Author Topic: barf debate  (Read 30148 times)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Re: barf debate
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »
I feel feeding a dog a raw diet is irresponsible

So why start a 'debate' when you already think you know the answers?  This was never an attempt to 'understand' merely an opportunity to impart your 'facts'

I refuse to carry on with this any longer - you have made up your mind I suggest we all simply agree to differ and hope that a mod closes the thread
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
That is okay. If not wanting to deliberately feed your dog something which is contaminated with something which could potentially seriously harm your dog or family is being paranoid, obtuse, irrational - so be it. Go read the evidence or talk to some of the people who have been affected by this and ask them. there is an increase in people regretting feeding their dogs raw because of this. Like the rest of you I worm and flea treat my dog to reduce risk - not feeding raw is another reasonable precaution. Accept itor not, but do not criticise me. I don't eat raw - I woudn't feed anybody else raw food. It is not pie in the sky nonsense - it is reality!

Yes there are risks in life - your husband did not deliberately look to be bitten by a staffie did he?

Rachel I would have thought you would have known that the risk of you catching shingles froma child with chicken pox and therefore passing it on to your daughter is practically non-existant. Shingles normally results from the virus lying dormant in the immune system ater having previously been infected by chickenpox - it is reactivated when the immune system is under pressure - at times of other illness or stress. It is very rare indeed to catch shingles from chicken pox and vice verse. Unfortunately transmission of pathogens causing food poisoning is much easier.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »
I feel feeding a dog a raw diet is irresponsible

So why start a 'debate' when you already think you know the answers?  This was never an attempt to 'understand' merely an opportunity to impart your 'facts'

I refuse to carry on with this any longer - you have made up your mind I suggest we all simply agree to differ and hope that a mod closes the thread

Well said, Sarah.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2006, 12:57:35 PM »
Well before they do that - kb I have 4 children and would happily let all of them handle raw meat. They have always enjoyed helping me cook and as long as they wash their hands before and after I can't see that it will do them any harm!

Edited to say: I know that the chicken pox virus lies dormant in your body, but have always believed that it could develop into shingles if you came into contact with someone who has chicken pox. I think Rachel was just using this as an example of things to worry about (like being hit by a bus). OK. The risk from this may be practically non existant, but what we all want to know is what are the actual chances of catching one of the things you have mentioned from a dog fed raw meat? 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
When my dog eats and empties her dish my child could easily go over and handle taht dish,

:o :o :o

I consider this irresponsible - if a child is not supervised to ensure that they leave a dogs dish alone (whether empty or full), then they are at far greater risk of more than just contamination from food (raw or cooked)  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »
talk to some of the people who have been affected by this and ask them. there is an increase in people regretting feeding their dogs raw because of this.

Where are all these people who have been infected through feeding their dogs raw meat? None of them seem to be on here and there don't seem to be any on the Yahoo britbarf email list either. This isn't getting anywhere anymore, you've made up your mind so don't start accusing raw feeders of being irresponsible.  ::)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »
You see you just don't get it - I am not paranoid. It is a reasonable and very sensible argument. The fact that no one else wants to take it seriously is th eproblem. You see why can anybody understand that feeding raw meat increases the risk - end of story.

But I think there must be a degree of paranoia here, Hon. This "debate" has gone on for days now, we are on page  8.(And 5 new posts added as I typed!!!)  An honest "debate" would lead you to just state your case and see how everyone else feels by their responses. No-one needs to "batter" us with endless facts!

I am beginning to lose the will to live to be honest. ;)

What I make of this is that kb doesn't agree with BARF. Some other COLers agree with her to a point, but don't necessarily feel as passionate about it. Some other COLers feel very passionately abot BARF.

I don't see that anyone is going to succeed in battering any other into changing their views. Those of us who are still a bit undecided, well, we will decide one way or another, but I don't think it will be because we have heard of the infection risk 100 times (believe me, I'm intelligent enough to "get it" after reading it just the once!).

BTW one advantage of dry kibble that I can see is that if we go out for a long day, I can just take the bag of kibble for Buddy's feed in my bag. Whereas if I feed BARF I would have to take ice packs too. Not a big deal, but it crossed my mind on our walk this morning. Also, Ben can feed Buddy sometimes without us having to be around (if we are ever lucky enough to get a lie in!). BUT he (Buddy) stinks, so I am thinking of doing partial BARF with a view to progressing if/when I get the hang of it.

I'm done with this "debate" now.

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2006, 01:07:17 PM »
i may be really wrong but doesnt being exposed to tiny tiny amount of bacteria actually make your immune system better?, i don't think feeding raw food makes us irresposilble at all, my kids could chatch bugs from anywhere, mainly school but i doesnt stop me sending them there.

added: not saying my house is dirty!!

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »
Claire you are so smug aren't you? I would bet that you think that e-coli which is found in faeces is also eradictaed fater you use the toilet- but the most fundamental studies would show that no matter how well you wash your hands after using the toilet, e-coli will be found on your sleeves the taps and so on , and so on.

I have wasted so much time in this debate, because I am intelligent person who likes to know both sides of the argument. I am explaining my opinions and not being personal or offensive to anyone. I have asked for advice on how to establish a more suitable diet without feeding raw meat - but you have all chosen to criticise me instead. You are all being extremely personal and opinionated
and no one has even attempted to tell me why this is a good diet.

Can I not be interested in your opinion whilst expressing my own. Can you not accept another view point without feeling threatened by it. Why have all those who are pro-barf entered the debate when they are so inflexible also. This thread started quite friendly - I would like to know how to feed veg and carbs to my dog and what way to give them. I would just rather cook my meat. The only reason this debate is going on is because none of you will accept my reasons for doing this and move on and offer some advice. I am merely responding to the personal criticisms being made- woudn't you? But I knew this would haooen anyway. Those who were probarf and reasonable have not entered this slanging match - perhaps they acne answer my questions about improving my dog's diet.

It seems unfortunate that people who fundamentally agree on the problems with commercial feeding cannot accomodate each others beliefs to help each other. I don't see why I am the one who is being criticised!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »
Claire you are so smug aren't you?

How is being willing to risk feeding my dog raw meat smug, exactly?

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this now, it's getting petty and insulting.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2006, 01:13:29 PM »
Claire you are so smug aren't you?

.........................................and not being personal or offensive to anyone.

What contradictions in one post.

Honestly, I don't see any evidence that you are ASKING for information and actually want to receive/accept it.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
Incidentally, kb, the title of this thread is "barf debate" - if you didn't want that and actually wanted to know about feeding your dog a home-cooked diet (which I can see nothing wrong with whatsoever), why not call it "home-cooked diet" instead?

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »
Do you know what  - I give up!

I am obviously the bad guy here.

Rachel, you are very lucky if you can supervise your child long enough to ensure he or she never touches a feeding bowl - I wish my children were so well behaved!

If you don' twant to hear the debate about infection - stop posting about it. You are prolongong it not me because you refuse to accept my point of view. Believe me there those out there if you look for them who have been affected, there are those who have not. Barf websites tend not to tell the bad stories.

There are plenty who do not feed barf who feel strongly and have tried to debate in the past - but they are always shot down and humiliated.

I was just wondering Rachel - I could have sworn I saw a thread where you were anti-barf sometime ago. I may be wrong excuse me if I am. If i am not what changed your mind

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
you called it a ' debate' but just used it as an opprtunity to tell all the raw feeders how irresponsible we are...  >:(

if you really are that worried about catching a bug from raw meat then barf is not for you and is never going to be.

you called it BARF Debate and thats what you got.

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »
Claire you are so smug aren't you? .

I am ......not being personal or offensive to anyone.

Strikes me thats exactly what you're doing
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me