Author Topic: Too Young For Season?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Too Young For Season?
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »
Hi there

Some of you may remember that we had a new puppy some time back called Missy.  She is doing extremely well and has grown somewhat since we have had here and certainly made up from being the littlest of her litter.  :)

Over the last two days I have noticed on our kitchen floor that there are lots of little brownish/red spots on the tiles.  I have checked that she has not cut herself anywhere but nothing.... :unsure:

Due to me only having males recently in the past, I cannot quite remember when a bitch starts to have a season, I am sure she is too young yet though???  But I do seem to recall when we did have a bitch a long time ago that it seemed to look like these spots  :blink:

Can someone please clarify when these things happen?  Missy is 4 months old now.

Thanks
[size=8]** Tracy & Missy **[/size]

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 03:14:05 PM »
It can vary but is often between 6-12months.  I have heard of many having their first season later than this (including Lottie at 26 months :rolleyes: ) but can't say I've heard of much earlier although it must happen :unsure:

Is she swollen at all or has her behaviour changed at all recently?  Has she been cleaning herself alot?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:24:53 PM »
Hi Mary

I know the ages does vary a lot and she does seem rather young... She does seem slightly swollen and I must admit she is always a little messy down there (being that she is white), but then she has been licking a fair bit too..... :unsure:

So its hard to know I guess

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
4 months does seem v young for a first season. Just a thought but at this age, Missy is teething so could the blood spots becoming from her mouth?

Jane
Jane

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »
Hi Jane

Yes Missy is teething, she has already cut her first two middle bottom teeth :)  But I did think of checking her mouth and couldn't see where anything has been bleeding there and around her mouth there is no si8gns of blood but again maybe that could have been licked off by her...

Puzzling, I would just like to be sure thats all as she has a 'Xmas Party' in her dog training club tomorrow night and wouldn't want to risk anything happening!! :blink:  

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 04:19:12 PM »
Tracy - another way to check if the blood is coming from her nether regions is to take a piece of clean kitchen roll or loo paper and hold against her girly bit. Take it away and see if there is any sign of staining at all. If yes - then you have something more to go one, although it does seem very very early if she's only 4 months. Which side of four months is she - only just or virtually five?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 04:27:36 PM »
Hi Pammy
She is just 16 weeks, I will try the tissue against her this evening and see what that tells me..
She just seems so little for it to happen now, will see tonight.

Thanks

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 09:00:58 PM »
:blink:  4 months is very very young.  

The tissue way is a good way to check, another way is to...ask her to lie on her back, with her bottom closest to you, and head away from you.  Put your thumbs (i guess you could use fingers, but due to an accident i had as a child i can not feel in my fingers of my right hand, and so i use my thumbs) on either side of the bulge of her bottom (the vulva) near the base of it (closest to her belly).  Very very gently part it a little and look inside.  Check for any discharge, but make sure she hasnt just cleaned herself before you do this.

sportsmonki  

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Too Young For Season?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 10:15:31 AM »
Well last night I did the tissue test and there didn't seem to be any colour on the tissue....She is still busy cleaning herself but maybe thats just coincidence <_<

So I will just keep an eye on her.....Maybe it was her gums after all! :blink:

Thanks for your help