Author Topic: Fn Research  (Read 1203 times)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Fn Research
« on: December 16, 2004, 10:05:05 PM »
I noticed today that Charbonnel Cockers are organising a fund to research Familial Nepropathy in cocker spaniels. More information can be found on the Charbonnel site here.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Fn Research
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 10:09:41 PM »
:( I can't get the link to work!  I would have found that interesting too, Indies dads brother died of FN and since I found this out I have been quite concerned for Indie, despite reassurance from Jane :)  and my vet, I will be much happier when I know shes in the clear, I wish they could screen her for it :rolleyes:  

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fn Research
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »
Did I not read that there is a way of testing for this with a urine sample? Or am I thinking of something completely different :blink:  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fn Research
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 11:32:31 PM »
This is for research into a DNA test to identify carriers of the gene - the urine sample test can only identify affected Cockers. At the moment, there is no test to identify carriers but as with all recessive conditions, it's the carriers who mostly pass on the gene so a way of identifying those dogs would be invaluable. If you can't access the Charbonnel website, I believe all the info about the research is now on the English Cocker Club of America's website (the research is being carried out in the US) here.

Jane
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Fn Research
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:01:59 AM »
Ohh I didn't realise she could be screened for it ;)  Hmmm do I or don't I?   DoG forbid if she does have it, is there anything we can do to stop it developing?   I've read somewhere that its more likely to occur up to the age of two, so I was pretty much hoping once she was two she was in the clear!   (Sighs)  I just don't know what to do, if nothing can be done, is there any point knowing?  But if she is clear it may stop me worring about it :rolleyes:

Now i'm babbling on :D  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fn Research
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »
There's no need to have Indie screened Emma - FN is a disease which affects very young Cockers & Indie is long past that age now. Just relax & enjoy her for what she is, a healthy little Cocker :)

Jane
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Fn Research
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »
There's no need to have Indie screened Emma - FN is a disease which affects very young Cockers & Indie is long past that age now. Just relax & enjoy her for what she is, a healthy little Cocker :)

Jane
 :D Thanks Jane!  Will stop worrying now :rolleyes:  :ph34r:  

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Fn Research
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 11:28:32 AM »
Indies dads brother died of FN and since I found this out I have been quite concerned for Indie,
Hi there,
you shouldn't have cause to worry about your dog unless her littermates were affected.
She may be a carrier, but that will have no effect on her whatsoever. Just means that she should not be bred from, because if she is mated to another (unknown) carrier, her pups may be affected by the disease.

There was a litter in Australia affected recently, and the breeder concerned has come forward and the pedigrees have been published on the AONE's website.