Author Topic: Gungy Mouth  (Read 2088 times)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »
About a week ago we noticed a very nasty smell coming from indie's mouth. It selt like he'd been eating poo, when we knew that he hadn't been. I looked at his mouth, and the hair below his jowels were covered in a black gunge that was still soft but had solidified somewhat. I tried to pull it out gently, but indie would only let me do a little bit at a time and gets fed up and runs off. I've tried washing his mouth and all sorts but it won't come out and everyday there seemed to be more.

I saw nige giving him gravy bones and thought it may be them causing it, but we've stopped the gravy bones and started giving him somewhite biscuits and it's still happening. Now there is also a creamy coloured gunge on his inner jowels that looks horrible, i've wiped it off but it keeps coming back. Any idea's what it could be or whats causing it?
I'm going to take him to the vet but they aren't open until 5pm today.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »
If the smell/gungy discharge is coming from the folds of skin by the sides of the mouth, this is lip fold dermatitis which is not uncommon in Cockers. There have been quite a few previous threads on the subject - have a look  HERE & also HERE

Jane
Jane

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:03:36 PM »
Thanks Jane :) ,

It looks like this is what it is then. I have some thornits powder already so I will use some of that and try to buy some cider apple vinegar tonight.

He hasn't got any sores yet, do they generally take a little while longer to show up? hopefully using the above mentioneed items will prevent any sores from forming.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 03:23:09 PM »
He hasn't got any sores yet, do they generally take a little while longer to show up? hopefully using the above mentioneed items will prevent any sores from forming.
[snapback]115848[/snapback]

If you nip the problem in the bud & make sure you keep the affected areas clean & dry, you'll hopefully be able to stop the sores developing :)

Jane
Jane

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:25:10 AM »
Good, I hope so. Is it best to put the cider apple vinegar in his water or his food, (as well as directly onto his lipfolds)  as the threads you pointed out, different people said different things, also how often should I use the thornits on his lipfolds?

Thanks
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline PennyB

Gungy Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:22:16 AM »
Wouldn't it be too acidic to put apple cider vinegar (has to be be raw unpasteurized to be useful) directly on to lip folds. Probably better to put ACV in food/water whichever is best for your dog and use something like hibiscrub or colloidal silver to wipe the folds.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline mick

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 12:44:35 PM »
HI amanda,

I would agree with PennyB I think vinegar is to acidic also.

We had forked out over the years a small fortune at the vets with different remodies and none of them worked.

One message on this board and we had loads of replies telling us to use hibiscrub on his lip folds. we bought some the next day and started to treat him and it took us just over a week using hibiscrub on our Jess and his jowels had all cleared up.

It was that fast in our case and his was pretty bad.

Now we use at the first sign of the problem coming back and catch it in the bud.

Hope it works for you.

Mick.

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 01:30:48 PM »
Okay, i'll try some of that then, what is it and where can it be bought from?
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline PennyB

Gungy Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »
Hibiscrub? I got mine from the vets or someone once said they can get it from a pharmacist which is cheaper. I wet the cotton wool 1st with water then pour on a some hibiscrub (advice from my vet nurse)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 04:05:19 PM »
:( Aw poor Indie - hope the hibiscrub does the trick Amanda x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
i've just come back from the vets, I asked for some hibiscrub, he took a look at Indie and said, that won't help and gave me some fuciderm instead. Has anyone used this before?
The vet said that the dermatitis was a really bad case (he hasn't got any sores and doesn't seem to be in any pain) and suggested the op. I said i'd try this and cider apple vinegar first. If this doesn't work, i'll go to the animal pharmacy.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 06:07:07 PM »
also, indie has been trying to eat the HIBISCUS in the garden, will that help instead of hibiscrub??  :P  :lol:  :P
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »
Cleo had the op, she used to get lipfold dermatitis on and off. She's never had it since her operation.
You could try clipping the fur really short in and areond the lip folds. This will help it to dry out and make it easier to keep clean and dry.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
Hibiscrub? I got mine from the vets or someone once said they can get it from a pharmacist which is cheaper. I wet the cotton wool 1st with water then pour on a some hibiscrub (advice from my vet nurse)
[snapback]116111[/snapback]
It is cheaper from the chemist, a couple of pounds for a big bottle.
Make sure you rinse the fold well after you wash it.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Gungy Mouth
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 09:16:51 PM »
gave me some fuciderm instead. Has anyone used this before?

I have, when my first cocker Bitch had lipfold dermatitis.
It is, I think, an antibiotic ointment & is very good, however not for long-term use.
I would use it until it clears the problem, then try the suggestions mentioned & maybe save some ointment, in case it is needed in the future  :)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.