Author Topic: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
I am so sorry Robbie to hear about poor Charlie  :'(  it is so very hard to see our much loved elderly dogs declining  :'(

Our goldie started being unable to hold his poops when he reached 13 yrs old, it used to distress him so much  :'(  on top of which his back legs were getting weaker &
weaker.  :'(

It is def. worth checking that Charlie hasn't got a urine infection though  :shades:

My thoughts are with you & Charlie  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  Please stay strong for him  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
I'm so sorry you are both experiencing this. :bigarmhug:

No real advice other than urine infection.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Awww, try not to let it get you down too much.  I don't have any first hand experience of an incontinent dog but recently, a lady I know with an elderly dog, had the same problem as you.  She looked absolutely exhausted (the lady) and was using incontinence pads on her dog.  I saw her again a few weeks later and the vet had prescribed some drug (can't remember the name) and she had made a massive improvement and didn't need the pads anymore.  I'm sure your vet can help make things a little easier for both of you.  Good luck to you and dear Charlie  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
We had a poodle when we were growing up and she had PRA and went completely blind at 9 yrs old, her hearing wasn't too bad but when she hit 15 yrs she started pooping in the house. It was very distressing for her (she was previously extremely clean despite her blindness) and not exactly pleasant for us. After a while of it not getting any better my mum took her to the vets where they diagnosed bowel cancer and a bad heart. My mum decided to have her pts on that visit. It was very sad and we were all lost without her.

Thinking of you both. :-\
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Sorry, no advice but lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:for you both

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
 :bigarmhug:'s Robbie, can imagine how hard you must be finding it at the moment.  Charlie is such a sweetheart  :luv:  I would definitely get him checked out at the vets in case there is something thats caused the change rather than his age. 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Darwin

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
Sending you both big hugs.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Bronmar

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
Hello Robbie 34,
I've just seen your post about Charley and his continence problem. My last cocker, Bertie, was incontinent for both poo and wee for the last 2 of his 14 years. The wee was by far the bigger problem to manage but I discovered the Dog Nappy co. who make 'nappies' (I called them shorts) designed to hold continence pads.  Bertie took to the shorts from day one, he had a fantastic quality of life with using them including continuing to sleep on the bed!
I tried a variety of pads, the 'for men' type proved the most effective. It was a challenge and not cheap but worth it to have him for as long as I did.

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:24 AM »
 :bigarmhug: to you and Charlie
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
I really feel for you and Charlie :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: He's such a lovely old boy :luv: I hope the vet finds the cause and cures it.
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
Our rescue had an elderly springer a couple of years ago - he was found on a  cliff edge where someone had obviously left him to perish.......our vet reckoned he was between 12-14 years old and he was in pretty bad shape including incontinence and a bladder infection.  Lucky for him he found a fabulous foster carer for his last year and I know she used the pads with great success.  He was truly a different dog so I think a vet visit would be good as well  :shades: thinking of you both.  :bigarmhug:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:25 AM »
Do hope the vet can help to give your Charlie a little more quality in his declining years.

But.... I'm afraid you really must think are you doing all this for yourself or Charlie. Dogs need dignity too.

I really do hope you have a little more time with him.

Eve x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »
Many thanks for your kind thoughts and advice.  Charley has control but is not "asking" to go out.  He made a small mess in the lounge this morning after going in the garden where he only wee'd.   He has always been a very clean dog, even when on one occasion he had the runs and woke me to take him in the garden.  The cause is clearly senility.

I can put up with it because he still enjoys going out for walks and going in the car with Henry and me.  He is also eating well.

I'll contact the vet and see about Vivitonin.

Offline wendyt

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »
Hi Robbie
Chester was exactly the same as Charley, he had control but wouldn't ask to go out or would go to the wrong door. When I let him out of the back door (his usual door) he would go for a wee and come in and have a poo on the kitchen floor, he seemed to forget that he needed a poo. At times he would stand on the lawn and look quite lost, it was quite distressing to watch. The vet recommended Vivitonin, which unfortunately didn't improve things for him so we then tried Aktivait. After a few weeks he was more alert and generally more aware of things occassionally he did have the odd accident but not as many.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »
Hi Robbie
Chester was exactly the same as Charley, he had control but wouldn't ask to go out or would go to the wrong door. When I let him out of the back door (his usual door) he would go for a wee and come in and have a poo on the kitchen floor, he seemed to forget that he needed a poo. At times he would stand on the lawn and look quite lost, it was quite distressing to watch. The vet recommended Vivitonin, which unfortunately didn't improve things for him so we then tried Aktivait. After a few weeks he was more alert and generally more aware of things occassionally he did have the odd accident but not as many.

You have described Charley to a T.  He wanders aimlessly around the lounge as well as in the garden. I wouldn't dream of having him PTS unless his quality of life was poor.  At the moment he gets excited when we are going out either for walks or in the car.  I've no idea how he knows, being deaf and blind.