Author Topic: Food for bulking up  (Read 896 times)

Offline Willowmebob

Food for bulking up
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
Hi all,  I'm looking for some type of food for my Cocker Puppy which could bulk her up a bit.  She eats like a horse, but then burns it off by charging round the garden all day.

At the moment I've got her on Royal Canin along with some chunks of fresh meat lightly cooked, and she gets this in 4 meals a day.  She loves her meals, so something that I could add to it, or maybe change one of her meals to something else.

Any advice gratefully received.

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: Food for bulking up
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
i would check her weight with the  vet first. if she is underweight they can suggest why and  what to do, it sounds like she is eating quite a lot and you don't want to give her a weight problem, but on the other hand i can  quite understand your concern, i would get her checked.

Offline Mum2Riley

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
I have had the same problem with Riley, now 15 months.  He's a really active dog that just doesn't sit still and follows me round all day, then runs like a loon when we're out.  I think he burns off every single calorie and more than I manage to get in him.  We add scrambled egg or cooked chicken to some of his meals, and natural full fat yogurt (sheep milk) as he's prone to colitis and this keeps his tum happy it seems.  I wouldn't worry too much, if she's energetic then usually that's a sign of good health. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
they have growth spurts - please don't worry too much.  They will eventually muscle up  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Raw tripe but as others have said being skinny is not unusual for active pups and over feeding can cause lots of runny poo's but no weight gain
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly