Author Topic: Anal Gland Contents  (Read 970 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Anal Gland Contents
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:26:56 PM »
Molo got the fright of his life today when a terrier decided that he was no longer 'young enough' to use his puppy license, so he got a sounds telling off (no teeth, just lots of noise) for being too boistrous!

Immediately afterward, Molo squatted and passed a transparent, foul smelling, brown liquid and I am trying to decide whether this was him emptying his anal glands through fear, or whether he has a dodgy tummy and should be on water for 24 hours? He has not poo'd since, so I can't tell  :rolleyes:    I've assisted with glands emptying before, and seem to remember it was thick, tar like smelly gloop; what Molo passed definitely wasn't the same as that.

I ask cos his stools have been a bit soft for a day or two, but I had put that down to a new type of chew; but am now not sure if his condition has escalated, and I should withdraw food, or not. I know how quickly young dogs can dehydrate and lose weight, so want to make sure I don't inadvertantly make things worse one way or the other!

Can anyone help, please!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Anal Gland Contents
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »
Rachel, I can't offer any medical advice, and please forgive me but this made me laugh because it sounds like he s*** himself in fright. :lol:

Seriously though, I hope he's okay and doesn't have a wee bug or anything.  I'd definately get it checked out if it lasts more than a few days.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Anal Gland Contents
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 09:38:52 PM »
it sounds like he s*** himself in fright. :lol:
:lol:

From the noise he made, you would think he was being ripped limb from limb; it echo'd all around the forest!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

Anal Gland Contents
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 10:48:29 PM »
Anal gland fluid is usually really watery and smells really fishy - very distinctive.  I had a dog here to visit once - very nervous - and, as she ran into the house she emptied her anal glands all over the hall carpet  :o  thank goodness we were taking the carpet up shortly afterwards !
I'd feed as normal until tomorrow and see what happens !

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Anal Gland Contents
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 10:03:17 AM »
Feed as normal but take up any 'rich' treats. If that fails and he is still runny - then move him onto white fish / cooked chicken and boiled rice.

Only resort to just water if he is being sick.  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline motobrox

• Site Member
Anal Gland Contents
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 09:32:23 AM »
When Daisy was alive she had a run in with our old neighbour, who was a real a-hole. She had grabbed Daisy by the ears, then Daisy sunk her teeth into her hand  :D . Once I got a hold of Daisy and kicked the ***** of my property, I noticed Daisy had indeed sh-t herself  :huh: . They have since moved, but I know were too.  :D  :D  :D