Author Topic: What would you have done…  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Doogers

• Donator
What would you have done…
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Took Indie to the vets on Saturday as she started limping late Friday evening. Checked her paw which looked normal. However by the morning the paw was very bloody & sore, probably due to Indie picking at it during the night.

The vet said straight away that he thought something may be in there. He gave m 2 choices.

1) He could do a small op to open paw and remove anything.

2) Put her on antibiotics hoping paw heals and anything works its way out naturally. (If this didn't work he would have to perform the small op anyway)

I chose option 1 as I got the feeling the was saying option 2 wouldn't work and be a waste of time.

However he didn't find anything during op so I've put Indie through it for nothing!

Interested to know what my fellow COLers would have done????

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline seaangler

Re: What would you have done…
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
Proberley... Indie during the night got what was ever in there out....

But is he fit and well now....

Yes No 1....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline karen488

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
I would have done the wrong thing whatever. If I'd opted for the antibiotics she would have needed the op. At least you didn't feel pressured into the op by the vet. Glad she's on the mend. :)

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
Hi Doogers

stop beating your self up about it, its over, and hopefully the paw is going down again now?.
if you hadn't of said yes, and Indie needed it later, you would be just as bad, we can only make decisions on the info we have at that time, and as the old saying goes ' hindsight is a wonderfull thing'!!

just give lots of cuddles to make you feel better!!  :bigarmhug:  and keep an eye on the paw!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
Hi Doogers

stop beating your self up about it, its over, and hopefully the paw is going down again now?.
if you hadn't of said yes, and Indie needed it later, you would be just as bad, we can only make decisions on the info we have at that time, and as the old saying goes ' hindsight is a wonderfull thing'!!

just give lots of cuddles to make you feel better!!  :bigarmhug:  and keep an eye on the paw!

Very true!

I had a vet convince me to have a biopsy on a small lump then an anesthetic to remove when in hindsight I feel I should have left it longer (was probably a bit of bramble that would have worked it's way out).

Hope her paw heals quickly  :-* :-*

Millie

Offline redlottie

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
Hi Doogers

We had a similar thing the other week.  No visible injury but Albie was limping vet said we could try antibiotics or op and we went for 2 weeks of antibiotics.  It didnt improve and he ended up having is pad opened under anaesthetic, to find no foreign body but a nasty infection that needed flushing out.

I guess what I am saying if I had had the time over again I would have definately did what you did so I guess you just never know whether you are making the right decision.

Also, bear in mind that Indy doesnt know that the vet didnt find anything  ;)

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks all, I feel better!! :D

Took her back yesterday to get her bandage/dressing removed. Unfortunately the wound hadn't really healed enough and her paw started bleeding quite heavily. Nurse put another bandage on and we have to take her back tomorrow now to assess.

Any idea why they would not have stitched the paw??

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
I would have definately have said option 1 to try and find the route of the issue as soon as possible for the dog so i think you done the right thing - if you had chose option 2 then waited and had the op you would have felt you should have got the op straight away and now you can at least say that you know its defo not something in the paw
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Any idea why they would not have stitched the paw??

If the wound is infected it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing to stitch it as it wouldn't drain.

Hope she's better soon.

PS.  I'd have chosen option 1 too.  Ollie had a paw that was worrying him (and me) so I took him to my vet who suggested he may have a broken toe (!) or an infection of the bone.  Put him on anti-b's for a week.  No better after the week, and had to have op anyway, and found grass seed which I had suspected all along.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
Hi when paddy had his ops for the grass seed in his neck, they left the wound unstitched. I asked why and they said it was to give whatever was in there an easy route out. It didnt work for us and the poor thing had to have another op anyway but i think it was just because the flesh around the seed was so infected  :'( Hope indie heals soon x

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
I would have made the same choice as you  ;)

I would have been of the opinion that the antibiotics may not work and maybe the op would be necessary anyway! 

Don't stress over it - the name thing is Indie is fine  ;)

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
Exactly what you did....  There is no need to give yourself a hard time, you made your choice for the right reason.   :bigarmhug:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
I have an excellent vet, so when I have these kinds of choices I ask her "What would you do if it were your dog?"  :shades: It helps me a lot
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
Whatever the decision you made it was because you wanted the best for your dog so I wouldn't beat yourself up either. The recovery will be quick and at least it appears nothing was in the paw so thats all you could do.

I had my girl spayed because she seemed to be having too many seasons and we thought she may have a cyst on her ovaries or worse. In actual fact she had neither, had a terrible recovery from a traumatic procedure and I like you beat myself up about it, but I did it because I cared for her and I thought it was the best option. Now fully recovered she's fine, wasn't something she needed to have done but she's fine, same as your dog will be. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline redlottie

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
When albie had his the vet said they dont stitch the pad and albies healed lovely. The dressing was on for about 10 days though