Author Topic: Cataracts and deafness  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Sara_Clara

Cataracts and deafness
« on: November 20, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
 Feeling totally devastated today.  Took our cocker Pebbles to the vets this morning for her annual booster/health check.  She is just over 9 years old.  Has been going a little deaf progressively over the last year which she is coping with.  However he has told me today that she has mild cataracts in both eyes.  Just can’t seem to get my head around it all.  Seems only a couple of years since I was posting on the puppy boards😢.  He says no treatment is sensible and can’t tell how quick her sight will deteriorate.

I just wondered does anyone have any experience of dogs with cataracts or blindness in older age.  Coupled with going deaf I just feel totally devastated for her.

Thank you.
Puppy Colour: Orange Roan
Puppy DOB: 22.04.2011
Puppy Name: Pebbles
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Cataracts and deafness
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
Sorry, have no experience of either but understand how you must be feeling, sending  :bigarmhug: and hope someone else on here can give you a bit more reassurance!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:08:58 PM »
I believe that here in UK there are referrals made to ophthalmology vets.  I have no idea of cost etc but have seen it posted her on COL.

Will try and find the links for you.  I do understand how shocked you must be...we had the vet mention Ollie's sight to us 2 years ago - sometimes they look glazed - I was shocked.  Two years on he is still just the same - sometimes I think is long vision is not as good, but he never misses a thing :D and still has me running after him at 13.  I have no doubt his eyes and hearing might not be as good but I think the gradual onset is something that shocks us more than him.  Rather like me a going up hill and my knee aches and wearing glasses etc....it sort of creeps up on us.

I am sure someone with knowledge will pop along - so keep checking in.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=114702.0

Found this from 2015....Hope Elaine will look in soon.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
I'm sorry, it is so tough when they start showing signs of aging, it's always too soon! I am currently experiencing a similar situation with my cocker. I'm pretty sure she is at least 90% deaf and her eyesight is very poor. Her lenses started going foggy a few years ago. I panicked at first, especially with the hearing loss I felt loss of eyesight was devastating. Now that I have had time to process I focus more on how she functions, than on what her diagnosis is. She is coping well with it so far, and she still has some eyesight left. I have to keep her on the lead on walks so she does not get lost. And when it's dark out I have to guide her so she doesn't run into things. But in day to day life she is still happy. It would be wonderful to have the funds and access to someone who does cataract surgeries. Those operations are magical! But since I don't, I try to remind myself that what matters is if she is coping and happy, and so far she is  :luv:

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »
Thank you so much everyone.  Mari your post really helped, to know of someone else going through the same issues.

I am getting my head around it a little and will just need to adapt as her sight gets worse.  Trying very hard to focus on the fact that she’s not in pain and that dogs live for the moment and adapt.

Just so cruel that there lives are so short in comparison .

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:47:22 PM »
Ben went deaf which I struggled with the idea of him not being able to hear me talking to him, as I had always chatted away and loved how he looked right at me 💕 but it bothered me more than him, he coped fine with hearing loss he very quickly learnt hand signals and it wasn’t until he got dementia that I used to put a long line on him as I was worried he would run off and not hear me to call him back.  His sight wasn’t too bad but as he got older he had cataracts, again he managed fine.

Harry has sight loss he has PRA and cataracts he is 11 1/2 now, but has been getting worse over a few years. Still super fit and over some weekends covering 30 miles mostly off lead. Bright sunlight affects his vision and he doesn’t manage in the dark. Our garden is lit up like Blackpool illuminations 😂 we make sure there is plenty of light Inside and outdoors and don’t move the furniture round much, he is more jumpy now if you drop something he gets anxious but being a rescue he has always been a bit nervy.

I do think we worry about them more than we need too, they just seem to get on with things and cope really well we overthink it. I worry less with Harry than I did with Ben as he was my first oldie, bu5 I know what you mean about it all going to fast, I would love to wind the clock back a few years for him 💕

I am sure Pebbles will adapt well xx

Offline Woodsam

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »
Hi there
I have recently lost our 17 year old cocker spaniel Ben who we adopted aged 10. He was in perfect health when we adopted him and had been well cared for. He developed cataracts, went deaf, and in his last year had vestibular disease. However...... he managed brilliantly. Walks became  a little slower to start but the sniffing did not diminish, neither did his ability to know when food was about..... just watch your fingers when giving treats!
He knew his way around our home and knew where his bed was and he was just fine. It is a gradual process and I think as long as you continue to give them lots of affection, especially cuddles, they know you are there and they feel secure.
Please don’t worry... they adapt very well.

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
Thank you so much Woodsam and Bens Mum.  Really appreciate your wise words.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
It is so sad when you realise this. Molly has more or less gone blind but not deaf yet (at similar age). Hers was quite sudden but she doesn't let it affect her so I follow her lead. Sadly she has a deformed wrist so its sometimes hard for her to get around
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!