Author Topic: feeding iams dog food  (Read 822 times)

Offline raauty4

feeding iams dog food
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
I've heard a lot of people saying bad things about Iams dog food... Can anyone please give me more advice in depth? My dog is currently eating Iams, and I plan on switching it very soon just from all the people i've seen saying to not feed it to their dogs... can someone tell me why is it so bad.

my dog doesnt seemed interested in eating iam dried food

Offline penfold

Re: feeding iams dog food
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
Iams isn't too bad a food, it is just expensive for what it is.  It uses beet pulp as a filler and its meat content is not that great and, iirc, it uses meat derivitives (bits and pieces  ;))  For the money you pay you can get better foods e.g skinners, csj or arden grange.  Also, iirc, there are some ethical arguments against the producer P&G.

I've used it/eukanuba for mine and they thrived on it and wolfed it down, however I've since changed  to Arden Grange for the above reasons.

If your dog isn't keen on it then, tbh, there is no reason to keep it on it, just remember and do the change gradually.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
I'am not an expert on iams dog food, but the company that started this food got some really bad press in the 1990's for animal testing their food on dogs  >:D, plus they put (I believe) corn in their food which a lot of dogs can't digest. Sorry I can't help any more but some one will probably be along shortly to help. x x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
My boys were on Eukanuba when they arrived, and it was very expensive then.  However, my main concern is that P+G are responsible for a lot of products being tested on animals and for me, that is not acceptable.  I don't use anything by them, whether it be csometic, household cleaning products etc.

Offline Workingcocker

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
If you type iams undercover into you tube it will show you some horrific film of aims dogs!!!! Not very ethical at all  :'(
/Users/sarah/Desktop/IMG_1839.JPG

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
Been told Skinners uses beat bulp as well as Harringtons and Pedigree chum puppy.

Avoid foods with beat pulp as it can make your loveable cocker into the dog from hell!!

When Millie was on pedigree chum she was completely hyper all of the time the zoomies were level ten and it caused a lot of her aggresion when we switched she went back to normal.

Wainwrites is a good one so many people recomend it.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
Been told Skinners uses beat bulp as well as Harringtons and Pedigree chum puppy.

Avoid foods with beat pulp as it can make your loveable cocker into the dog from hell!!

When Millie was on pedigree chum she was completely hyper all of the time the zoomies were level ten and it caused a lot of her aggresion when we switched she went back to normal.

Wainwrites is a good one so many people recomend it.

I suspect it was the additives in PC that caused the hyperness - Beet pulp has been associated with allergies, but I've not seen any reports of links to behaviour problems.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020