Author Topic: Looks like Pippa has damaged her cruciate ligament  (Read 1742 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Looks like Pippa has damaged her cruciate ligament
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks for all the positive stories.  Feeling better about things now.  Pippa is still on the painkillers, but will know how things look when she comes off them on Saturday.

We do have wooden floors and have been talking about getting carpet for a while.  We had a big rug but Barney was badly ill all over it and it went in the bin a few weeks ago.  We have decided to definitely go ahead and carpet all the way through now.

Offline Lily Pup

Re: Looks like Pippa has damaged her cruciate ligament
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
Today I took her for her first off lead walk where she could have her ball, she loves to chase her ball  :D  We were out for an hour and I threw the ball maybe 5 times and she's been fine  :dance04: No limping etc so looks like she's over it.

Be careful with throwing a ball especially until the operated leg is fully built up again (you can measure it and see whether it is the same size as the other one - only then the operated leg is back to full strength). It's not so much an issue for the operated leg as that joint should be strong enough to hold, but the other one that may be taking more of the pressure due to the weaker muscles of the operated leg! That is why 50% of dogs with cruciate injuries end up with the second one damaged/ruptured too! By making sure that the operated leg is back to full strength (which I wouldn't assume it is after just 4 months), that risk can be reduced.

And I have to admit, my lurcher will never be allowed again to chase a ball outside (only inside for very short distances where he can't build up speed) as it is just too high a risk that the other cruciate will snap! Not a risk that I am willing to take. That is however the only restriction I impose on him exercise-wise.

Yeah I am, I only throw it about 6 feet now, or if we're in water, I can't keep her out of the pond especially as it's been so warm so I use it then for her.  We did have one of those plastic ball thrower things but it's been put away probably never to resurface, Kiz just loves her ball though and is quite happy to carry it and occasionally drops it to ask for a throw.

I did have to watch her weight too, the lighter she is the easier she moves.  She did put a bit on during her recovery mainly as she was having more treats to keep her occupied rather than set dinners!   It's all come off again now though and she's much better for it