Author Topic: barf debate  (Read 29727 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: barf debate
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2006, 01:24:43 PM »

If you don' twant to hear the debate about infection - stop posting about it. You are prolongong it not me because you refuse to accept my point of view.

But that's just it kb!

If people won't "accept" your point of view (by that I can only assume you mean "agree") why do you keep posting.

I feel a bit bullied to be honest. I refuse to feel that way, so I will not be reading any more of this farcical debate.

Perhaps it is time this thread was locked, as I don't see any possibility of any good coming from it!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2006, 01:25:37 PM »
Do you know what  - I give up!

Oh good, I am glad
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2006, 01:26:13 PM »
Why have all those who are pro-barf entered the debate when they are so inflexible ............I don't see why I am the one who is being criticised!

I'm pro-BARF, and far from being inflexible, I have acknowledged (several times) that I understand why you may feel the way you do, and even accepted that you may consider me an irresponsible parent for putting my daughter at a risk you consider unacceptable.
I have also asked how you manage the risk to your family outside the home........ :huh:

You have criticised me, by saying that BARF feeding is irresponsible........so contrary to your post,  you are not the only one who has been criticised  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
Thanks for all the really helpful advice. Even if I had been looking for evidence to change my mind, I certainly owuld not have got it. I have asked for advice and asked questions - give me the advice and I will consider it. Give me real arguments as to why this is good for my dog - no one has done that. The infection risk is incidentally not my only objection. What I had really hoped for was that someone would come along and tell me why this is such a good way of feeding instead of launching into personal criticism. Blame me if you like - but I hope that if anyone read back through this thread, they will pinpoint exactly when and where this thread turned nasty and it certainly was not me!

But there you go - people who are not always confident of their own beliefs ofetn use insult rather than constructive argument.

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »
Rachel - I don't want to not feed carbohydrate just the right type. I have read that rice and pasta are not suitable for dogs as they predispose to diabetes. Lisa suggested potato and porridge oats - I want to know what to do with them - -how to feed them?

I feel barf feeding is irrsponsible - I am not saying you are irresponsible - you prsumably have the same evidence as me and have made your decision it differs from mine - so be it. I have said this all along

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:14 PM »
Actually several people have told you why they feel feeding Barf is beneficial to their dogs in this thread.

The infection risk would appear to be your only objection as it is the only one you have mentioned. ( And incidently I'm still waiting for facts on what % of people are infected by their dogs - Barf fed or not!)

And as for Rachel being able to supervise her daughter around Molo's food bowl - it takes my dogs about 3 minutes at the most to eat their food. I don't find it any great hardship to stand and watch them whilst they eat so I can take their dishes up straight away! I think it is irresponsible to leave a child and a feeding dog alone together anyway!

And no I don't feed Barf! Just willing to look at both sides of the 'debate'.

Penel

« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »

I have not examined the pooh of many wolves but have read about those who do research with wild wolves who describe this - I will try to find the link! Are you debating this Penel - are even the experts wrong?

I think a wolf's mouth is different from that of the domestic dog. I will try and find the link.

I haven't examined any wild wolf poo either - I was merely telling you that when my dogs eat a freshly killed rabbit, their poo does not have fur in it the next day...

Looking forward to the link about how a wolf's mouth is different to a domestic dog's.

And by the way it's E.coli not e-coli...

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2006, 01:48:06 PM »
Now you are questioning my ability as a mother as well - it gets better!

I cannot give you statistics on actual infection rates as they probably do not exist! Most food poisoning goes unreported as people put it down to "a tummy bug". I said many posts ago that I thought this was getting silly and the only reason I continued to post about it is because people keep criticising me. Generally ny children are not left with my dog when feeding, they do not handle her bowl and I cannot predict when they might. Ipresume you leave a constant supply of fresh water for your dog.

My other objections to Barf have already been touched upon. Domestic dogs are quite different from wild dogs. Research has shown that wild dogs do not have particularly good diets and are often malnourished and there fore I do not feel it is the best model for dog nutrtion to be based upon. Th infection thing is only a small part of the debate which has probably been blown out of proportion!

Again this is only my opinion and if it suits you then fine. I have also stated that i have found no clinical evidence either for or against the diet, it is my opinion from what i have read.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »

Blimey - you guys !  :lol:

Time to lock this one I think.