Author Topic: Whiskers.....  (Read 732 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Whiskers.....
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
We noticed yesterday afternoon and evening after his trip to the groomers, that Ozzy seemed to be bumping into things rather a lot.  Noticed a bit later on that she's cut his whiskers off.  I've read a few old threads about whiskers, and wondered if, because of only having one eye, they were more important to him as a sensory thing, especially on the left, which is his blind side.  Any thoughts, anyone?

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
Re: Whiskers.....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
I think your on the right lines, I imagine he probably uses them more on his blind side for distance etc
(Our two pups haven't really got many whiskers left at the moment) hopefully they will grow back quickly, although I'm sure he will probably get use to not having them for a bit.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »
I think your on the right lines, I imagine he probably uses them more on his blind side for distance etc
(Our two pups haven't really got many whiskers left at the moment) hopefully they will grow back quickly, although I'm sure he will probably get use to not having them for a bit.

Hope so - we don't want him knocking himself even more daft than he is now!!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

Hope so - we don't want him knocking himself even more daft than he is now!!

:005: bless him!

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
When I give in and get Henry cut I'm going to ask them to keep his whiskers. They're white on one side (the white-hand side, we call it!) and black on the left side, so look a bit daft anyway, but I still love them. he used to have a few above his nose (we called the noskers!), but they came out :'(

Poor Ozzy - I'm sure it must make a little bit of difference, if this is something he's using to help him judge distances. I had a boyfriend who was blind in one eye and he could still manage distance judgement okay, though, after years of practise (and he didn't have any whiskers!), although he was an angry person! How's Ozzy doing generally with his adjustment? Any major changes to his behaviour?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
When I give in and get Henry cut I'm going to ask them to keep his whiskers. They're white on one side (the white-hand side, we call it!) and black on the left side, so look a bit daft anyway, but I still love them. he used to have a few above his nose (we called the noskers!), but they came out :'(

Poor Ozzy - I'm sure it must make a little bit of difference, if this is something he's using to help him judge distances. I had a boyfriend who was blind in one eye and he could still manage distance judgement okay, though, after years of practise (and he didn't have any whiskers!), although he was an angry person! How's Ozzy doing generally with his adjustment? Any major changes to his behaviour?

Ozzy has adjusted very well,  the only difference we've really noticed is that he bumps into things on the left side a bit - usually because he turns too quickly, and doesn't know how close objects are on his left.  As for behaviour, well, who knows?  He was so little when it happened, we don't know what his behaviour would be like now if it hadn't happened! He can be a  >:D at times, but, apart from the occasional random bouts of aggression towards either Rog or myself, which the vet thinks is his testosterone kicking in, he's just a challenging puppy!  He's definitely the most challenging pup that we've ever had!

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
Poor little thing, bumping into things. We have a sharp-cornered coffee table and I'm amazed Henry hasn't had any accidents as he's always so close to bumping into it (for example, when he's shaking some toy to kill it!).
Are you planning to get him done? I guess this might help with the testosterone?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
Poor little thing, bumping into things. We have a sharp-cornered coffee table and I'm amazed Henry hasn't had any accidents as he's always so close to bumping into it (for example, when he's shaking some toy to kill it!).
Are you planning to get him done? I guess this might help with the testosterone?

Yes, we are planning on getting him done - it's just when is the problem.  The vet says sooner rather than later, because of the aggression issues, and because of the retained testicles and the groomer who is also a breeder still says wait until he's older if possible!  We are waiting till after Christmas anyway, until he has settled down in our new home, before we inflict any more upset on the poor little chap!