Author Topic: Benji  (Read 2028 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
Benji
« on: December 07, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »
well Benji truly must stay with us now as last night he was resting on the sofa and I noticed he was having a mild seizure.He lay afterwards still on the sofa with his eyes fixed and staring and his legs straight out in front of him and his lower jaw sort of sucked into his top jaw.He was acting as if he had a very dry mouth and stayed like this for about an hour.I just sat with him and cuddled him and so did my youngest boy.He didnt know where he was and his face went droopy on one side although there was no flickering of his eyes.He recovered remarkeably and shot out for a wee.when he came back in he settled down for bed as normal and today is still back to his old self.My old dog did this half a dozen times in the 4 years before she went and I have seen this before but Benji is only 6 and already his eyesight is going.I,m wondering if he is actually older than the people who had him before said although the vet when we first had him said his teeth bore out his age and it was about right.I,m going to watch him from now on and he definately stays here with us.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 04:07:50 PM »
:( Aww poor Benji - so sorry to hear about his seizure.  Maybe you ought to get the vet to check him out?

Hope he will be ok - Give him a hug from us xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Shazza

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:09:13 AM »
Poor Benji, hope he feeling better.

Love

Sharon and Jarvis

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:31:39 AM »
Oh, what a shock.  Poor little Benji  :(   Have you had a vet check him out?

I'm really pleased that this has made you decide to give Benji his forever home  :)  
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 11:29:48 AM »
Poor Benji and what a shock for you.  At least you have some experience of what you are dealing with here, so he is a lucky boy to have such caring people around him.

Take care of him and of you.

Sue and ((hugs)) from Tilly

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 12:20:51 PM »
Awwwww I'm sooooooo pleased that you decided to keep Benji and I'm sure he is too  :D  

If you haven't already had Benji checked out by your vet then I would just pop along and let him have a quick look at him, my Gizmo had episodes like this and it turned out to be a problem with his heart, he did go on to live a long and happy life with us, but he needed medication to help him  ;)

Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 12:36:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about little Benji.  Our Yorkshire Terrier started taking seizures when he was about 6, once every couple of months (sometimes longer between them).  He was an otherwise strong, healthy little boy (he was a BIG Yorkie :D ).  It didn't seem to hinder him at all and when we sadly had to have him pts last year it was due to nothing but old age health problems(he was 17!)  I would check it out with the vet though, especially if the seizures become very frequent.

Glad to hear you're keeping him in the family

B) .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Benji
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 05:59:58 PM »
Oh poor Benji this brings back terrible memories for me I nearly in tears as I write this my benji had two seizers this year and died in this June, Its terrible to watch them, I hope he recovers.

Wendy  
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline PennyB

Benji
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 08:20:19 PM »
Glad to hear you're keeping him, but sorry to hear he's just had a seizure.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Sue H

Benji
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 08:48:42 PM »
Poor you and poor Benjy!

My Lab had occasional epileptic seizures - the were so infrequent that we never put her on any meds. but everyone around us knew about them and knew how to react if she had one ...

Of course this could be something else, so you need to get him checked out, but don't assume the worst !!

Make sure you log everything that happens and how long it lasts and how he reacts etc because that it always very helpful in diagnosing and treating any of these things ...

With any luck, it will be one of those isolated things that sometimes happen to your 'children' ... they get over-heated or are coming down with something ....

Barley and Bramble send kisses !!  

Offline dog2

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 08:10:12 AM »
Oh Wendy sorry to have made you feel sad.Benji is still his old self and as was said by Sue H it may well have been he was overheated as we had the fire on and it was very warm.I will watch him and if he does it again will pop him down the vets as the first time Rosie had one i took her down and the vet said there was really nothing he could have done that I hadnt except he did give her an injection as she was still in the middle of it at the time and it was actually a stroke in the end as her eyes were going from side to side.The vet has checked his heart and said despite him having been grossly overweight in the past it hadnt thankfully affected his heart from that point of view but if it turns out not to be an isolated one then of course he will be taken to the vet.I,m going to have to change my vet as the old vet let me pay in installments and this one doesnt although the old one isnt as good.When he was having the seizure it made me come down to earth and realise how much i loved him.It took me back to my old dog and how after she died I thought that they dont last for ever and to have good memories is a great thing and I wouldnt want the memories of Benj to be him being taken off by someone else to live.I want to be there for his next years and to be with him whatever happens to him.Thankyou for all your replies and will give Benj all the licks and kisses(well maybe not the licks :lol: )Pam and Benji :)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 03:52:56 PM »
:) So pleased to hear Benji is ok - will keep my fingers crossed that it was a one off.

Georgie and Daisy send him cuddles x  :wub:  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:02:53 PM »
Poor Benji! :(
I hope too that it was a one off! Give him lots of hugs!
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 06:38:49 PM »
Pam, I'm pleased to hear that Benji is back to his usual self. I am also pleased that you have decided to keep him with you. Sometimes we need a jolt to see the right thing to do.
Good luck & I hope it was just a one off  :)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Benji
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »
I want to be there for his next years and to be with him whatever happens to him

Awww Pam that was so lovely to read, glad to hear Benji's ok  :D

These (((hugs))) are just for you

Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx