Author Topic: barf debate  (Read 29721 times)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Re: barf debate
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 07:52:45 PM »
When I first heard about BARF feeding I thought thy were all a bunch of nutters  ;) Now - I still think it - its just I joined in!!!  :005: :005: :005:

No - seriously - what ever diet you feed has to be right for the dog and for you - and until you have the time and confidence - you'll never feel happy about it.

Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 07:53:31 PM »
I'm a raw feeder, by Daisy's choice not mine!  She has some psychological block to biscuit!  I think she may have been fed kibble in her previous home and she was definitley fed it at the rescue centre and she refuses point blank to eat it.  I know the theory of let her get hungry enough and she'll eat anything but tbh if she has that much of a 'thing' about it I am not going to force her.

So I started feeding Daisy raw about a month after she joined us (18 months ago).  I truly believe that is why she is so fit and healthy.  I'm not going to preach - as Lisa says we all do what we believe to be best for our dogs - but I really like it as a way of feeding and tbh I find it easy, I dont stress about it like I used to, but I am still learning and asking questions, because even amongst BARFers there are variations and differing opinions.

For me and my dogs its great and I will always feed this way, but for others it doesnt suit.  If we were all the same it would be sooooo boring!! ;)

ooooh princess daisy - you fussy cow :luv: :luv: :luv:

i struggle with jarv and food - i have never met a dog until now who is disinterested in eating....

i am trying to make him more barf inclined as i actually prefer this style of feeding (personal choice innit!?)

...at the moment i feed him burns mixed with naturediet or natures menu -

i have tried chicken wings and sometimes he likes 'em, sometimes he doesn't. same with lamb breast ( :o ::) :o) and pork bones...he will eat carrots and bits of other raw food (eggs as we all know!) ....which i try and add to his diet

today i bought hims some forthglade freeflow 'barfer' mince - lamb with veg...HURRAH!!! he likes it... so i'm going to try him on the mince a bit more

so really, i'm a combo-feeder.... ph34r

(ooh...and kb...i'm so pleased to read that you and honey are doing so well ;))
helen & jarvis x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 08:05:40 PM »

i struggle with jarv and food - i have never met a dog until now who is disinterested he will eat carrots and bits of other raw food (eggs as we all know!) ....which i try and add to his diet

Your post made me think actually (now theres a first :lol:)  I do combo feed to a point, but I draw a complete line at chicken wings and raw meat of any kind ;)  Indie gets fed on Arden Grange she was an utterly fussy madam untill I found AG which I now swear by :D  But, I also give her raw vegetables, as she loves them and can't resist them :005:  She has a lovely silky glossy coat, is very healthy, has no tummy troubles with either squits or constipation so this method is definatly working for her, I would never change anything unless it was broken as it has taken me 2.5 years to get her to eat food, its suits us and her fine.  Don't get me wrong I didn't want to come across as knocking people who Barf/raw, its personal choice :D  But noone will ever convince me its the way to go with Indie ;)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »

Your post made me think actually (now theres a first :lol:

:rofl1: :rofl1: you crack me up  ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 08:26:30 PM »
Silkstocking - Is it Lisa?

I hope I am not prying, but did I read somewhere that you are pregnant? -hope that is not being cheeky! Are there any special precautions you need to take feeding Barf while pregnant? or with young children?

I do not feed raw and do not see myself ever doing it, but am genuinely interested in the debate. I know we clashed in a previous thread, but I was very uptight then about Honey's behaviour - I am sorry about that. I am much morereassured now and things have settled a lot. I too hope to learn from this debate and would like it to be as friendly as possible. I hope I have not opened a can of worms!

I am pregnant yes  ;) but no I dont take any special precautions to feed BARF now that I'm pregnant! Apart from my OH is feeding the dogs a bit more but thats more becuse I am knackered!!!!!! :005:

My dogs eat their raw bones in the kitchen or the garden, I clean the kitchen floor every day anyway so that clears up any raw food matter!!!! And the mince and stuff is so easy the dogs wolf it down and I clear the bowls.

I learnt about BARF from my dogs breeders, who I trust implicitly about all things doggie!! I have to say the vet talked me in to trying Milo on some dried food because my boy doesnt keep much weight on, and I honestly noticed a huge difference in his coat, a lot less shine and in the stinks coming from his bottom!!! :005: Nor did he put any weight on so I went back o BARF and Milo is much happier that way he didnt get the dry thing at al he didnt like eating dry foodl!! But it is something he has never had, for my two it would have meant a big change in diet for me to have fed them anything different as they were weaned on BARF.

When I first joined COL I started a BARF thread and I cringed badly that I had! I hadnt realised it was such an immotive debate!! Thats why I mentioned keeping the thread friendly! No other reason  :D I'd forgotten all about the Honey thread  ;) but I'm pleased things have settled for you  :D

There is huge debate amongst people with regard to BARF, all I can say again is, it works for us, we don't find it hard work or that it takes extra time. I have friends who have swapped to BARF because they have felt after seeing the way my two are fed that they would like to try it and their dogs have thrived on it.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »
Seeing firsthand the dogs and getting advice from a very experienced/educated dog person (who never pressured me) was why I changed Bailey over to raw feeding in the first place.  I feed something similiar to Petra (i.e., commercially minced raw meat and ground bone w/ supplements + ground veggie mix) so it's not that time consuming, although more expensive than preparing it yourself.  Bailey also gets a recreational bones on ocassion.  He's doing well health-wise and I think seeing him enjoy his food so much was one of the reasons I stayed with this...from a dog that used to turn his nose up at his Eukanuba kibble (what the breeder fed him) or even with high-quality complete foods.  I think feeding well-prepared home-cooked foods or a high-quality complete food is compareable too. 
Bailey and Mom

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 11:00:04 PM »
I feed raw too, but it's not BARF.
I decided to change when I got Penny and have been very happy with the results and as you know I am weaning a litter of pups onto raw.
I don't feed mince, (except at present I give a bit to my pups), I only buy meat which is fit for human consumption and cut it into chunks. If it's not raw, then I don't give it anymore.
I have got a routine and I don't find I put myself out to feed this way and all in all it probably costs the same amount as a prescription diet.
Penny is the only dog I have ever had that truly loves her food, well and the pups, they actually cry for their tea when I am preparing it and as soon as they get in their dish it's gone!
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 11:11:10 PM »
I have 3 dogs, Mikey does very well on raw, Herbie can eat absolutely anything dry, wet, raw and it doesn't really make much difference and Ronald after having tried him a few times on raw is back onto dry food - he loves raw food but raw food does not love him :D.

I now feed Mikey and Herbie on raw, I am pregnant too and have 2 children.  I don't take any special measures as you have to be extra careful with raw food anyway.  Ronald is on dry.

I wanted to give raw a try and like feeding it and my dogs enjoy it but if it didn't suit them like it doesn't suit Ronald I would have gone straight back onto dry.  I might be strange but I actually enjoy buying the meat at the butchers and cutting it up and bagging it for my dogs meals :005:.

I s'pose it's personal preference for doggie and owner ;)
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »
Do you feed carbohydrate and is in what form. I sometimes give Honey home cooked food - although have been told to avoid too much chicken because of the very high protein content. I also fed her rice, pasta and potatoes for carbohydrate - as well as veg in her diet too. But when I was reading around I read that rice (neither white or wholemeal)and pasta were not  suitable because of the link to diabetes in dogs. Rolled Oats and maize and so on were recommended instead. When they say rolled oats do they mean the same as you make porridge with?

She loves home cooked food and itis a pleasure to make it for her - but raw meat worries me. But I would like to know I am feeding her the right balance when I cook.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »
Do you feed carbohydrate and is in what form. I sometimes give Honey home cooked food - although have been told to avoid too much chicken because of the very high protein content. I also fed her rice, pasta and potatoes for carbohydrate - as well as veg in her diet too. But when I was reading around I read that rice (neither white or wholemeal)and pasta were not  suitable because of the link to diabetes in dogs. Rolled Oats and maize and so on were recommended instead. When they say rolled oats do they mean the same as you make porridge with?

She loves home cooked food and itis a pleasure to make it for her - but raw meat worries me. But I would like to know I am feeding her the right balance when I cook.

Pototoes and porridge, yum yum yum!! milos favourites!!!

