal or 2 when they are poorly then start with white fish cooked in the microwave, just small portions. Pro Kolin is good for a poorly tum.

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
She is starting to perk up and has got up herself to get a drink. We're trying to control her drinking so she has little and often to make sure she's hydrated and doesn't bring the water up again.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »
It could have been the gravy bone, Duggie was sick and had a runny poo the other day after stealing a Bonio off Lance. ::)

Keep a close eye on her and call the vet if you are in the slightest bit worried. Here's hoping she will be as right as rain tomorrow. :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
She is starting to perk up and has got up herself to get a drink. We're trying to control her drinking so she has little and often to make sure she's hydrated and doesn't bring the water up again.
Thats a good sign as long as she is drinking and keeping it down she will be fine overnight, looks like it could have been the gravy bone going by the other posts
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline sazzysue

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »
Hopefully she will continue to improve and it was just the gravy bone that upset her tummy,
but please keep a very close watch on her tonight being very young they can deteriorate very quickly, the same thing happened to my pup with being sick and runny poos around her age and although he was drinking water he became very listless he was taken to the vets and kept there for two days, I really thought I was going to lose him.........so just keep a very close eye on her tonight and please don't hesitate to call the vet if she starts to deteriorate again..

Sue & Marlo

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »
There does seem to be a lot of tummy upsets in pups at the moment, my Willow and Freddie (supposed to be going to his new home tomorrow) both have runny bums, they are 9 & 10 weeks, poor things have been starved today, been giving them Pro-Kolin (as per vets instructions)  but both as bright as buttons, still running around playing, chasing each other, hopefully things will improve tomorrow.  Both drinking ok too!

Hope Blodwen is ok soon too.

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:48 AM »
Thanks everyone so much for posting. We were so worried as this hasn't happened before. It must have been the Gravy Bone - aaargh! I feel so bad after just wanting to give her a yummy treat - but know now to keep away from them at least until she is a lot older.

We kept her in our bedroom overnight, got up a few times to take her out throughout the night and to give her regular sips of water. She has not been sick again thank goodness. We will give her small amounts of rice and chicken today and just watch her carefully. She has brightened up this morning now and is playing (and chewing!) quite happily with the duvet and my feet.

Offline HarveynMax

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:54:50 AM »
I am so happy to see your little baby is feeling so much better this morning :clapping:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
Glad Blod is feeling better, they are such a worry aren't they ::)
Belle sends her little 'sis' a cocker kiss and cuddle :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
Blod had been quite lively now for a few hours this morning, we gave her a few tablespoons of rice and a smidge of chicken breast at about 7.45am and seemed back to her normal self.

She's been sitting on the sofa napping for a while and has just been sick again - the rice came up.  :-\

She is sleeping now and we are going to keep her sipping water.

Such a worry. She had such a huge appetite this morning so isnt off her food and has been following us and indicating for more food and treats (which we haven't given her).

Should we avoid feeding her at all or try again this evening? It's so frustrating and sad to see her unsettled like this.

Have done a search for Pro Kolin - can you pick it up easily? Our vet is shut today so we'll call the emergency vet if things get worse, but it means we can't get it from there.  Otherwise I will buy it over the internet for future use, just want something to give her today.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »
I would stop the chicken and rice and try to pop out and get white fish something cheap like Coley and cook in microwave for something to eat later. :blink:
( but just a small portion) with no rice  :blink:
We get our Pro Kolin from the internet ... but that not going to help you out today unfortunatly :-\

Offline BabyB

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
I'm gald Blodwen is feeling better today  ;)

No advice about pro-kolin as we've only ever got it from the vets (rarely thankfully).

I agree with the white fish too that Bracken has suggested too  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind