Author Topic: Brushing a dogs teeth  (Read 5597 times)

Offline maddy74

Brushing a dogs teeth
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »
Hiya, we are new to this and not collecting our baby for her forever home until 11th feb. Been out and brought some equipment for her tonight. Do I need a toothbrush for her whilst she is still so young, and if so how often do I brush her teeth? Thank you

Offline lilylulu

Re: Brushing a dogs teeth
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »
I did not buy Lily a brush as a puppy. I think it may be an idea to introduce one at an early stage as there is no way she will tolerate it now. ( I have tried) She is getting some tartar build up now and dental treatment for dogs is very expensive. Good luck with your new addition.  :D

Offline Ali R

• Site Member
  • Fairly Useless
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
Uliss has had her teeth brushed since she was a tiny puppy, she's now nine years old. I buy an ordinary baby toothbrush from Boots (I find it more managable than the pet ones) and use chicken flavoured toothpaste from my vets. Both my dogs love having their teeth cleaned. One of the tricks is to squash the toothpaste down into the bristles otherwise your puppy will just eat the blob of toothpaste!
Best of luck, I know some people have problems cleaning teeth but mine took to it straight away.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
All mine love having their teeth brushed.  Two of mine were used to it from pups and the other two were thankfully curious enough not to mind  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
 Wicked thanks for the info. I will get her a babys brush and ask my vet about toothpaste when I go. Willow is going to have pearly white teeth....  :011:

Is it pretty much the same as grooming her coat, start early on?

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Wicked thanks for the info. I will get her a babys brush and ask my vet about toothpaste when I go. Willow is going to have pearly white teeth....  :011:

Is it pretty much the same as grooming her coat, start early on?

Yes, get them used to being brushed - it will save you lots of problems in the future.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:24:50 AM »
Mine are fine with teeth cleaning although I dont do it as often as I should! Ideally should be done once or twice a day but unfortunatly we don't live in an ideal world, I struggle to have time in the morning as it is without having 5 extra sets of teeth to clean LOL

Just thought I would say you shouldn't use human toothpaste as it contains floride (can't spell) and maybe other chemicals which dogs can't have. You can use corsodyl mouthwash by appling it to a peice of cotton wool and wiping their mouth twice a day (ideally) I do this as often as I can with our 9 year old as it helps to prevent plaque buildup and prevents gingavitis which she has been known to suffer from.

I would get them used to it when young so they dont mind the vet or anyone looking at their teeth.
One cocker leads to another...

Offline maddy74

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
Thanks for your replies  :dance04:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

Before you start to use a toothbrush.   Sit with her on your lap and stroke the side of her mouth, if you are going to use a clicker this would be usefuland treat her.   Then gently start to lift the side of her lip and treat her.   Before using the tooth brush, put a little doggy toothpaste on the end of your finger keep treating her.   Then you can get to the stage of using a toothbrush just do a small area of her teeth first then build up.  Keep using the treats then she will see that cleaning her teeth is a good thing.  The idea is that you do this slowly don't rush it.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
I also put "plaque off" on Abbi's evening meal which helps prevent the build up of plaque, along side brushing.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:39 AM »
jessie pup, thanks for advice. I probably wouldnt have done it gradually and would of ended up with a distressed or angry dog....   :huh:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »
Hiya Abbi, Whats plaque off?

Offline Abbi

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »
Hiya Abbi, Whats plaque off?

I think it's basically powdered seaweed and you put a tiny scoop on food once a day. Seems to stop plaque from forming. I think it works well and Abbi has nice white teeth. It's quite expensive for a small pot but lasts for ages. We got ours from the vet but think it's available online and maybe in pet shops too.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
Cheers Abbi I will ask at the vets  :cool4: