Author Topic: growth!  (Read 744 times)

Offline CockersIndie

growth!
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
when do cocker spaniels stop growing? my girl is 7 months now and she's a little on the small side compared to alot of the cockers i see walking. we had a cocker before, but she was the smallest of the littler and was always small! so i just wanted to see at what age one would think they should be 'fully grown'

thanks!

Offline ebony girl

Re: growth!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
mine stopped growing about 10 months......

measure her from shoulder to floor, and weigh her....let us know the results and you may be surprised to realise that she isnt that small after all compared to others... ;)

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
i think she's about 14 cm at the shoulder- although this was a dodgy measurement considering she wasn't too sure about the tape measure! maybe 13? she just always looks a little bit shorter than the other cockers on the common!

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
Oh and we weighed her at the vets the other day and she was just over 8kg...

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
Cupar measures 16ins from shoulders, but girls tend to be smaller. He stopped growing in height around 10-12months and is now at 15 months filled out to his shape. Weighed at vet today and is 10.75kg. Normal is between 10 - 12 kg for cockers vet says.

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
and when i said cm i mean inches- she would be very small if she was 13 cm!! oops!

ah ok, so perhaps a couple more months of growing time then! she is very 'fine' at the moment too. im obviously far too impatient to see how my girl will turn out! tut me!

thanks for the info though!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
i think she's about 14 cm at the shoulder- although this was a dodgy measurement considering she wasn't too sure about the tape measure! maybe 13? she just always looks a little bit shorter than the other cockers on the common!

Neither is Hazel!  :lol:

At 7months Hazel is definitely bigger than Jen, who is 8, but has always been shorter and rounder than Millie and other Cockers we meet - conformance to standard isnt her strong point  :lol:
She looks bigger than Millie, but I think its a optical illusion because of the puppy fluff and top knot, but as she's not convinced about the tape measure I think she's 1cm shorter than Millie. She was 9kg the last time she was weighed  ph34r
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »

I hope you mean inches  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »

I hope you mean inches  :lol2:

haha yes. she'd be oh so tiny!! oops.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »
Cupar measures 16ins from shoulders, but girls tend to be smaller. He stopped growing in height around 10-12months and is now at 15 months filled out to his shape. Weighed at vet today and is 10.75kg. Normal is between 10 - 12 kg for cockers vet says.

Charlie was 12kg at 7 months...He's not fat though and he certainly isn't a big eater...heavy boned I think. At 15 weeks he was 8kg...he's a heavy porker.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
I attempted to measure bingley the other day and he was about 36cm and last time he was weighed (about 2 weeks ago) he was 9.4kg. I do worry that he's some sort of giant, but the vet is happy and he's pretty much the same as his brother!

13cm would be a little pocket cocker!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."