Author Topic: Sore foot  (Read 729 times)

Offline tubbyshrimp

Sore foot
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
Wondered if anybody has any advice!

We added to our cocker spaniel family two weeks ago, we got Tandy from a breeders (she has been a breeding bitch and is now 5 and has been spade and retired) She has quickly learned from Ellie how to walk on a lead (ish) and poo and wee outside (most of the time hehe)

Shes fab! We noticed she started to limp, we thought maybe we had walked her too much as she wasn't used to it and decided to leave it a few days however the limp got considerably worse and we took her to the vet.

On looking at her feet the vet said she has strange feet (her pads are laid out unusually and joined together) said it wasn't a problem and does occur sometimes. She said her front left paw was particularly sore - (on her pad you can see an inflamed pink bit)  and said it should clear up and too apply fuciderme gel twice a day. This was on Sat am and she said we should see an improvement in 2-3 days. I have done exactly as she said but it looks very pink, poor Tandy is limping more than ever and sometimes holding it up too! If its no better by thursday will go back but wondered if anybody had any ideas about it? I could get a photo if it would help,

thanks

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
Re: Sore foot
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
Sorry I have no advice but well done for adopting an ex breeder.  I am sure someone more helpful will be here soon. :D
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Haven't experienced this but you can buy doggie booties which could help relieve some symptoms on her feet and allow her to help them heal quicker? Maybe she wasn't walked before and being new to walks has exacerbated her original problem. Hope her pads heal quickly for her. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
I have a friend who has a golden retriever who is 14 now.  In the last 4 years she has to wear dog socks & shoes if she walks on concrete/ pathways/ roads as they cause her to have sore / cracked pads.
With the shoes on she's absolutely fine and looks so cute that she loves the extra attention that she gets as she passess people.
Good luck with the vet and i hope they can give you something for her to resolve this.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline tubbyshrimp

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Her foot is even worse today, holding it up all the time and limping terribley  :'( shes booked in for the vets this afternoon.  Ellie keeps trying to play and Tandy is just looking at her! I can't play with a poorly foot I hope it doesn't make Ellie give up playing with her !! We've only had her two weeks!

Have been doing  little googling, and the patch is red and oozy, I really think it could be a hot spot... anybody got info on this? I did a little search on here and found a few stories but as they weren't on the bottom of the foot I suppose they weren't so sore :(

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
Hope everything went well at the vets and Tandy's foot is soon better.

Offline dazsl

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
keep the foot dry clean the sore pad with hibiscrub twice a day make sure there is no fur irritating the sore part when the pad has healed dub with surgical spirt to harden the pad these problems can take up to 6 weeks to heal