Author Topic: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??  (Read 32684 times)

Offline CJ

• Site Member
Re: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Both my girls from well known show lines.  The eldest is a real couch potato and will mooch about on walks not too far from me, in fact I actually had her to the vet when she was about a year old as I thought she may be unwell (previous dogs had been goldies, working collies and latterly a working springer so anything was going to appear quiet :005:) she is as fit as a flea and is just a lazy little moo.  My youngest cocker is exactly the opposite, and I knew this before I got her as their breeder told me that if the pups were like their mum they'd be lively and cheeky little monkeys (he was right!!).

Show types have a lot more coat to contend with, but hopefully you'll know what you are going to get, and health tested if from a reputable breeder.

Best of luck with your choice.

Offline little_jack

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
Jack is a working cocker but is really laid back. He had his moments when he was really little but now as he is getting older he is totally chilled out. Maybe the active, constantly on the go working type instinct comes later but I was really surprised at how calm he is for a working cocker. 

Offline mcphee

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »
Well, I am no expert, but I can say that my Rufus is very active, possibly the fastest dog around, but a nightmare hunter. His Dad belonged to a gamekeeper, and his mother was a working pet. He was my first dog, and has been to training and does agility. He had 3 walks a day until 2 years old, when his mad moments reduced to one a day. I am sure I made lots of mistakes in his training. However, his hunting instinct is so strong, catching his first rabbit at 6 months, that I have to use a retractable lead most of the time if I have time constraints. He holds the endurance record for the local maize field- 90 minutes. So although he is very gentle and loving at home, I would go for sofa strain, not field strain!

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 08:22:42 PM »
Well, I am no expert, but I can say that my Rufus is very active, possibly the fastest dog around, but a nightmare hunter. His Dad belonged to a gamekeeper, and his mother was a working pet. He was my first dog, and has been to training and does agility. He had 3 walks a day until 2 years old, when his mad moments reduced to one a day. I am sure I made lots of mistakes in his training. However, his hunting instinct is so strong, catching his first rabbit at 6 months, that I have to use a retractable lead most of the time if I have time constraints. He holds the endurance record for the local maize field- 90 minutes. So although he is very gentle and loving at home, I would go for sofa strain, not field strain!
Sounds like my working type springer.  I learnt so much from her, she was manic and had to be kept on a flexi lead in the field as I'd no knowledge of needing to teach the steadiness needed in a working dog.  She was such a sweet natured girl at home, but get her out in the field and Whoah!!!  It depends on your circumstances and what you want from your dog.  Re the rabbit at 6 months; PJ caught a partridge whilst on her flexi, it was minding it's own business outside the Forestry Commission Office and wallop she'd got it!!  By the time David and I had quietly and firmly retrieved it fom her jaws it was deceased and we were quite warm.  I don't think the chaps in the office noticed >:D :005:   

Offline mcphee

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »
All these replies are very interesting. I wish I had known about this site 4 years ago! Rufus catches wood pigeons and rabbits on the flexi lead sometimes. He also catches mice in the gardens and rarely, squirrels. We flushed 5 pheasants today.  I cannot do much about field training as he barks with manic excitement to tell me of everything he has found. His girl friend, Bonnie, sold as working, won't even go through brambles or nettles, whereas Rufus doesn't even notice if there is a rabbit in the middle. If you want an active pet and have lots of time for training, go for the working! I am told that solid colour are more wilful, and boys more difficult, but I love my black Rufus to pieces. He would never win anything, especially agility if a pigeon lands in the ring, but he gives me great pleasure.

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
We didn't know about this site until weeks after we had Hattie and it seems like there's yet another thing that we did wrong as she's half show half worker - BUT - it also seems like we've been lucky in terms of all the things that could've gone wrong! In terms of temperament, Hattie will run or walk for hours and I think that she will love agility when she's old enough but she's becoming more and more chilled as she gets older (she's just over 5 months old now) and she's sleeping on my lap as I type (one handed as her head and back feet are in my other hand!) She's also extremely beautiful and very friendly!

Offline ct1983

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
I have to say a lot of these answer make me very angry why are you all so elitist? If some breeds and things weren't mixed you would wipe out the breed as they would end up so inbred they would have a lot of problems. working and show type is the same - where do you think they came from anyway - arent they the same breed. yes they have different priorites and look a little different but thats just the genetics of the breeding - every cocker is different in there own special way so whats your problem?????!!!???

I have 2 mixes and I wouldnt change them for the world and i would breed from them too. the point is you get a cocker spaniel whatever - yes some are more energetic - some look prettier - some are lazy but they are all cocker spaniels it doesnt matter if its show or working.

if ur having problems choosing just follow ur heart - make sure the breeder gives you help and information and has good intentions at heart then just go and see both puppies - you'll know as soon as you see them and cuddle them :)

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
I have to say a lot of these answer make me very angry why are you all so elitist? If some breeds and things weren't mixed you would wipe out the breed as they would end up so inbred they would have a lot of problems. working and show type is the same - where do you think they came from anyway - arent they the same breed. yes they have different priorites and look a little different but thats just the genetics of the breeding - every cocker is different in there own special way so whats your problem?????!!!???

I have 2 mixes and I wouldnt change them for the world and i would breed from them too. the point is you get a cocker spaniel whatever - yes some are more energetic - some look prettier - some are lazy but they are all cocker spaniels it doesnt matter if its show or working.

if ur having problems choosing just follow ur heart - make sure the breeder gives you help and information and has good intentions at heart then just go and see both puppies - you'll know as soon as you see them and cuddle them :)

Head above the parapet here. I have been involved in golden retrievers for years and we encourage the mixing of working and show dogs.

Eve

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

My "problem" is that there are literally thousands of dogs killed every year because there are not enough homes for them - and the only way of addressing that issue is to promote responsible breeding, ensuring that only the most exceptional examples of the breed contribute to the future genetic pool - for the sole purpose of maintaining a healthy genetic pool for the future  :-\ 

A show x working cocker spaniel is not going to be the best example of the breed - it is unlikely to excel in the field as a working dog, and it is unlikely to meet the breed standard for conformity - so it is a poor representative of a "cocker spaniel" and will have no exceptional qualities to pass on   :-\ 

It has taken literally generations to create some of the exceptional breed lines that are seen at Crufts, or on shoots up and down the country.......if we dilute these, and do not protect and maintain them, then they will be lost forever; and the work of dedicated and committed breeders over many years will have been wasted  :-\

Until there are more homes than dogs needing them, this country cannot afford the luxury of breeding pet stock - which is what a working x show strain cocker is bred for..... :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
William is show bred and a very easy dog to live with. He's laid back and relaxed at home and is lively on walks but not the sort that would expect or need to keep going all day. If we do a walk that involves a coffee shop or pub he's happy to have a break with us. You can take him pretty much anywhere and he'll just fit in.

We do agility and he loves that, although he doesn't have the speed that most working Cockers have round an agility course. But then neither do I, so we're very well suited!

He doesn't have a strong hunting drive, but does have a good nose. He likes to sniff things out on walks and will start following a trail, but I can call him back easily 99% of the time. It's a bit harder in spring when all the scents are fresh and there's loads of rabbits around, but still not a problem.

My personal preference would be a show type everytime, partly because I prefer their looks, but also I think they are generally a bit easier as they often don't have a strong work drive. But more importantly, I'd want to meet both parents to see what they were like and how busy or laid back they were.

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »
Mason is my first dog - he is a working cocker and he is fab  :luv: :luv:  I must admit when I first got him it was a shock to the system  ;)  His drive & energy seem endless but having said that if I am relaxing he is happy to relax by my side too  :luv:  At first I wondered if I had done the right thing getting a cocker but now (he is only 5 months old) I wouldn't and couldn't be without him.  The help from this site has been invaluable to me so take all advice on board but when it comes down to it only you will know which puppy is right for you  :D  Have fun choosing and please come back and let us know when you have decided

Elaine & Mason X

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »

It's not really the fact that mixing show/working breeding is wrong per se but that in the vast majority of cases, these kind of mixes are carried out by BYBs (who don't usually health screen) or commercial breeders looking to get particular fashionable colours. If show/working matings are done for a specific purpose by a knowledgable breeder who has done all the recommended health tests, then that's not necessarily a bad thing (I can think of a Working Cocker breeder who used a well-known show dog in the 80's to improve the look of his dogs) but when it's done in ignorance, without knowledge of the pedigrees and without health testing, then it's most definitely not to be recommended.

Jane

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
My two, Katie and Smudge were bought from obviously not the best breeder in the world, (from wot I read on here) Katie is a half work/show and Smudge a show strain, both love to run about in the fields and woods for an hour or more, but they also love to cuddle up on the sofa and I can leave them content whilst I go out. They were bought as pets (as are I believe the majority of dogs - whatever the breed) and as such  I have no aspirations for them other than to enjoy their company, and hopefully give them a fulfilling life with enough obedience, play, exercise and love to keep them happy and safe.

As they have both been neutered there is no chance of them carrying anything undesirable forward -should they indeed be carrying anything in the first place.

What you go for does really depend on what YOU want from your dog, but hopefully you will have an idea of people's experiences to help you.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »

It's not really the fact that mixing show/working breeding is wrong per se but that in the vast majority of cases, these kind of mixes are carried out by BYBs (who don't usually health screen) or commercial breeders looking to get particular fashionable colours. If show/working matings are done for a specific purpose by a knowledgable breeder who has done all the recommended health tests, then that's not necessarily a bad thing (I can think of a Working Cocker breeder who used a well-known show dog in the 80's to improve the look of his dogs) but when it's done in ignorance, without knowledge of the pedigrees and without health testing, then it's most definitely not to be recommended.

I agree and rescue centres are full of them ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LisaB

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:16 PM »
It is difficult to be patient with you but do take a look at the good breeder guidelines from this site.  COL isn't elitist, just responsible and the free advice you have asked for (and been given) from such experienced people is not to be taken for granted.  I wish I had known about this site before I bought my first puppy - I would have avoided all sorts of pitfalls.

The problem being pointed out here is that most who would do crosses like this, are not registering their dogs with the KC or even providing first vaccinations/endorsed pedigrees for puppies they sell and this isn't responsible breeding. 
You are right when you talk about the dangers of "inbreeding" (we all know you mean "by breeding from a restricted gene pool with problems" - don't debate this one now folks, different argument).  This is why lines and lineage should be studied and developed over generations and generations, specifically to eradicate health problems and breed for temperament and good breeders work very hard to ensure this happens by very careful and very detailed study.  There remains no reason to cross the lines, unless the breed has a current restricted gene pool or to breed away from an extreme type (where breeding has not considered health), neither of which I believe either strains have.