Author Topic: Poorly pup  (Read 5431 times)

Offline scott0904

Poorly pup
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »
Hey folks

Our Floyd has just spent the entire morning puking up and im a little concerned for him just now...

A little lead up to what I think may have brought this on -

We've been walking him on a daily basis in a farmers field at the back of our house. Despite my best efforts nothing stops him from eating as much rabbit droppings, foxes poo and cow poo as he can get.  The only reason I do walk him there is because he gets free rein to run as far as his little legs take him, and dogs are very popular in our village, and theres no other such 'dog free' zone to walk him. If we walk him where all the other dogs go, he eats every dog poo in sight.  (i know i know its disgusting!!!)  My last labrador done the same and we could never stop her doing it either.  My concern here is that he may be catching something from the other animal feaces he eats (whats the disease rabbits get?? - mixamitosis??)

Secondly, 5 days ago, we finished a 15 kg bag of puppy food and every day he seems to be starving, depsite eating 3 times the reccomended allowance. So he's nearly 6 months old, and I thought we'd try some JWB adult Lamb n Rice kibble. He wolfs it down like everything that enters his mouth.

So this morning I woke up to a poo in the kitchen (hes not done this for about 5 weeks) and a big puke pat.  Since then he's puked repeatdly. He wont drink any water or look at his food (which he's never ever been like - hes a scavenger!!) and he's very weary looking, very cuddly, and quiet. Again very unusual  :-\

I know dogs get upset stomachs, only when its happened before, in a matter of time my other dogs have been keen to eat again soon, possibly just to make it easier to vomit, but he's not interested in anything at all.

Have i made an error and put him on too rich a food too early?... or is it just down to poo eating habits?? - im in two minds whether to take him to the vets  :luv:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: Poorly pup
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that Floyd is poorly. Did you put him straight onto the JWB or did you introduce it gradually. No matter what the age a dog can get an upset stomach if you swop food instantly. Why are you changing his feed?
Also are you still worming him? The problem with a pup is you can't really starve him of food as you would do with an older dog and dehydration is a problem.

Personally if he has been sick again and can't keep anything down and/or he's got diarrhoea I would take him to the vet. 
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
Was he on JWB puppy??

Is it a flavour he's had before?  If he's used to JWB and hasn't had a problem with lamb, I doubt it's the food change.  Changing to adult food shouldn't cause any problems.

Poo eating is very common, especially in pups.  Honey loves rabbit poo, but will now leave most others.  Again, unless he's eating a vast quantity, I doubt this would cause a problem.  Myxomatosis only effects Rabbit type animals, so would not be passed on to a dog.

I suspect it's nothing more than a virus, and suggest you fast for 24 hours (at 6 months, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all!) and then introduce very easy to digest foods (fish and potato, or chicken and rice seem to be suggested quite regularly).  However if he continues not to drink, get him to a vet - a dog can survive for days without eating, but dehydration sets in much quicker.  
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mezzaj

• Donator
  • Lucy and Baby Bailey
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Poor little Floyd, I would take him to the vets. Hope he is better soon. x

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Hi Scott....

Have you been to see the vet yet?

Think it might be a good idea, as he might become dehydrated with the vomitting and diahorrea.

Had all this when my boys were pups.............a quick jab at the vets, and they were great.

It is so hard when they love to eat anything and everything............but, sounds like this is a virus of some kind.

Hope all goes well.  Thinking of you.  :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
I would make sure you get some water into him, even if you have to syringe it in. Going without food they can cope with, and is usually beneficial in giving their stomachs a chance to settle but water is vital as they can dehydrate very quickly after vomiting and diarrohea. If my lot have an upset stomach I usually dose them with pro-kolin and make sure they drink plenty, I usually give them a few rehydration sachets. If he's vomiting repeatedly, seems distressed and you can't get any water into him I would call the vet though.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline scott0904

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
thank you very much for your advice folks....

I thought some more, and took him to the vet. We're not long home after an emergency appointment.

Turns out its just aswell I did.

He has swallowed a stone or similar object and its stuck in his intestine  :'(     He has been given a morphine jab to relieve the pain during the night, a shot of amoxicilin to keep down his temp which had risen, and he is going in at 9am for an emergency op  :'(

I got such a fright when the vet had a quick feel and immediately said he could feel the object. I had half expected him to tell me it was down to the change in food and just try n ride it out.

The vet said if I hadnt brought him in he would most likely start to deteriate more and more over the next few hours as his temp had already start to go up... I cant bare to think what might of happened if I had played it down and left him.

He's now lying on the sofa completely doped up to the eye balls, he can barely lift his head and he's so drawn in that his ribs are sticking out.  The vet gave us a syringe to fill a glucose solution at small doses, ive tried but it keeps just dribbling out his mouth, he cant even swallow. :blink:

The vet did say he wasnt completely dehydrated by checking his eyes, and pulling his skin, so shuld be ok through the night. I think its safe to say I wont be getting a wink of sleep til i know that stone is out and he is ok.

Fingers crossed everyone for my baby   :luv:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Oh my goodness! :o

I hope that you do manage to get some sleep tonight, and that the op goes really well tomorrow.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
Poor Floyd, well done for getting him to the vet, I guess it goes to show if in doubt we should always pop them along.

Sounds like he is going to have a quiet night tonight in preparation for the morning, I'm sure it will be fine. Will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
Oh well done you for getting him to the vet, and getting a diagnosis.

I do hope all will go well with the op tomorrow.....

Our thoughts are with you, and sending lots of cyber hugs and positive thoughts your way.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
Poor Floyd, I hope he's ok overnight and the op goes well in the morning.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
Everything crossed here for you and Floyd.  Hope everything goes well tomorrow. :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline allylou

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »
sorry Floyd is feeling so poorly - hope you both do manage to get some rest overnight.
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
Hope he perks up a bit tomorrow - just as well you took him to the vet.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
Poor Floyd, hope everything goes well tomorrow and he is soon running about happily again.