Author Topic: Cross breed (Show and working mix) Advice  (Read 3952 times)

Offline SonThom

Cross breed (Show and working mix) Advice
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:51:50 PM »
Hello - I’m hoping to get some advice. We are researching breeders and looking for a cocker puppy to join our family. We have a 5 year old. Today on our walk we met a lovely cocker with a gorgeous temperament and so I asked the owner the breeder. Turns out he is a show/working mix. I’ve spoken to the breeder today and they tell me they have pups from a mix show/working dam and a mix sire. Not KC registered. The dam is the breeder’s dog apparently and they’ve chosen to breed with her as she has a lovely temperament. I’m not sure - would you steer clear? Would very much appreciate your thoughts. It is such a minefield and I’m keen to do the right thing by the breed and for our family!

Thank you!

Online AndyB

• Donator
Re: Cross breed (Show and working mix) Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:27:23 PM »
Working cockers are very high energy dogs. They will go all day whereas a show cocker does not require the high level of exercise that the working cocker does.  It depends what you want from your dog.  Obviously a crossbreed would have some of the traits from the working dog. 

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
We have four working cockers and a show type. 

The challenge with any cross, cross breed or mongrel is that you won’t really know what you are getting.  The coat is likely to be dominant but may not be, energy levels and training needs may be higher than a show type but there are no guarantees!

Personally I would go for a pure bred dog and pay the extra (not the current silly prices) for a fully health tested, registered pup.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
Any dog is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you are getting unless you read the ingredients. Even then you can still get a surprise  :shades: ph34r :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Online AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 05:34:50 AM »
Any dog is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you are getting unless you read the ingredients. Even then you can still get a surprise  :shades: ph34r :luv:

:011: :011:  That made me laugh MIN, and so true.

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »
If both parents are cocker spaniels, then it would just be a cross of strain working/show,  rather than a crossbreed which would be the case if 1 parent were cocker spaniel and the other parent was say a CKCharles, or maybe Springer, etc. or some other completely different breed.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick - apologies if so  :-\
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.