Author Topic: Trying to be sick but its silvia which is foamy  (Read 681 times)

Offline eelliott

Trying to be sick but its silvia which is foamy
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
Hello,

Yesterday, Jasper who is 17 months blue roan sounded as though he was going to be sick but he just brought up silvia which was foamy looking.  It happened a further 3 times yesterday morning but then Jasper seemed fine and was his normal self.

This afternoon I have just noticed in the garden that Jasper has brought up silvia which is foamy looking again - does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this, and what I should be doing?  I haven't reached panic stations yet to call the vet but I am getting concerned.

Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks
Evelyn

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Trying to be sick but its silvia which is foamy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
Many dogs will bring up either frothy white or frothy yellow stuff from time to time and if the dog is otherwise well it's generally nothing to worry about. If it's white then maybe he's either eaten or drunk too quickly or has eaten something that disagrees with him slightly. Yellow frothy bile and saliva is more often vomited during the night and is often settled by a bedtime biscuit.

Does Jasper have any other symptoms? Has he been coughing? Kennel cough symptoms can include retching and producing white frothy vomit.

Is he eating, drinking and pooing normally and acting as usual? If so, I'd be inclined to monitor him and perhaps feed him something bland for a day or so.

Hope he's back to normal soon :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
Odie done this early this morning (around 6am), he retched and brought up a bit of foamy spit.  No reason why he does this occasionally (always very early morning :huh:) and he's fine afterwards.  He's fine in himself, eating/drinking and toileting fine.  Hope all is OK with Jasper.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
Kira had what sounds like the same earlier in the year, especially after drinking.  She had had it for a couple of days so i took her to the vets, and could we get her to do it again - not on your life >:D >:D  The vet said she had probably stratched her windpipe but not really anything she could see.  Didnt happen again

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
Is there any grass in the vomit?  Mine quite often bring up frothy vomit after eating grass but you can usually see grass. The only time they have brought up frothy vomit without the grass is when they had kennel cough. The cough of kennel cough sounds like wretching and wanting to be sick or something is stuck in their throats.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
My previous cocker had a lot of frothy/foamy vomit when he had kennel cough as others have suggested and he sounded like he'd something stuck in his throat, but it seems like it could be one of a number of other possible reasons too from what others are saying - it's just the kennel cough froth is quite distinctive. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Offline eelliott

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has come back with advice.  Jasper is eating, drinking and going to the toilet normally.  He wants extra cuddles though he gets loads of cuddles in abundance, as I am typing this note he is lying right next to me in bed fast asleep!

I think that I will monitor the situation and just give him bland food over the next couple of day's, so far today Jasper hasn't brought anything up!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice, I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Love
Evelyn