Author Topic: Chasing things!  (Read 2069 times)

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
Re: Chasing things!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
Thanks Nicola for the reply and all the info, it does all make sense and I know better than to try and recall when she's off :( I was just hoping she would change her mind!!

I will order that book and take a read, she is the more energetic of the two so I feel bad for keeping her on a lead when she loves to run around and has lots of energy to burn! Lilly stays with me even when Kiwi is off chasing, so at least I only lose one dog! :-\ I will do more research and training, hopefully will work in the end!

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
I just had a look at your Flicker photos. What wonderful pictures of beautiful dogs.

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
I just had a look at your Flicker photos. What wonderful pictures of beautiful dogs.

David

Thank you :D  The Lab, Goldie, black German Shepherd and Border Collie in some of the photos belong to friends; the two ginger working Cockers and the liver working Cocker are mine! The little liver roan working Cocker is a foster dog I had for a while who was rehomed to a COL member. I used to post a lot of photos of my dogs on here but don't really find the time so much these days.

Kate, I would recommend that you take the dogs out individually as much as you can while you're working on Kiwi's chasing as you need to focus on her, and even if Lilly is well behaved there will be times when your attention is on her rather than on Kiwi and her environment. Plus that way Lilly also gets equal attention when she's out.

My dogs are all trained for working and/or competition, but when I get a new dog, regardless of if it's a very small puppy or a bit older, all of their out and about time is one on one just me and them until they have reached a level that I'm happy with. I don't do 'walks' with my puppies/young dogs, I take them out for 4-5 10-15 minute sessions a day but it's a mix of training and play with me, and I keep their focus on me at all times. I do not want them getting bored and learning to go and look for their own amusement, it's up to me to amuse them hence the short sessions and keeping the whole thing as a big fun, unpredictable game; there's lots of running around in random directions clapping my hands encouraging them to follow me, calling and talking to them in a very high pitched happy voice and getting down on the ground with them to play - I spend an awful lot of time kneeling, sitting or lying on the ground with puppy climbing all over me. I want them to learn that I am the ultimate fun a puppy can possibly have and I am the source of all enjoyment, but they never quite know what fun thing I'm going to do or bring out next so it pays to focus on me. The rule is that if I don't look and sound like a total idiot then I'm not trying hard enough :lol2: At no time do I ever let them go more than a few yards away from me. I would do the same with an older dog that had chase or recall issues. They get downtime/playtime/mooching around time with the other dogs every day but only in an area that I can totally control such as the garden or a very 'boring', completely animal free, smallish, securely fenced area, and they mix freely in the house, but when out anywhere else for exercise/training it's just me and them. I posted this thread shortly after I got Caoimhe, she was about 5 months old and we were working in an enclosed, gated park in Edinburgh city centre. This was where I did all of her initial training, she was made up to Field Trial Champion at 3 years old and her controlled start did her nothing but good: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=61372.0
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline rubybella

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
I couldn't agree more with what Nicola says.

I have been really working hard with my wcs on the stop whistle. If she flushes anything she wants to chase it. Like Nicola said, if this does happen I don't blow the whistle as it is setting her up to fail because I know that at the moment she is unlikely to stop. However, we did have a small breakthrough this morning when some ducks were on a large puddle ahead of us. I had the whistle in my mouth and as soon as I saw her spot them I blew, she stopped and I threw her ball. When she bought it back to me I let her carry on and the minute she started heading towards the ducks I blew again and she stopped, turned to me and I threw her ball again. At this point the ducks flew off and she came back with the ball. Job done  :D

Having the ball as a reward for stopping has been the breakthrough for her. It has made her more focused on me and as soon as she sees the whistle come out and the ball (bright pink, squidgy, squeaky) she has one eye on me.

Rabbits are still something we have to work on though  >:(