Author Topic: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Blind, Deaf And Incontinent
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »
Poor old Charley will be fourteen next week, and he is becoming a bit of a handful to look after.  He has been blind and deaf for some time now and coped reasonably well.  Unfortunately, he has now become incontinent, and it's getting me down a bit.  Yesterday he was eating his dinner and weeing at the same time.  He has been doing this quite frequently and I'm a bit concerned.   It seems to be due to old age and senility: he often seems not to know where he is at times.

Has anyone else had an old Cocker and dealt with this?  My last Cocker was fifteen when he passed away, and although he was a tad senile his toilet habits were quite manageable.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Re: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
So sorry Charlie is not doing so well, I have no advice Robbie but just wanted to I am thinking of you.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Sending you both lots of caring thoughts  :bigarmhug:

You know your boy the best Robbie but could he have a bit of an infection at all, that is making his continence a little worse at the mo, or is it part of a slow decline that your noticing?
Feel for you right now, as it must be very saddening to see age catching up with your special old boy  :'(

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
I had a similar situation with my first Cocker, Josh, so I understand why it's getting you down Robbie :bigarmhug:

Josh started to go deaf when he was about 9 or 10, then started to lose his sight when about 12. Eventually he was blind and deaf but, like Charley, coped pretty well. He still enjoyed his food, cuddles, saying hello to other dogs and going for short walks in the New Forest.

Later he became mildly bladder incontinent when sleeping, but was fine when awake. He also started to get a bit senile, taking a while to realise where he was when waking up. Once awake he was usually OK but had a few distressing times where he'd wander in circles or just stand still, wagging his tail forlornly. He was prescribed Vivitonin http://www.buyvivitonin.co.uk/ and that helped.

I don't know what to suggest about the incontinence, but perhaps Vivitonin could help to perk Charley up generally. I really feel for you Robbie, it's so sad seeing old age catching up with them :-* :bigarmhug:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
I don't have any advice or experience of this but just wanted to say I feel for you and send you some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Millie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
I too have no advice or experience but also wanted to send you lots of hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
So sorry for you both. :'(  Charlie is one of my favourite oldies  :luv:
Just wondered if these would help a little on the practical side.
http://www.dog-nappy.co.uk/
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline wendyt

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
Robbie I know exactly what you are going through at the moment, so I'm sending you a :bigarmhug:

Charlie may not be incontinent it might be a water infection, so it might be worth taking a sample along to the vets. Chester my old CKCS who was nearly 15 (sadly no longer with us) suffered from incontinence from when he was about 12 and was on Incurin for this, but last October he had the same problem as Charlie and I feared the worst but he had a really nasty water infection that took a while to clear with antibiotics.  He was put onto a supplement called Aktivait to help with his senility at around the same time and I think it did improve his awareness.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
Robbie I know exactly what you are going through at the moment, so I'm sending you a :bigarmhug:

Charlie may not be incontinent it might be a water infection, so it might be worth taking a sample along to the vets. Chester my old CKCS who was nearly 15 (sadly no longer with us) suffered from incontinence from when he was about 12 and was on Incurin for this, but last October he had the same problem as Charlie and I feared the worst but he had a really nasty water infection that took a while to clear with antibiotics.  He was put onto a supplement called Aktivait to help with his senility at around the same time and I think it did improve his awareness.

I was wondering just the same ..... 

Hugs to you both - it is so hard to see our oldies beginning to struggle  :bigarmhug:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
Just sending these to you both x x x

:bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

sarahR

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Sorry to hear Charley is having a hard time. No advice as ours are young just sending you both a big hug. :bigarmhug:

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
Just sending these to you both x x x

:bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug: :luv: :bigarmhug:

Lots of these from me also :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
 :bigarmhug: to you and Charley.  It's tough.

Have had 2 dogs that became senile.  Our springer would wake up in the middle of the night barking.  She continually looked for her water bowl in the opposite corner to where it had been kept for years.  She went in the opposite direction when recalled because she got so confused.  Poor lass.  She was stone deaf but coped well with hand signals.  Our lab was similar, but went blind as well as deaf.  For her we made the decision when I had to start lifting her out of her bed and onto her feet in the mornings.  She was OK once up, but she was ready to go in the end.  I never had to deal with incontinence, so try all the suggestions as it could be something that is curable.  You will know when its time.   :bigarmhug:

Offline JulieM

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
Also no advice, but wanted to send you our thoughts- he's a lucky boy to have such a caring owner  :bigarmhug:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
No advice, just sending  :bigarmhug: