Author Topic: Milly 'wobbling'  (Read 5990 times)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Re: Milly 'wobbling'
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »

My heart is aching for you and Milly.  :'( :'( I had to make the same decision in March, with virtually the same medical condition and for my own lovely little Millie. Sometimes co-incidence is just unbearably painful. I chose to send her to sleep before the pain had a chance to start because I knew it was coming and the vet couldn't guarantee we'd know when it was getting a hold.  I couldn't bear to keep her alive just for my sake.  But that was just for us - not for everyone.  If I had been certain that the vet could keep the pain and distress at bay, I would have seized those few precious days or weeks with both hands. I think you will know when her unhappiness begins to outweigh the good things.  I am so very, very sad and sorry for you both and the horrible decision you have to make.

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
I'm so sorry to read this thread and see that Milly is getting worse. It must be so heartbreaking to see. I can't give any advice, but wanted to send you some hugs.  :bigarmhug:
From me too  :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Just to say I am thinking of you and Milly  :bigarmhug:

Speak at length with your vet. Ask loads of questions so you can get a clear picture of Milly's current conditions, and what the future holds regarding quality of life.

It's so difficult when we see our cockers poorly, but having a complete understanding helps us to do all we can to ensure we are doing the best for them.

Keep us updated and remember we are all here for you :bigarmhug:
Linda & Baxter

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »
Oh I am sorry that she isn't doing very well.

I agree that you should have "that talk" with your vet and discuss quality of life as well as pain issues.

I know you will make the right decisions for your girl, and I am sure she trusts you too.

We will be thinking of you.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
 :bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
I'm so sorry :-* :-* I've only just seen this whole thread.

I'm a big believer in letting them tell you, she may be in a bit of pain but may be happy dealing with it for now - some pain killers have other side affects and if her liver is struggling anyway, then medical help might be limited. If a dog starts to look miserable or for example incontinence is causing them distress etc, then that's when I'd consider helping them on their way. It's different for everyone and some dogs never give up - my last cocker didn't and I questioned after he'd died naturally if I should have made the decision to put him to sleep to save him suffering but even the vet said he didn't think he was ready.. He was a younger dog though (6yrs) so maybe that's a factor as well and older dogs have less energy and fight, I don't know.

You know your dog best.... if she seems ok, then she probably is coping with how she feels or if the vet can help her medically without causing her different issues and you're happy looking after her the way she is, be guided by your gut feeling..  ;)

I wish you both lots of happy cuddles together for now and hope she remains stable and comfortable for a while yet :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
Awww just wanted to say that I am thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: :luv:

Offline noelleybelley

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
Have spoken to my vet, who is lovely, and he says "What she lacks in bodily strength, she makes up for with sheer grit and determination - she's not going to go quietly!!"   :luv:
He doesn't think she's in any pain and is unsure whether it's her heart that's causing all her problems, or whether there's something else going on inside.  He did say that we could do tests, scans and x rays, but that her heart wouldn't withstand any anaesthetic/ surgery anyway, so there would be no point, other than to find out what is wrong.  I don't know if you all think that's a fair view?
I haven't had 'that talk' with him yet, because I've been avoiding it.......  but I know I will have to ask him sooner or later.
I've just come in from collecting my daughter and have been home 15 mins and she hasn't even realised I'm home, she's so deeply asleep.  It feels strange because she's usually right behind the door when I come in and nearly gets her feet run over.  She shows no interest when I take Charlie out for a walk either   :016:

Thanks for all the hugs and wishes   :)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
Just want to send you and sweet Milly very  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: thinking of you both  :luv:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »
:bigarmhug: for you both.  I've not had to make "that" decision yet but I'm sure everyone is correct when they say you will know!  Till then, she's sleeping because her's bodies telling her too.  It doesn't mean she's in pain, just tired.  As long as she generally seems to be getting enjoyment from life, let her be and be guided by the vet  :-*

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
Thinking of you. Just like to say, quite a few of us have been where you are now.

You will know and make the right decision, of that I'm sure.

Take care

Eve x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Never been where you are now but big  :bigarmhug: for you and Milly. All of my love and thoughts for you both x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »
My thoughts are with you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

It is true that when the time comes you will just know.  :'( :'(  Sadly we have parted with 2 of our beloved dogs over the years & it is hard to try to explain but there comes a point & i know this is totally heartbreaking, but we have no choice but to let them go.  :'( :'(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Sending you lots of love & strength.  Thinking of you.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »
Thinking of you both and yes, you do know when it's time. Been there twice before and it's gonna happen again one day. It's not nice but maybe something you may want to broach before it's forced upon you?
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!