Author Topic: Limping  (Read 361 times)

Offline gholmes

Limping
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
Hello,

Over the past couple of months, When Alfie  (  our 7 month old show  CS ) and I, get home from walking which includes off lead time, (chasing a ball in our local field) he has an exaggerated limp in his front right leg. He does not hold his paw off the floor, but limps around the house. However, after about an hour he is back to old self, launching off the top of our settee like some kind of Olympic  spring board diver.  I have stopped exercising him for two separate periods of 4 days, check his leg and paw regularly and I have taken him to the vets, who could find nothing wrong with leg or paw. He prescribed 7 days of anti inflams. But still he limps when we get home. Does anybody have any ideas as to what may be wrong.  please.

Graeme 

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Limping
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:21:24 PM »
Poor little fella!  How long do you exercise him for?  Maybe he is going through a big growth spurt and his joints are feeling a bit stressed so cutting his exercise at the moment to 'short and sweet' might be a good idea for a while - limiting it to say 20 minutes at a time.

Has the vet not offered to do an X Ray?  I think I might be tempted to ask for this also - not to worry you but to rule anything out that you could inadvertently be making worse :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »
I would suggest stopping the ball chasing altogether for a while as that can put a lot of extra pressure on their joints in terms of twisting/stopping suddenly, and as Lisa suggests shorten his walks, and if it doesn't clear up look at x-ray's for him... its probably nothing, but from personal experience I would recommend its better to be safe than sorry.

Hope he gets on the mend very quickly  :luv: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline gholmes

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
Thank you for your advice.

Graeme

Offline ali carrera

• Limited Member
  • CARRERA & PORTIA
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
Apologies for hi jacking your thread Graeme, I would like to highlight the incident that has affected Portia.

After yesterdays morning walk, Portia developed a limp in her front right leg. She had been pursuing squirrels and had covered a great deal

of ground. I checked her paw and leg and with nothing apparent made the decision to monitor the situation, hoping that she had a slight

strain and it would right itself. So I rested her for the remaining day.

This morning she was lethargic and clingy so I took her straight to the Vets. The lovely Vet found a small sore in her armpit. She sedated her

straight away and I was asked to come back at 3pm this afternoon.

The Vet had found 4 grass seeds imbedded so deeply that they had to be flushed out.

I feel so angry at myself for failing to check the armpit area- I was so focused on the paw and leg. My stupidity has put poor Portia through

a day of horrid pain.

She is sleeping off her GA now, and fully medicated  :luv:

I'm gutted with myself  :embarassed: