Author Topic: Amount/number of poos your dog produces!!  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Amount/number of poos your dog produces!!
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
It is showing that Burns looks like it produces good, formed and smaller poos :005:

Just be careful though. Some dogs do great on Burns, but others have found that with Burns it's hard to keep weight on their dogs. I've also heard of some dogs on Burns getting "hot spots".

Indie's on Burns and hers are always small and firm.   She does well on this now she's an adult as it keeps her weight at 10kg as she is spayed so prone to put weight on.     She was fed this as a puppy/adolescent before she was spayed and lost weight when she was supposed to gain so I'd only ever use Burns as weight management, I wouldn't feed Quinn on it though.

When Indie's Burns is all gone, she is moving onto Barking Heads as well but will put her on the Fat Dog/Slim Dog one to keep her weight the same. 

Quinn's poos are firm but not as firm as Indie's - he used to have horrendous ones on his old food.      He produces a lot more poo than Indie though but then again he eats twice as much.   

What a lovely subject  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
Thanks for all your replies, it has been very helpful. 

Mooching - thanks for info, I have been reading old threads on Burns and it does seem that some dogs are losing weight with Burns and some have skin problems.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
Lesley - if Odie is otherwise healthy, leave him be......there will always be some dogs that poop more than others...just like us hoomans....... :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
TBH BR&Y he is going off his current food, I'm struggling to get it down him.  I may try another version of CSJ though and see how it goes :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

• Inactive
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
TBH BR&Y he is going off his current food, I'm struggling to get it down him.  I may try another version of CSJ though and see how it goes :D

O I see......yes our lot won't just eat their CSJ alone - I've always mixed stuff in with it..

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
. I've also heard of some dogs on Burns getting "hot spots".

What is a Hot Spot please?
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »

it's a form of a dermatitis - sometimes also it is determined to be wet eczema - it's a wound that is oozing with liquid and they are a devil to clear up!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »

Hot spots are patches of localised 'wet' dermatitis/wet eczema on the skin generally caused by an allergic reaction. They can vary in size from a 5 or 10p piece to quite a large patch. The skin thickens a bit and they are usually very red, itchy, weepy and quite painful for the dog, Rodaidh used to get them between his toes due to an allergy to harvest mites, they'd come up out of nowhere and he'd bite and chew at them until they became infected and painful. Thankfully he hasn't had one for a long time now as they were often hard to get rid of too.

More information here http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hotspots.html  and http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/hotspots.htm '
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
Thanks Nicola  ;)

I havn't heard/read of any dogs on Burns getting hotspots  :dunno: but then again all dogs are different and some more allergic than others,i think it maybe the beet pulp content that some sensitive dogs can't cope with.

FWIW, Ruby has been fed Burns as a pup and thrives on it,but i digress..........................
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »
Thanks Nicola  ;)

I havn't heard/read of any dogs on Burns getting hotspots  :dunno: but then again all dogs are different and some more allergic than others,i think it maybe the beet pulp content that some sensitive dogs can't cope with.

FWIW, Ruby has been fed Burns as a pup and thrives on it,but i digress..........................

I don't think Burns has beet pulp in it? Or at least the flavours I use don't :D. Brodie is the same as Ruby and does very well on it :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
Nell (Lab) is fed on Burns and a third of natures menu or nature diet and veg, she has one poo a day and occasionally two, small and very easy to pick up.

It is showing that Burns looks like it produces good, formed and smaller poos :005:
Not with every dog.  We went through endless vet visits with Millie trying to find the cause of her large, liquid brown puddles (sorry to be so graphic).  It was so bad that the vet was convinced she had colitis and she had far too many doses of antibiotics.  The day we stopped feeding her Burns, she improved.  Within three days of feeding her Naturediet, she was totally back to normal.  I know dogs vary hugely in their reaction to certain dog foods but I will never risk it again.

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Freddie is fed Natural Instinct chicken variety. Tried 2 kibbles before that - Wainwrights and B Heads. He just couldn't tolerate it - cow pats were produced with blood and mucous. The raw diet has been the making of him. He poos 2-3 times a day and they are usually easy to pick up unless he has snaffled something he shouldn't on a walk. I think it must be something in the processing of kibble that didn't agree with him. Heaven knows how they make the ingredients stated on the packet look and smell like they do! Natural Instinct works out at £1.60 ish per day and we bought a small freezer for the garage to keep it in. I don't think I will ever go back to kibble even though it is more convenient. I wouldn't feed my children on highly processed food all the time. I do understand others' reasons for feeding kibble, this is just my opinion. ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
Nell (Lab) is fed on Burns and a third of natures menu or nature diet and veg, she has one poo a day and occasionally two, small and very easy to pick up.

Does depend on the dog really.  Misha was on Burns puppy and really struggled to put on weight, at one time she was on double the recommended daily amount - however poos were fine (Misha never has a problem in that department  ;) ).  When Roly arrived I also put him on Burns, but he was always quite loose and it was the main problem for him waking me up in the middle of the night needing the loo.  Soon as I switched to JWB puppy he was fine and after that onto AG Lamb & Rice, even better.  Roly has a more sensitive stomach and I've always had to watch what treats he has.  Now that they're all on a part Barf diet poos have never been better, and Roly seems more tolerant of different foods/treat.  In the past he could never have had hide chews and the like, but now seems to be fine with them.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
Keli was a Burns boy. He maintained a steady weight, though got the middle age spread after the chop at 10. TBH I struggled to keep him happy on Burns, though he prefered the venison flavour best.

Tali's on BARF, NI, with added assorted offal, veg, etc and on rare occasions he has cooked meat.

The poos are less smelly, smaller, firmer, and he doesn't go as often. Keli could go up to 6 times a day. Tali does 2, though sometimes it's nearly 48 hrs inbetween. However, he always musters up extra 'punishment for leaving me' poos, even if he's recently been.  :005:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!