Author Topic: Colitis and steroids  (Read 2756 times)

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
Colitis and steroids
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
 Hi I haven't posted on here for quite some years. Ruby is 11 years old now and for the last 8 months has suffered very badly with her stomach. She originally started to become very stressed on an evening  and after sleeping in her crate for all her life, would not settle. She would become very distressed and this lead to her having an upset stomach. She also started having problems with her back and the vet said she has a narrowing of the spine so gave her loxicom which aggravated her stomach more and she had to stop taking it. She has been sick blood and went through a really unwell stage, with a kidney infection and severe anaemia. She was put on steroids and has been taking these over the last few months but this led to other problems. She has been off all medication now for 3 weeks but her colitis has flared back up again. Her bottom is really sore and she struggles to poo before having bad diarrohea. We have changed her diet and watch every thing she eats. She is lethargic and generally fed up, I know the vet will want to put her back on steroids, but then we will be back to square one when she stops these again. I have today got some yudigest tablets a probiotics tablet, which I am hoping will help. Anyone had any similar problems or any advice welcome?
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Colitis and steroids
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
Slippery elm powder is good for many gut problems,   It makes a slimy coating in the gut which Soothes food transit and allows faster healing. It is completely harmless.
I don’t know anything about backs, just check the small print on the meds for side effects
What have they done about the anaemia?.  Have they checked for B12 deficiency which is a different blood rears from the general panel.  Anaemia is very debilitating, and a course of injections is quicker than tablets, especially if the guts are not working properly.  It causes weakness, brain fog, anxiety and confusion.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
Thank you for your advice. Yes the anaemia is under control and her last blood tests came back ok. I will look into the slippery elm, I am willing to try anything to ease this for her.
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:38 AM »
I've used Dorwest for years and they are very helpful when you call them aswell.

https://www.dorwest.com/category/shop-by-condition/digestive/

Sharon.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
Gemma had a bad case of colitis. Her vet said that they usually try other treatment before steroids but as gemma was really suffering she had them straight away.  after 2 weeks of fish and chicken we started her on eukanuba daily care  for sensitive digestion. It has been good for her, nice solid poops and only 1 a day as opposed to 3  ph34r
I would hate her to get it again as it was nasty for her and me as chief bottom cleaner
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----