From what I have read the jury is out about pasta and rice, but then the jury is out about soooo many things! ;) You have to make your on judgements.

I have no worries with raw, none what so eve, I honestly mean that. But I have so much contact with so many dogs who are fed a raw diet and I can honestly say they thrive and have few health problems, and non relating to diet. My friend has 12 cockers all fed a raw diet, the oldest cocker is 17!! Its suited him no problmeo!!! But I understand why people may worry, if I did not have it infront of me on a daily basis then it might concern me, buit honestly it doesnt.

I've said it before, and I dont wish to sound like a broken record, but we feed what we feed because we feel it is right for our dogs, would it have been right for me to change the diets of two pups who had been weaned onto BARF, I dont think so............

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
I think I worry about the kids too. I have a 7 year old and a three year old, who obviously share the same play places as Honey (she toilets in the garden also - not the kids) and i feel if there is any risk to them (especially with things like toxoplasmosis) I owe them to be cautiousl. I have a cat and have always been a bit paranoid about toxoplasmosis - but her toileting and eating habits are much more civilised than Honeys (and her bum isn't as hairy :005:). She is not a hunter so we have no worries there (the cat that is) - but I wouldn't think of giving her raw either. I do want to make sure I do my best for them though.

I think you are right - it is important not to mess with puppy diets once weaning is established - unless it is necessary. So , I guess you were right here. I bet everyone may not have stuck by that like you did, don't you think? I am sure we are all trying to do our best - it can be very confusing, can't it.

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »
On an interesting note - and I'm not sure whats causing it, it may or may not be her diet  ;) - Daisy seems to be immune to ticks this year (touch wood  ;) ).

By that I mean that they still attach themselves to her but they die very soon after locking on.  She hasn't had Frontline, or any other flea or tick treatment, since I cant remember when (probably 8 -12 months ago) but I do put garlic in her liver cake and she occassionaly has garlic and fenugreek tablets - when I remember to give them.

Just something I thought I'd share because I do think its her diet but others may not  ;)

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »
I read somewhere that garlic is toxic to dogs - but someone else said it is fine on small amounts. So much conflicting advice - do you know? Incidentally I saw frontline advertised for the first time on TV tonight - you can now get it without prescription and it is much cheaper. Chemical flea repellants do worry me a bit.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 08:31:16 PM »
I think I worry about the kids too. I have a 7 year old and a three year old, who obviously share the same play places as Honey (she toilets in the garden also - not the kids) and i feel if there is any risk to them (especially with things like toxoplasmosis) I owe them to be cautiousl. I have a cat and have always been a bit paranoid about toxoplasmosis - but her toileting and eating habits are much more civilised than Honeys (and her bum isn't as hairy :005:). She is not a hunter so we have no worries there (the cat that is) - but I wouldn't think of giving her raw either. I do want to make sure I do my best for them though.

I think you are right - it is important not to mess with puppy diets once weaning is established - unless it is necessary. So , I guess you were right here. I bet everyone may not have stuck by that like you did, don't you think? I am sure we are all trying to do our best - it can be very confusing, can't it.

Well I know one of Milos litter mates "parents" didnt! And then they complained about the size of his poos and him having smelly breathe and that his coat wasnt as shiney as Milos!! ::)  ::) My friend swapped from what her breeder had put her pup on because it was affecting her, she swapped to BARF and it suits my friends dog far more than what she was weaned on...so I guess its swings and roundabouts with the weaning!!!!?!??!?!

I'm not really sure I understand where you are coming from about the poo  ph34r sorry!!! Isnt all poo, poo at the end of the day! If its not cleared up its pretty nasty!! I have discussed this with my midwife and she said that the dogs poo is of no worry to me at all, even with what they are fed......its cats that are the problem!! Just as well I dont have a cat then!!! :005:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
I read somewhere that garlic is toxic to dogs - but someone else said it is fine on small amounts. So much conflicting advice - do you know? Incidentally I saw frontline advertised for the first time on TV tonight - you can now get it without prescription and it is much cheaper. Chemical flea repellants do worry me a bit.

Garlic is fine in small amounts ;) and is known to be a natural flea/tick repellant. I'll find you a link ;)