Author Topic: Poorly pup  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Poorly pup
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »
What a horrible night and day for you, I really hope Floyd's op has been straightforward and you hear from the vet soon, keep us posted :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
Also been thinking of you, hope as others have said that surgery goes well and he's soon back home with you again. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline SandraD

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
Have only just seen this, fingers crossed all goes well and that your boy is soon home with you. :luv:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
Just logged on to see if there was any news.

Got my fingers crossed you get a call soon.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
Hoping for some good news about Floyd  :luv: 

Sending loads of positive healing thoughts  :luv:  Thinking of you all  :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »
Sounds like it has been a long night and day for you  :-\

Hope you have got some good news from the vet by now  ;)

I am sure Floyd will be back home and wreaking cocker havoc again very soon  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
Me too, just checking to see if there is any news.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that all is going well for your little boy.

:luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
Hope everything went well.

Offline allylou

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »
just checking to see if there is any news - thinking of you all
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline scott0904

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
Hey folks, sorry to keep you all in suspense.

We got the call about half 4 to say the op went well.. could we come and pick up Floyd and have a look at the offending object.

So we got there and in a small bag was a big chunk of coloured rubber. about 3 weeks ago Floyd managed to chop the top of his Puppy Kong straight off with his teeth leaving the other half on the floor. I never found the top of it, and just assumed it was tucked away under the sofa or somewhere similar. It never crossed my mind that he might of swallowed it whole.

So the upshot of it is that for perhaps 3 weeks this rubber chunk has worked as a stopper in his bowel plugging it partially until its moved so far down its stretched his bowel until almost torn. 

Ive to take him back tomorrow morning to see if the bowel is going to be ok, the vet is still not certain that it hasnt been damaged and perhaps open to infection.

Floyd is now doped up to the eyeballs again and lying on the sofa with the obligatory bucket round his head. He's letting out wimpers every now and again and he's only to get tiny amounts of water so as not to fill his bladder and put any pressure on the bowel.

Im not entirely certain where to leave him tonight. He's a very needy dog at the best of times and already tonight he's fallen off the sofa and let out a cry when i walked out the room and he couldnt see anyone so im loathed to leave him alone. If i have him in the room with us tonight ive a feeling he wont settle for a sleep though and i'll be listening to every wimper.

Regarding the Kong. I take full responsibilty for not ensuring i found the missing part and acting sooner, however i was at the time, and i still am surprised at how easy it was for puppy teeth to rip apart this fanastic toy, when the adult ones are made of tougher material. Im no expert on dogs, but even i know how sharp puppy teeth are, and the Puppy Kong just feels so easy to destroy.

If i could give anyone any advice on Kongs to make sure this never happens to ayone else, I would say forget using the Puppy Kong and go straight to the tougher Adult Kong.

Thanks again everyone for the support  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Glad to see he is home with you...who would have thought a Kong would be the culprit? I bet not many people (including me) would have thought of that, we always imagine they are the toughest of toys.

Hope the little one (and you) get some sleep tonight and he is feeling a bit better tomorrow.

Will keep fingers and paws crossed for a full and speedy recovery.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
Gosh I would never have thought that about a Kong. At least it's out now and you can hope that it wont have done any lasting damage to him.

The poor thing probably doesn't understand what has been going on and looking for that little bit of reassurance from you at the moment, could you sleep downstairs with him tonight?

I hope the trip goes well tomorrow and he manages to get the all clear.

Sounds like he's quite the fighter though  :luv:

Offline suespaniel

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
Hi so glad Floyd is home with you. Please don't beat yourself up re the Kong, you can't watch them 24/7. I know, been there done that! I have a very lovely 19month cocker , who at exactly  5 mths old ate one of my pop socks from the washing, resulting in emergancy op and hospitalization for 2 days at a cost of £1500, (I am insured}. What I'm trying to say is I too blamed myself, didnt sleep etc but Archie's still with me to tell the tale as Iam sure Floyd will be Sue x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
So pleased Floyd is back home safely.  Hope he soon feels better and all of you get some sleep tonight.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
I would never have thought that it could be a piece of a Kong either :o If I were you I would contact them when you get a chance to tell them what happened, they may want to look at that product as it could happen to another puppy and Floyd's story could have had a very different outcome if you hadn't been on the ball and got him to the vet. I'm really glad you've got him home, I think I would probably sleep downstairs with him tonight just to make sure he settles and to keep an eye on him :luv: Fingers crossed that it's good news at the vet tomorrow and that there is no lasting damage.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/