Author Topic: What's up?  (Read 696 times)

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
What's up?
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
 Not sure what is up with our pup Dillon - 18 weeks old.  He started to lose teeth a week or so ago with not too much trouble.  Tuesday and Wednesday he started to be less interested in his meals (VERY unusual) although he did eat them he was less enthusiastic - put this down to teething so not too worried.  Thursday morning OH came down at his usual time and whereas Dillon usually greets him, goes out does his business and goes back to bed whilst OH gets ready for work he was quite distressed, scratching incessantly (ears, chin, body) and crying....could not settle.  By the time I came down about 30 mins later he was a little better but it started again after he greeted me.  It continued for about an hour, he was lying down, getting up, scratching, crying and moving from room to room he was quite obviously tired but could not settle anywhere.  Anyway we were worried as it was so out of character and after checking him ourselves decided to take him to the vet.  He was given a thorough examination, heart, chest both fine, temperature a little raised, checked for fleas - clear (phew!), the only place where he seemed to be showing discomfort while she was checking was his mouth.  I should also mention that he had also completely stopped 'biting us' (quite nice to get a break from that  ;)).  He was given a shot (anti inflammatory) to help and it was put down to teething, however we were told to make another appointment for this evening in case there was no improvement (they would consider further tests).  He was fine for the rest of the day, in fact by the time we got to the Vet's he was more like his usual self (typical). 
This morning on rising (I was first up today!) he was the same as yesterday although it didn't seem to last as long. He seems fine at the moment and is sleeping peacefully.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of thing?  Also one other 'symptom'.....he seems to prefer to be in a room away from us!!!!!  He has always wanted to sleep at our feet on his blanket but for the past few days he either goes out to his little 'area' and sleeps on the floor or into the next room ...... was it something I said????

Sorry for the long post - hope someone can throw some light on this strange behaviour.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: What's up?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
Maybe he's just got some particularly painful teeth coming through. Does he have anything he can chew on which might help?  Frozen carrots, frozen teatowel/cloth etc... that can help sooth the gums....
Poor little fella... hope he's feeling better soon  :luv: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Hi, yes he has lots of 'teething' aids, wide variety of toys including those you can freeze, chews, frozen carrots, kongs etc all of which he has not been that interested in  ;) ....now, if he was allowed to chew on pegs, slippers, shoes, twigs he would be very happy  :005:

I've just found another post where the dog was scratching at the floor, Dillon has also been doing this , and the owner said it was a sign of pain?  OH thinks it is purely his teeth I am more concerned about the sudden taking himself off away from us, it has been such a pleasure to have a dog about the place again and as I type I am feeling quite lonely sitting here  :-\.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
It does sound as though he's in pain;
The "hiding away" is the symptom I would associate
with a dog in pain.
Teething can be painful obviously, but the constant
scratching and elevated temp make me wonder if
there is something else going on.
I think I might be tempted to go back to the vet because
if it's just the teeth then fine, but if it's not then what is
going on?
I do hope Dillon :luv: feels better soon,
steffxxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
Poor little guy - have you tried Bonjela? It might help ease things a bit for him.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Oh sorry you read about your little fella.  Hope his teeth get sorted soon, and that he is finally out of the discomfort.

Agree with everyone else that they seem to go away to their own little space when they have discomfort of any kind.

Sending loads of cyber cuddles his way.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Thanks all for your kind replies.  So far today, apart from first thing, he hasn't been scratching or 'digging' so much.  I'm pretty sure his temp is back to normal too.  He managed brekkie and lunch ok (although still at a less enthusiastic pace than normal) and is also drinking.  Took him for a short walk which he isn't keen on at the best of times and he is now crashed out........in the 'other room' although within eyeshot....he does follow me if I move so perhaps I am not completely out of favour  ;).  I may move the appointment to Monday and see how he is over the weekend.

Debs

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
Very best of luck Debs.  It is always worrying when we don't know exactly what's troubling them.

It'll be sorted for the little man, and he will be ok again soon, I am sure.

Hugs for you all. xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Thanks again all.  We have moved his appointment with the vet to Monday just in case  ;) 

Jay....I will get some bonjela to try, I suspect he will like that alot  :005: