Author Topic: Please Help My Poor Dog  (Read 8535 times)

Offline motobrox

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« on: November 02, 2004, 10:07:20 PM »
Her name is Daisy; she is a black 18 month old little cocker. She only weighs 5 Kgs and has a very poor appetite. I have taken her to the vet and she was referred to the Royal Vet Hospital in Potters Barr. The Vet in charge can't work out what's wrong with her, I have spent a load of money, but they can't get to the bottom of her problem.

She has a cyst on one of her ovaries and her lymph nodes are swollen. White blood cells have been low on two blood tests, but OK on the third? She has had a scan which shows her liver is OK and her abdominal region is fine.

She eats very little and is sick more often than not. Her energy is slowly draining; she also has a tender spot at the base of her spine.

She is the victim of "pure breeding", but all I care about is her welfare. Maybe there is no cure or aid for her "inheritance"?

If you can give some help or advice, Daisy and her family will be eternally grateful.

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 10:20:40 PM »
Poor you, Hope she feels better soon.

Kimmi sends lots of big wet doggy kisses to her.

Kimmi's mum

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:32:57 PM »
I am no expert and can offer no solution I'm afraid :( , but I just had to say that I hope you find an answer soon.  It sounds like you're doing all you can for little Daisy, she's lucky to have you.  Is this a new condition, or has she always been like this?  5kg seems very tiny for a cocker, but then again, they do come in all shapes and sizes.

Sending you very positive thoughts, please let us know how you get on.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

sweetie

Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 10:47:14 PM »
poor little daisy,just wanted to say,hope all works out well for her,thinking of you little one,,

ziggy jasper and mabe,s xxxx

Sue H

Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 10:51:54 PM »
Poor you, and poor Daisy !

I guess she has been X-rayed - obviously this gives no clue as to the pain she displays at her tail-end ...

Try appealing to the Royal Veterinary College to see whether any of their collective memory might find a clue ...

I suppose that I speak for all of us when I say that I feel for you so much - your little sweetheart is just so important to you and so dear !!

Good luck !!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 11:12:36 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear of your Cocker's illness & hope that a diagnosis can be found soon. However, it seems unfair to say she is a victim of "pure breeding" or that her illness is inherited without knowing what that illness is, unless of course that you know she came from unhealthy parents? It's possible that this is some sort of auto-immune problem although the symptoms don't really correspond with any of the auto-immune diseases I've come across. Good luck anyway!

Jane
Jane

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 09:26:19 AM »
Poor girl i do hope they sort daisy'sproblem out soon, sending her lots of gentle (((hugs )))
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »
:(  poor Daisy hope you get to the bottom of this soon, big kisses for Daisy xxx
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:01:57 PM »
:( aww Daisy you poor little sweetheart hope you soon get some help and answers for your little one we will keep you in our thoughts  :) big hugs to you both from  ;)  me n hun  

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor little Daisy.  I suspect it might well be an autoimmune problem - have the vets mentioned that all yet?  

Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 01:38:49 PM »
Poor little Daisy.....sending lots of cocker kisses and hugs to help her get better.
I hope that they manage to find an answer for you and some treatment.
Please keep us up to date with her progress.

Offline nikki

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 06:27:01 PM »
poor poor Daisy.  I hope you find out whats wrong ASAP!  Millie sends big sloppy kisses xxxxxxx

Offline motobrox

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:34:24 PM »
Daisy’s life so far:

I was born on 26 of April 2003. My mother is xxxxxxxxx and my dad is xxxxxxxx. My new mum and dad took me home when I was eight weeks old. All of my life I haven’t been a good eater, I don’t really like dog food; my parents have tried all brands to keep me happy. Even if I like them at first I soon go of them, I will eat if I’m very hungry, at the moment I’m eating working dog food to keep my energy up. What is strange is I love sweets, I go mad for them but I don’t understand why?

As I only weigh 5.5kgs and the last time I was weighed I was 8kgs my parents took me to the vet. The vet was concerned about my welfare and sent me to Queen Mother’s Hospital for tests.

This is what happened to me;

My diagnosis: Investigation of intermittent lethargy, inacceptance/anorexia, vomiting, weight loss and failure to thrive.

Procedures / Treatment to date: Daisy was found to be underweight and of small stature (body condition score 2/5), a scar-like lesion was found bilaterally over both mammary gland chains which also showed to have malformed nipples, possibly representing a congenital malformation. Spinal pain was present on putting pressure on the lumbar spine, and patellar and gastrocnemius reflexes were increased bilaterally, possibly indicating a lesion between T3-L3

Haematology: Initially showing neutropenia (1.8x10e9/l), on repeat sample unremarkable (neutrophils 3.4x10e9/l), haematocrit was within normal limits. Occasional activated lymphocyte seen.

Biochemistry: unremarkable

ACTH stimulation test: Not suggestive of Addison’s

Abdominal ultrasound: Cyst like lesion in one of the ovaries, generalised slight lymphadenopathy, normal appearance of the liver (size and vasculature), normal velocity in caudal vena cava

My vet suggests that I have been ill all my life and possibly have congenital abnormalities, which prevent me from thriving. He has tried to exclude the following; dietary insufficiency, parasitism, gastro-intestinal disease, hormonal disease such as Addison’s, porto-systemic shunt, cobalamin insufficiency, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency / pancreatitis and pain due to spinal disease.

The vet gave me metoclopramine to stop me being sick and Zantac to settle my stomach, also he gave me stuff for worms even though my parents give me this regularly.

I still fell poorly, so if anybody has had similar problems or can help in any way we will all be very grateful.

Daisy ;-0

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »
Awww bless you little Daisy  :wub: i can't help, just wanted to give you a gentle ((( hug ))) and send you positive vibes and healing thoughts.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

sweetie

Please Help My Poor Dog
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »
oh poor little sweet daisy,,lots of thoughts coming your way hunny,your mommy and daddy must be so distressed :(

sure you will be fine little star that you are,,keep going ,,stay strong,,and you will be okay in no time,, ;)

lots of snuggles for you little pumpkin,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ziggy jasper and ,mabe,s xxxxx :D