Author Topic: Refusing Kibble  (Read 2424 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Refusing Kibble
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
Tilly my now 10 month old cocker puppy was on Millies Riverside until end of February when she decided we were trying to poisen her :luv: on starting a new bag Tilly went to eat her food as normal smelt it picked a piece up & spat it out, I had the food sent for testing but apparently was ok.
 I changed her to Akela & fine eating it really well I thought I would try her again on Millies a different mix & blow me exactly the same picked it up spat it out I now have tried 4 different types of Millies always the same reaction.

The other day I dropped the container of Millies it went all over the floor all the dogs came charging in woofing the food up including Tilly she took a mouthful & spat it out she wont even steel the stuff !

So put her onto non Millies food & she is fine.
 Now the only thing I have noticed on Millies ingredients is they use a lot of herbs & botancials where as the other foods they are of low % so could it be the herbs ? there is a strong smell to their food they assure me nothing has changed but to Tilly something has .

I have 4 cockers & ideally would like to feed the same one of the older cockers also refused it changed her to Akela fine now re tried her on Millies & she is eating it

So I am curious over Tilly as to why she refuses just Millies
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Refusing Kibble
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Funnily enough none of mine are particularly keen on strong 'herby' smelling food. (except possibly Branston who used to eat so fast I don't think he would have noticed the smell  Minstrel certainly will turn his nose up and walk away.

I realise that some herbs and botanicals may be good for our dogs, but it makes me wonder why some manufacturers include so many of them in the recipes, to the point that the food smells only of herbs.....
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »
So pleased I am not the only one thats has or had this problem

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
My dog Marley occasionally leaves his kibble. I know he likes it because he eats it. What I do is give him 15 minutes if he hasn't eaten it I take it away and he gets nothing till his next meal. He will generally eat it as normal the next day. He's actually not eaten his breakfast this morning so I'm going to take it away and try again at tea time. He won't starve himself he will eat it eventually. I sometimes will mix his kibble with a tin of sardines this always does the trick however I won't do this for every meal just as a treat.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
Tilly never leaves her food this seemed to come about on a new bag of food in February same brand as normal 3 of my dogs refused it one was poorly so I reported it to manufacturer they tested said was fine.

I then changed all of them to another brand & they were fine but decided to retry my orignal brand & Tilly refused it spat it out 😂 tried 4 different varieties same reaction I even accidently dropped a box of the food on the floor all 4 dogs came rushing in woofing it down Tilly took a mouthful & spat it out she wont even steal the food 😋

So I am of the view that there is something smell or taste wise she does not like this brand use lots of herbs & botanicals so I am wondering if thats what the problem is, Tilly will get on with other brands no problem I can switch her & never a problem & she never leaves any.

So was just curious why just this brand not too worried as she has been changed to a different brand