Author Topic: Entire male very unsettled  (Read 1923 times)

Offline pa.wilkins

Entire male very unsettled
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
We have a 3 1/2 year old male cocker, Dexter. He is not castrated - there has never seemed to be a need.

But over the last few days he has been so unsettled.  Whimpering constantly, sniffing furiously in the field opposite us whenever we are out, and now he has taken to crying, whining and howling by the back gate.  I'm wondering if he can smell a female in season and whether this is making him so unsettled? and if so, may be have him 'done' may be the kindest thing?  Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Re: Entire male very unsettled
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
Hi there - we too have an entire male , Bobby, who was 3 in August. Welcome to COL! :)

It could be a bitch in heat but has he reacted in this way before? Bobby doesn't usually bother about 'stuff like that' ;) If he hasn't done it before I would be surprised if it has just suddenly started but I'm no expert and maybe that's what happens. Someone with far more knowledge will be along soon with some good advice I'm sure.

I wonder if he can smell an animal in the field - maybe something has made a home there.
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline pa.wilkins

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
He's never reacted like this before.  He is a real sniffer, as all spaniels are and certainly this increases when there have been in season females about. But over the last few weeks he's had a few experiences where he has got up close to females who were in season/ about to be and he's had a really good sniff.  And then of course I've pulled him away, he's on his lead and off we go.

but whether this has ignited his interest, I don't know.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »
The behaviour you have described is exactly how our entire male Harvey used to be when there was a bitch in season nearby - together with not eating for days on end.....  I am not sure why Dexter would have suddenly started to behave like this at 3.5 years and not before (someone far more knowledgeable than me might be able to explain) but it certainly sounds like a boy who is distracted by feminine scent - you have my every sympathy because it can be very distressing to see your dog so het up. 

Poor Dexter  :luv:

Offline pa.wilkins

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
Aliceandlouis - can I ask - did you have Harvey castrated and did it make any difference?

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
No we didn't have him castrated - our 'problem' was actually a neighbours bitch, a cocker spaniel, who used to escape when in season and come to our house and flaunt herself outside the study window, strutting up and down and scenting all over the place - her owners thought it was funny  >:D

Harvey seemed better able to cope with the incidental scent of bitches on heat 'out and about' on his walks, but still showed tendencies towards the behaviour you described.  Other people on here have had their boys 'done' because of this sort of thing so hopefully someone will come along to answer your question  :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
Just a thought but it doesn't have to be a bitch. There seems to be a smell that he is very excited about but as we all know it could equally be something dead and disgusting! I onlt say this because a dressing of fish blood and bone meal on the veggie plot can have a similar effect. Cocker equivalent of Chanel No 5  :005:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
Whenever I turn the contents of our compost bin or add compost accelerator Chaz, our male worker, just can't stay away from it for a while. The accelerator does contain tiny amounts of fish meal and bone meal so it may be this that's attracting his attention.

Milly, our female cocker, isn't interested in the slightest and, after a cursory sniff, walks away from it but Chaz goes into full hoover mode sniffing all around the bin and trying to scratch his way into the compost.

Bob.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »

Maybe if his behaviour lasts for roughly the length of a bitch's season or less, and then stops, you could say maybe that was it? 

Our dogs are very het up regarding squirrels at the moment, as they're all coming down to earth stashing their winter supplies.

Offline pa.wilkins

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
After a pretty much sleepless night where Dexter was just howling and howling, I rang the vet this morning.  Anyway the long and short of it - we had him chemically castrated this morning.  The vet recommended it because its much quicker to take effect than normal castration, and its temporary so we could see if it has any effect - she said any effect would take 2 - 4 days .

Anyway, its now 3 hours since it was done, and he is a completely changed dog!!!   :blink:   my husband just has just taken him for a walk - he's sniffing of course, but nowhere near as bad or manically, not pulling as much, more attentive.  since he got home, there's been no whining or howling - he just seems a lot more contented.....    it's so far looking really good, we're so pleased  :)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
That sounds a very good idea, at least you can see if castration will help him & you have a much happier dog atm.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.