Author Topic: Thrombocytopaenia, anyone heard of it?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
Re: Thrombocytopaenia, anyone heard of it?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
Sorry, no advice but I do have lots of  :luv: and  :bigarmhug: for you and Millie, really hope she starts to improve soon  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
How is Millie getting on? xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the messages of support and the advice. It’s been such a help where I have been almost out of my mind worrying.
Millie had nothing to eat Saturday on the instructions of the vet – she was not a happy bunny! Yesterday she had just light meals, scrambled egg in the morning and fish with rice in the evening and today she has had scrambled egg this morning and a few of her own biscuits lunchtime. So far she has managed to keep everything down and, other than the glazed look in her eyes from the steroids, one wouldn’t think that there was anything at all wrong with her.
We know that she has a very serious illness though and are concerned at how going back on the steroids may affect her. Foolishly I have been reading up about the enlarged spleen and don’t like what I have read at all.  Just can’t wait till Thursday when she goes back to the vet so I can ask questions. I really want to know how sure he was in diagnosing autoimmune thrombocytopedia as it seems that tumours are a very common cause. I am wondering how sure he can be that cancer is not the cause just fron the x- ray and blood test. Still worry will not change anything I know.
I will post again when I have some news.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
Sending as many healing thoughts as I can and hope Millie will be ok  :luv: xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Re: Thrombocytopaenia - Updated
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
Millie went back to the vet today for a blood test and she seems to be responding to the steroids very well so far. Her blood platelets have gone up from just 20 last week to what the vet descibes as normal now at over 175,000 and he seemed a bit surprised how quickly she seems to be reponding.  Early days yet but I am feeling much more positive at the moment, although I am still alarmed at how much water she is drinking and at her rapid breathing. The vet is is putting it down to side effects from the steroids and is reducing them from 6 to 4 a day and then down to 2 a day next week

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
Excellent news!  :D Sometimes straight up ITP cases respond quickly and well, I'm glad it's happening for Millie!  :luv:

Yes, the steroids will make some of them drink and wee lots, when her doses are cut that should ease up too. The rapid breathing may be from the steroids, or it may be from the enlarged spleen, making it a bit crowded in there for the lungs to expand fully  :-\

Still sending loads of positive healing thoughts for Millie!  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne