Author Topic: Wheat gluten intolerance  (Read 551 times)

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
Wheat gluten intolerance
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »
I'm considering this as a possible reason for Coopers soft stools and for the last 2 days have only fed him his meals (Wainwrights lamb & rice wetfood for breakfast and kibble for tea) and wainwrights biscuits as their products are wheat gluten free.

Last night Cooper had diahorrea around 10pm but was OK his final walk before bed (11.30) in that he didnt need another poo.

Today his first poo was his usual, well formed but a bit soft to pick up, his second was his usual soft pile then about an hour ago he had diahorrea again.

He's his usual self despite this so was wondering if this is possibly his body "purging" its-self as he's not getting anything with wheat/wheat gluten in it? 

Any ideas if that is a possibility?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Wheat gluten intolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I suppose it's possible, but I do know that my dogs don't tolerate lamb very well, gives them the squits  :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
wainwrights lamb kibble should be fine, try giving him kibble soaked with some of the wet food mixed in twice a day, and no treats for a few days then some fat free treats , and see if he firms up , i would say you are doing the right thing at the moment,
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
I suppose it's possible, but I do know that my dogs don't tolerate lamb very well, gives them the squits  :-\

He's worse on chicken, that brings on the flatulence as well  :005: He's been on lamb based foods for about 18 months, he's just never been that solid (on lamb or chicken), except for 1st thing in morning.  Didn't concern me too much til he had to get his glands emptied twice recently so want to firm him up & hopefully that'll prevent emptying again!

wainwrights lamb kibble should be fine, try giving him kibble soaked with some of the wet food mixed in twice a day, and no treats for a few days then some fat free treats , and see if he firms up , i would say you are doing the right thing at the moment,

As Cooper goes to my Dads when I'm at work he's been well warned not to give him anything other than his normal food & Wainwrights biscuits, & Cooper has been well warned not to give his Grandpaw the Spaniel Eyes to try & get stuff he's not allowed  :005: