Author Topic: Twig Stuck in Roof of Mouth  (Read 977 times)

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
Twig Stuck in Roof of Mouth
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:42:28 PM »
Just been brushing Charlie when he yawned & something caught my eye in the roof of his mouth.
He's really good about letting you check his mouth & I quickly realised the little fella had a twig jammed across his pallette between his back teeth.
Managed to dislodge it & mouth looks ok but should I do anything else. :huh:
Thinking about it, earlier in the week I'd commented that his breath was smelling a bit - perhaps this was cause.
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Re: Twig Stuck in Roof of Mouth
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »
Poor Charlie  :'( ...glad you saw it, must have been so uncomfortable for him.  No advice, but hope it won't be too sore and he will be ok x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
If he is eating drinking and swallowing ok don't worry. they are little >:D aren't they.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
This happened to Brodie out on a walk and we had to rush her to the vets - it was stuck fast and she was minutes away from getting sedated when the vet managed to prise it out. The only thing we had to do was feed her wet food for a few days as there was some bruising :blink:. I hope Charlie is ok :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I really do think that it has been there a day or two with no external signs - still eating & drinking fine & had a fab agility this morning so will just keep a close eye on him
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

Offline Ali R

• Site Member
  • Fairly Useless
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
Uliss is not allowed sticks anymore for this very reason, she seems to have the sort of shaped mouth or bite that lodges sticks up in the roof of her mouth very easily.

The first time when she was a puppy, I couldn't understand why she wasn't eating and the vet couldn't either. He looked in her mouth and down her throat and completely missed the stick (hopeless vet in France.) She didn't eat for days, I was spoon feeding her yoghurt and roasting her chickens, anything to slip down which didn't touch the sides. Eventually I took her outside in the really bright sun and shone a torch in her mouth and discovered the stick, why the vet missed it I don't know. Anyway she was on anti inflammatries for a couple of weeks and eventually I got her eating again. She had lots so much weight and had become afraid to eat.

It seems whenever she snaps a stick in bits she gets some stuck up in the roof of her mouth as it has happened loads of times since and now I always check her mouth and take sticks away from her. We never had this problem with previous cocker and he was passionate about his sticks on walks.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
This happened to Alfie once but it was quite a big one, he was getting very wound up pawing at his mouth and trying to get at it with his tongue. I managed to get it out for him though and he was fine. Bless :luv: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
This happened to Alfie once but it was quite a big one, he was getting very wound up pawing at his mouth and trying to get at it with his tongue. I managed to get it out for him though and he was fine. Bless :luv: xxx

Exactly the same happened to us with Jarv - fortunately I could hook it out and he didn't cut his mouth at all  :-\

Glad Charlie is ok  :luv: :luv:  did he have any infection after it?
helen & jarvis x

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
Glad Charlie is OK, this must be quite common in cockers (don't know about other breeds) 'cos its happened twice with Bonnie Boo.Luckily I managed to get them out. I don't throw sticks for her but every now and then she picks up a twig from the ground and starts chewing it
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. He is absolutely fine.
We don't throw sticks for any of the boys. Charlie is still in "gardening" phase of puppyhood  >:D and I guess it was one of his pruned twigs. It suspiciously looked like a young branch from my favourite Maple tree!
Anyway, onwards & upwards - guess there'll be plenty more little incidents before he's too much older :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. He is absolutely fine.
We don't throw sticks for any of the boys. Charlie is still in "gardening" phase of puppyhood  >:D and I guess it was one of his pruned twigs. It suspiciously looked like a young branch from my favourite Maple tree!
Anyway, onwards & upwards - guess there'll be plenty more little incidents before he's too much older :luv:

Jarvis always loved sticks and still does - fortunately now he chews in small chunks and spits it out - I think it's really soothing for them (though not necessarily safe  ::) ) and a bit like chewing gum for him.  He doesn't do it very often and it's not something I encourage  ph34r :shades:

You may have a stick boy as well  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
aww - crumbs I bet that was blooming uncomfortable :o  At least you found it and it's all gone :luv:

I always find Staffies seem to be stick or should I say branch lovers!!  There were some trees planted in our local playing fields and were gradually ruined by the local kids....or so we all thought until one day I say a white staffy hanging 2 feet in the air determined to pull down this tree............owner sitting calmly on the ground ::)