Author Topic: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Blind, Deaf And Incontinent
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
I am so sorry for you both but glad that giving up isn't an option for you just yet.  It must be so upsetting to watch.  Bless you both xxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
No advice but lots of  :bigarmhug: for you and Charlie.

It is very difficult to watch our beloved pooches decline in old age.

Here's hoping the vet can offer advice to make him more comfortable in his dotage.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline wendyt

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
Robbie

Looking back Chester had been going senile for quite sometime before we really noticed there was a problem It began with pacing at night, at first we thought he just couldn't get a comfy spot but later we noticed him looking lost in the garden and staring into his water bowl for ages. A trip to the vets confirmed that he was going senile. Some days were better than others but the supplement did seem to help him.

Unfortunately in the last few weeks his health began to deteriorate, and his quality of life was poor so we made the heartbreaking decision to have him PTS on Saturday 7th January. He's such a miss and I now realise just how much time I spent caring for him, but I'd like to think he'd had a long and happy life with us, and under the circumstances it was the kindest thing to do.

You will know when it's time to let Charley go in the meantime enjoy your precious time together.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both. Wendy xx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
It breaks my heart to read this, my Charlie will be 13y/o in April so far so good he is sleeping a bit more but otherwise doing good for his age.  I lost my ESS 2 years ago at 12y/o she started going senile wandering about and toilet in the house also loosing perception of where she was.  We made our decision when after a vary bad urinary infection constanly leaked urine no amount of anti biotics seemed to help.  Then when her abdomen looked to be very swollen the vet thought she may have a tumour, we decided not to let them take it any further and said a tearfull goodbye to our girl, she was ready to go I saw the look and would have loved to ignore it but knew she deserved better. 
Hugs to you both I hope the vet can give Charlie something to help I so know where you are just now, they are never with us long enough I so dread the day when my Charlie starts the downward decline like you I will do whatever I can to keep him healthy and have a good quality of life.
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
pepper is  15 is deaf can still see ok but is incontinent shes on propalin for the waterworks which helps as its spay incontinence and shes now faecally incontinant as shes had 2 big strokes affecting her back end. shes still happy scoffing her grub and playful. she is a sprocker however and they will run til they die. they dont really stop being pups, very hard work. anyway I crate her in a large crate 36 x 24 inches roughly and she has a waterproof memory foam mattress from zooplus in there shes as happy as larry. I toilet her regularly after every meal and every hour or so, she has to be walked to get things moving and that helps. when shes not being supervised shes in the crate with toys to chew stuff like kongs pigs ears she chews away contentedly . She doesnt get anything unusual to eat as that will make her movements soft shes on a good quality kibble ( CJS) and her movemnts are firm and easily picked up . the day she doesnt want her grub or is in pain is the day I will let her go. until then we will muddle along. I also have folk who come in and let her out when Im working. shes also on vivatonin.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I spoke to Charley's vet last night - at her home - and I'm hoping that she will be able to see him on Tuesaday afternoon - I have to 'phone the main branch on Monday morning to arrange this.

Kathryn thinks he may have kidney or liver problems, and he may need blood tests to check this.  She said she can also prescribe some thing to increase the blood flow to his brain which may help with his senility.  I'll update after Charley has seen the vet.

I have been to an exhibition in Manchester today and took the boys with me in the car.  Both had some exercise before I went in, and both were fine when I returned.  Charley did not make any mess in the car and was fast asleep when I returned.  Drove to a Morrisons supermarket for a bit of shopping and to get some treats for them, which they both enjoyed, before returning home - about a forty-five minute journey - and Charley was no problem.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Hi Robbie, I'm saddened to read about poor Charley, but so pleased he has such a caring owner!

I hope that your vet can see him and help him gain a little more control / clear headed-ness, for him and for you as it must be horrible to see him so.

lots of  :bigarmhug: 's  x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »

Hi Robbie........Lucy our show cocker lived to the good old age of 16 after two serious pancreatic attacks.  She was only ill in the last few weeks before we made the painfull decision to let her go, you do know when the time comes and it is the last kindness that you can do for them as hard as it is.   She was followed the following year by our other show cocker Bracken who was 14, he had been having trouble with his back legs and when he could no longer hold himself up and he was showing signs of distress again we knew the time had come.

Bramble & Beri our workers are 5 this year and I am already upset because Beri has to have an op on his leg this week .......time goes so fast.  Enjoy your time with Charley and he will tell you when its time  :luv: :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Bless poor Charley - fingers crossed for your consult on Tuesday.

Were you at the caravan show by the way ?

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
Thinking of you both :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
Bless poor Charley - fingers crossed for your consult on Tuesday.

Were you at the caravan show by the way ?

Yes, but didn't see anything interesting.  It was packed, and glad that I got complimentary tickets.  I didn't stay long.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
I took Charley to the vet this afternoon and he was given a thorough examination.  He has an enlarged prostate and his heart murmur has worsened, but as he is not coughing Kathryn is not certain if his senility might be caused by his heart not pumping the blood efficiently to his brain.  If he goes on Vetmedin he will have to remain on it even if it is not that.  Anyway, the upshot is that Charley will go on Vivitonin, and if there is no improvement, to go back and he will be put on Vetmedin.

I'll monitor his progress and see how things go.  It's his birthday on Thursday.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
Hope the medication helps Charley.  Wishing him a very happy birthday for Thursday.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
Glad you saw the vet, and have a plan in place, hope it helps.  :bigarmhug:

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
Glad you saw the vet, and have a plan in place, hope it helps.  :bigarmhug:

ditto .. lots of  :bigarmhug:  for both of you - hope it goes well x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x